Maxbialystock
Old-Timey Member-
Posts
21,348 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
6
Content Type
Profiles
Boston Red Sox Videos
2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking
Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker
News
2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Maxbialystock
-
I would agree if in fact it was best for the team. But it absolutely was not. Toro and Gonzalez have been excellent at 1band way better than Casas was. His injury was a blessing for the team. Meanwhil, Devers was having a career year at the plate as DH. That's why Breslow couldn't convince Cora to tell Devers he should play 1b. You guys are falling for this "best for the team" crap because Breslow went public with it and even got JH involved.
- 827 replies
-
- rafael devers
- jordan hicks
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm not sure about superstar, but agree his was our 2d best bat after Bregman, who will be out until July. I agree with how the team has been playing recently--this is very bad timing. On the other hand, that big salary could be applied to a bigger need--better pitching.
- 827 replies
-
- rafael devers
- jordan hicks
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Before the season started Devers had to accept losing 3b, which he loved playing and had played for 8 seasons. Bregman was simply better. So Cora convinced Devers to embrace DH, which he in fact did and became the 2d best bat on the team and at one point at the most rbi's in MLB. It was after all that happened that Breslow got the idea that, with Casas out, the team's second best bat had to be moved yet again, this time to a position he had never played. To me that was just dumb because what we have in fact seen is that Toro and Gonzalez are way better then Casas was when he was hurt. To make matters worse, Breslow went public with Devers refusal and even got the owner involved. Now it was a huge deal that garnered headlines everywhere. Devers was a bum, a quitter, a problem. I disagree with that characterization, but Breslow made it a big deal, so of course Devers had to go. Now that the deal is done, I think the Sox will hurt with their two best bats out, but agree Devers' salary can now be applied to other needs.
- 827 replies
-
- rafael devers
- jordan hicks
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
To what end? Devers didn't like being displaced from a position he had played for 8 years, but Cora got him to embrace DH, where he did pretty well. Meanwhile, the loss of Casas was a net positive because Toro and Gonzalez are both better. There was absolutely no need to move Devers to 1b. Did I forget to mention that Devers would probably have committed more errors, both mental and physical, than he ever did at 3b?
- 827 replies
-
- rafael devers
- jordan hicks
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Exactly the way I see it. Not a trade but a dumping of Devers salary and disgruntlement. I have backed Devers relentlessly this season, but have also agreed he's being paid an awful lot to be the DH. Season to date, by far the two best Sox bats have been Bregman and Devers. Coming at a time when the Sox have gone 8-2 in their last 10 games and climbed back above .500, the message here seems to be: forget this season and keep cheering for our three rookies. They are the future. In addition, Devers salary/contract will be put to use in acquiring more pitching or whatever.
- 827 replies
-
- rafael devers
- jordan hicks
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'll just bet you were delighted when JH didn't renew Francona's contract after the 2011 season. For 2012 they brought in a monster--no doubt picked by that CBO--who lasted one season. The very next season Farrell managed the Sox to their 3d WS win in the JH era--but JH fired him after the 2017 season even though the Sox went to the postseason in 2016 and 2017. Cora has stayed--missing the 2020 nonseason--because he's good. Forget 2018 and look at the amazing job he did with the 2021 Sox, especially in the postseason when as a wild card they made it to the ALCS without a closer and with a team ERA ranked 15th in MLB. JH has stuck with Cora because JH knows he's good and because JH knew that the team wasn't getting the full support of management, specifically with regard to signing good pitchers. Sale and Price poisoned that well. Like everyone else, I love having three rookies on the active roster. They represent the future. However, unlike you, I'm not ready to kiss this season goodbye and let Campbell, Mayer, and Anthony start every game as you no doubt want them to do. In fact, I like the way Cora has given them opportunities--largely because Bregman and then Abreu went on the IL--while at the same time managing to win games. Mayer has missed some starts, and so has Anthony. How well has Cora managed? After Bregman's last game the Sox were 26-26, the Sox plummeted to 30-35, but now they are 1 game above .500 despite playing the Rays and Yankees over the last 9 games. I'm guessing you hate this resurgence because you want the Sox to collapse and Cora to be fired. And I feel the exact opposite. I've rooted like crazy for the Sox since 1949, and that included 55 seasons of the 86 year drought. In too many seasons the Sox had what we called the "June swoon." We are now in the John Henry era, by far the best in Sox history. We no more need to fire Cora than we did Francona after the 2011 season (when his contract ran out). I'm all for getting good pitching. You can never have enough. I won't mind trading one of our outfielders when Abreu returns (June 20) and we have 5: Abreu, Anthony, Rafaela, Ref, and Duran. I would love for another team to take over Yoshida's contract, but seriously doubt that will happen. Right now he simply is not needed on this team because Devers is a far better DH. I of course think Breslow is better than Bloom, but let's not forget that JH has loosened up the purse strings as he refused to do for CB. No way, no how would JH have allowed a Crochet to get the contract he now has. Ditto Bregman's $40M. Also, as I keep reminding everyone (ad nauseum), Breslow dumped Sale and replaced him with Giolito. We make the postseason last year if Breslow had simply kept Sale and ignored Giolito. Breslow also bypassed his manager to tell Devers he should place 1b. Dumb! Replacing Casas has been painless because he was having a lousy season and both Toro and Gonzalez are much better. Nevertheless, because this is Breslow's first shot at CBO, he should get some leeway.
-
For now, I prefer to focus on what the Sox are doing because it's downright amazing. They lost Bregman on May 23d and then nosedived from 27-26 to 30-35 and are now back to 1 game over. In the absence of Bregman, Devers OPS dropped from .984 to .905. Nevertheless, he is still 3d in MLB in rbi's with 58. The leader (Alonso) has 63 and Judge has 60. Meanwhile, a bunch of other guys have emerged, plus the rotation was stunning this weekend. Now comes a daunting trip to the West Coast and Seattle, the Giants, and the Angels.
-
My guess is that the zeal to fire Cora might have been tempered somewhat by the past 9 games. I've always favored him, but I do not especially give him credit for what appears to be a real turnaround. I give the credit to the players, especially the rotation. Now a quick flight to Seattle followed by the Giants in SF and the Angels in LA. A tough road trip, but I think there's a day off in there.
-
Meanwhile, we can ignore that we have just Crochet, Dobbins, and Bello pitch 21.1 innings while giving up 1 freaking run to the Yankees. You guys need to keep up with what's happening--or what seems to happening. I'd like more starters too, but right now I'm borderline ecstatic about the rotation. As for the lefty bats, I frankly don't give a darn. The Sox hit lefties better than righties, and today Cora had 7 righty bats in the lineup. You guys are trying to fix something that right now doesn't need fixing. On the other hand, I can't resist saying I'm completely disgusted with Devers. He has done his best to be the savior of the Yankees pitching staff. His OPS has dropped 100 points since Bregman went on the IL. He's in the right position, DH, and he's being paid a king's ransom, so he must deliver at the plate and emphatically is not.
-
Guess what? Abreu may not hit lefties, but the Sox do. Against righties their OPS is .742 and against lefties .787. They also have had just 648 at bats vs lefties and almost three times as many, 1796, against righties. I honestly don't have a preference between Duran and Abreu. I would trade the one that gets the Sox the best value in return.
-
Disagree. He sure ain't earning his salary, but I still like his consistency at SS or 2B. It's his hitting that is the problem, which of course means the Sox will have to pay a percentage of his salary wherever he goes. His OPS in 10 games this month is .870. I think our best infield is Bregman, Mayer, Story, and Toro with Campbell and/or Gonzalez and/or Hamilton as backups.
-
Agree with who you want to keep. However, I also think the Sox must get value in return. So, if Abreu gets better value in return, I would trade him in heartbeat. By value I mean good arms, bullpen and/or starter. This is an excellent topic because I think the Sox need to do something when Abreu gets back, which should be next week. When Bregman returns in July, another move has to be made.

