Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

UtahSox

Verified Member
  • Posts

    778
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by UtahSox

  1. I’m being facetious…. Cuz we just need to stop messing around to save a couple million and end up losing him too.
  2. I’ll go the other way, use a supposition but not give Breslow the benefit of the doubt that you do almost every time. I wonder if Suarez like really wants to be in Boston. Why? The ballpark fits his swing perfectly, he gets to join a team that’s gonna be a winner, oh, and it’s the Boston Red Sox. Everybody wants to play for the Boston Red Sox. He’s willing to take a discount, except Beta Breslow is still is holding his feet to the fire on the no trade clause. And Suarez doesn’t want to give a discount only to be shipped off for relief pitching in July that Breslow thinks he can unlock. Like May or Hicks last year..
  3. I do disagree about Bello hook in game 2, he was getting hit hard. Felt like it was teetering. Don’t disagree with this pitching staff being deep BEFORE adding Gray and Suarez…… but also Ranger Suarez postseason performances have been stuff of legend. I’m freaking excited for that contingency plan if we end up in wild card and you have to face Crochet/ Suarez on back to back nights. *IF ANY of Kutter/Tolle/ Oviedo/ Early take a leap forward….. this could be insane
  4. Yup! He makes us better so yeah.
  5. ok so since you can’t without a shadow of a doubt know who said no/ thought the other guy was bluffing you absolve him of most blame? moving on…., I’d say the Ranger vs Bregman signing comparison is incomplete, IF it was the last move of 2026 season then I’d say AB is more valuable to this team based on other holes in roster. IF we sign or trade for a serviceable OFFENSIVE 2nd/3rd baseman….. then I would agree with you Suarez > Bregman. I’m also not going to pretend to know what contract is going to be better in year 4 & 5. One thing I can say for certain I sure wish we could have handed Ranger the ball in game 2 vs Yankees last year.
  6. At least you’re admitting his plan never ever turns out. The fact you think our current roster, and options are his Plan B is funny because I believe we are probably on plan F. And if you dissect the transactions desperation definitely sets in.
  7. Moon, you sound like my mother-in-law making excuses for her son’s bad decisions. It’s always someone else’s fault—trauma from 30 years ago, friends who are doctors or finance bros influencing him to make bad decisions but it’s not his fault. At some point, if you’re Craig Breslow and you hold the job, you’re responsible for what you say and what you do. These ownership constraints, bad luck etc just don’t land anymore. Yes, we don’t know the exact conversations between John Henry and Breslow. But we do know what Breslow has said publicly. And I’d imagine that shiny Yale diploma on his wall taught him at least one basic lesson: don’t say things to the media unless you’re confident you can back them up. Or, at minimum, check with ownership before you do. So when he tells us “we’ll be big players at the trade deadline” and we end up with some curly red-haired guy who absolutely can’t pitch, that’s not bad luck. That’s a failure of expectation-setting. There is accountability there. <Strike 1> Then came the end-of-season comments, which—credit where it’s due—were actually spot on: We need a middle-of-the-order bat and a legitimate No. 2 starter. That messaging strongly suggested a plan: maybe keeping Bregman, maybe adding a Pete Alonso–type bat, and pairing that with a real top-end arm. Instead, he finds a “good deal” with the Cardinals that kind of fills those needs if you squint hard enough. And by “fills,” I mean only with a generous amount of imagination. <strike two.> Then we get to the Bregman fiasco—which has been discussed plenty—but there’s another angle that matters. It looks increasingly like Framber Valdez might have been available on a short, two-year type deal. The speed with which Breslow pivoted after the Bregman situation collapsed felt desperate, not calculated. And while Ranger Suárez is a great addition, Framber Valdez by most accounts is the better pitcher. It looks like he could have been had on a 2 yr deal…. I’ll add I like Suárez, and if we get to postseason he is virtually unhittable —which should be a blast to watch when it happens. But it looks like desperation to me. So now here we sit. Breslow still has options. He can: 1. Spend a little more money without mortgaging the future, bring in Suarez on a short one- or two-year deal. 2. Or make a trade that hurts a bit, but actually lands a real difference-maker at second or third base This team is not boxed in. This team has options. But based on what he himself has told the media, it’s hard not to conclude that his plans and negotiation tactics simply aren’t working. Making excuses for him at this point is asinine. Does John Henry kind of suck as an owner these days? Yes. Could Henry be placing real constraints on Breslow behind the scenes? Also yes. But Breslow is still the one going in front of microphones, telling fans what’s going to happen—and then repeatedly falling astronomically short. That part is not on ownership. That’s on competence, execution, and the ability to sell Fenway, which should be one of the easier jobs in baseball. Literally a tie goes to the Red Sox every time. please don’t take one sentence out of this entire admitted the way too long diatribe, and dissect it, take the opinion on the whole. Which is yes we do not have Breslow and JH phone conversations/text messages,but there is a pattern of incompetence that has grown at a really fast rate over the last 14 months.
  8. I like the idea of Donovan but I don’t think St Louis wants Bello or Duran. (Just speculating where they are in the reboot.) I’d trade him for Harrison, Romero and Casas. But then I think you still need a power right handed bat. Suarez and Donavan would be best case scenario. With what’s available/ realistic.
  9. At this point I don’t see what is stopping us from signing Suarez….. oh wait I bet he wants a NTC and Beta Breslow isn’t willing to do it. I’m calling my shot right now….. They will sign Miguel Andujar to a 2yr 20m deal with year 2 mutual option…. and say the advanced analytics blah blah blah…..
  10. The real issue with this addition and not a trade, is the downstream roster math. You still have to figure out what to do with Campbell, Casas, Hicks, Yoshida, Crawford, and Patrick Sandoval. That’s a lot of talent, and it creates pressure on both the 26-man and the 40-man. Quite frankly, some of those players are becoming either obsolete from a roster-construction standpoint, cash commitments without a clear role, or talented pieces with no realistic path to playing time. That’s not an indictment of the players per se. In that situation, it may actually make more sense to convert surplus into value now. Trading from that group could bring back a high-end prospect, controllable down line 2028 and beyond pitching, or future flexibility, while also clearing 40-man space.
  11. Did anyone see the Cotillo article today? The idea of adding Suárez actually is making a lot of sense. He gives you an everyday third baseman. He’s obviously not great defensively and he’s not a batting-average or OBP guy, but he does bring right-handed power, and that profile plays really well at Fenway. Home runs matter, and he provides legitimate pop. More importantly, he gives the roster flexibility. With Suárez in the mix, you can rotate Duran and the other three outfielders across four spots, which buys you options and insulation. It basically allows you to avoid forcing a trade right now. You can let it ride, see how injuries shake out, and only make a move later if something too good to pass up presents itself, or you get the opportunity to trade for impact 3b like Paredes or 2b like Donavan/ Hoerner/ Gleyber Torres/ India/ Gavin Lux/ B Lowe… that deal does come along, Suárez slides easily to DH or stays at third, and you can still run your best lineup. That kind of optionality feels very on-brand for Breslow. We know injuries are coming — it’s just a question of where. Without Suárez, a couple of key injuries create real holes in the lineup, where you’re suddenly relying on Romy González vs righties or Marcelo Mayer vs lefties, etc. That’s a big drop-off. To me, this move isn’t about perfection. Signed with Baltimore and Chicago over the last month. It’s about choices. Suárez gives you coverage, flexibility, and time — and that feels like a Brelowian way to manage the roster right now.
  12. My argument would be did you watch the 2025 postseason? Home runs have value. And it goes up in October.
  13. There’s intrinsic value in a lineup that goes beyond simple apples-to-apples WAR comparisons. Roster construction is about composition and fit. Just like any good relationship, players fill different roles and cover for each other’s weaknesses. That’s why someone like Pete Alonso would’ve been a massive addition, even if the WAR gap looks small on paper. He’s the bat that changes how the entire lineup is pitched. He’s the guy everyone’s afraid of making one mistake to. With Roman Anthony, pitchers aren’t thinking “intentional walk.” They’re thinking, “Stay off the inner half and live with a walk.” That’s manageable, especially when you know the next two hitters have to string something together. With Alonso…… or even someone like Eugenio Suárez…… one bad pitch and you’ve given up 2 runs. That kind of threat forces different pitch sequencing, to Roman, and that creates mistakes, and elevates everyone around him. WAR doesn’t capture that.
  14. I mean, are you OK with comparing the Red Sox to the Washington Nationals and the Miami Marlins? Cause, if so, we’re kicking butt, inherently we are in a different world. Look, I live and work in Utah, from a geographic standpoint, I’ve had no family live in Boston in over 100 years. I just as easily could have grown up a Minnesota Twins fan. But the brand is part of what drew me in. And the Yankees winning in the 90s. My parents live in Southern California, when the Red Sox play the Dodgers, the Angels, or the Padres, I take my family to the games. Due to my parents living there, and my kids love of baseball we go to games every time we visit grandma and grandpa regardless of who they are playing. When the Red Sox are in town, it is different. I promise you there are 100 times more Red Sox fans in Southern California than Miami Marlins fan. To ignore that would be idiotic. Yes I only compare the Boston Red Sox to the aforementioned eight teams.
  15. They felt the need to go trade back for Correa. He’s still very young, and very well could play at a much higher level. There is a lot of risk in Cam, and if we are playing for October, which all indications are yes. Then Cam Smith is this probably not the answer.
  16. Not a massive drop off at all, but Duran is currently going to be primarily DH. So the real comp is Duran vs his DH replacement if he isn’t here (traded). I personally would like to see them add one more bat before spring training, and a good one…. Not this Otto Lopez bull sh*t…….. my hope would be trade a pitcher or 2. See how the lineup shakes out into may and June then go get a rental. Or best case scenario get serious now, and go get the best second baseman in baseball for Hell’s sakes.
  17. We keep doing this same argument: I don’t get why people here keep comparing the Red Sox to all 30 teams. There’s a very clear tier structure in MLB and everyone knows it. There’s one group of teams that intends to compete every single year, and another group that survives by developing talent, enjoying a few good years, then selling players to the top tier. That’s just reality. For most of the last 20 years, the Red Sox were firmly in the top 2–3 organizations in baseball. Lately, we’ve fallen out of that tier while others moved up — and that’s the problem. From a revenue, fan base, and brand standpoint, the Red Sox have very few true peers: the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs. Just below that are big-market or aggressive ownership teams like the Mets, Padres, Phillies, Blue Jays, and maybe the Giants or Braves if they’re run properly. The rest of the league is irrelevant for comparison. The Red Sox should never be measured against teams like the Rays, Royals, Rockies, etc. Any comparison should start with the big four — maybe the big eight — and nowhere else. And with that establishment, we might not even be middle of the pack. 6th out of 8 isn’t great.
  18. Amazing how much you guys glaze these stats as a CFer. It’s not that I dislike him, I like him, and would rather trade Harrison and a couple fringe 40 pitchers….. But to get Paredes, I think we will lose an OFer, and I would rather trade CR than Wilyer or JD….. He is a good player, even though he batted .189 last half of 2025. I just don’t think he will ever be what JD is offensively…. So many on here prop him up for a couple timely hits. I think he is by far the least valuable outfielder based on other deficiencies in the lineup.
  19. Sweet go get Paredes…, 1- Duran 2- Paredes 3- Anthony 4- Contreras 5- Abreu 6- Story L-R-L-R-L-R I didn’t know how good paredes was at not striking out… that would be a perfect number two hitter.
  20. This is exactly my thoughts: Agree again. If we end up without Isaac Paredes, I think it becomes pretty clear the lineup really only has one true bat you have to pitch around. There are some very good hitters, but there isn’t anyone else who truly stresses you out as an opposing manager. And honestly, even with Paredes, I’m not sure that fundamentally changes. He’s a good add, but he doesn’t alter how teams game-plan the lineup. That’s why I think it’s imperative we keep Jarren Duran and Abreu…… In a lineup without a true star hitter or possibly 1 (as of today). Duran and Abreu are simply more valuable than Ceddanne Rafaela and his beautiful defense. Duran creates pressure every time he’s on base — speed, aggressiveness, forcing mistakes — and that matters even more when you don’t have multiple elite bats behind him. And we need abreu’s home run threat for a pennant chase in Sept/Oct. 2 thoughts: 1-Depending on how Houston values Rafaela, maybe you could tie Jordan Hicks with Rafaela for Paredes? Freeing up some money. You could add a Suarez as DH, even a Hoskins or Goldschmidt…… or maybe go get another fourth out fielder for DH/ 4OF like a Harrison Bader. Bader doesn’t seem like he has a really strong market. The one thing is very evident in my comments is I think the Yoshida experiment is over. He is what he is, and it’s just not good enough. 2- is very different, I hadn’t really allowed myself to consider until now: second base doesn’t have to be solved immediately. There’s a strong group of second basemen hitting free agency at the end of the year, which gives you real flexibility to grab a mid-season rental from June through September. That also buys time to see what you actually have in Rafaela/Marcelo Mayer bats, instead of forcing a rushed decision. But if come, September, we have a platoon add second base, Marcelo Meyer is injured, or not playing great at third base, and we didn’t pick up a second baseman this is a massive failure for Breslow.
  21. Who else is big league ready on Astros? that could make us better if they insist on Wilyer? or can we get off Hicks? Free up cash to sign a free Agent?
  22. I think this team can’t afford to lose Duran bat in lineup, he is such a better baseball player than Yoshida. I’d like to see Bello for Paredes straight up. Maybe another fringe 40 pitcher. 1) Duran 2) Paredes 3) Anthony 4) Contreras 5) Abreu 6) Story 7) Rafaela 8) Mayer 9) Rafaela ————— 10) Casas 11) Romy Crochet, Suarez, Gray, Sandoval, Oviedo, Early, Tolle, Crawford, Harrison
  23. I agree whole heartedly moon. If you can get Suarez on a 2yr 36m- 2yr 40m. And Ketel Marte for Rafaela+ MLB SP + Witherspoon type that is our absolute ceiling in terms of having some power additions for 2026 To lineup.
  24. I watched the highlight of Carrabis asking ownership if they were still committed to Red Sox? Or working on other projects took priority? The question was met with visible indignation from JH. I loved to see his ego take the hit, he didn’t know how to respond.
  25. Donavan would much less than Marte for good reason. I think Marte is a better baseball player than Bregman. Maybe Beta Breslow goes back to well 1 more time for Donavan? and then adds Paredes… That would not exhaust resources. Like Marte (allow you to keep both Early/ Tolle)
×
×
  • Create New...