So after a few days to ponder, read some scouting reports, watch some video, contemplate, get some rest, and get a few home cooked Colombian meals I think I've come around on this trade. I never really hated Pomeranz, and I actually advocated trading for him as opposed to Teheran weeks earlier in the trade thread. I only had a problem with the value the Sox gave up. Sometimes I don't necessarily disagree with a stance, but I have a problem with the argument. As someone who is prospect lover (or nut huger if you want to be a dick about it), and believes in building from within I guess I feel like people found it easy to discount the value we gave up and some of the red (perhaps more yellow at this point) flags around Pomeranz. I get it, as the old saying goes "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush" and this is the price of admission for a team that has a real chance to compete in the post season this year.
With that said, I had a real problem with people thinking we sold high on Espinozas status based on his A league stats; he's the youngest player in the league and tiring mechanics likely is playing a large function of his performance. The sky is still the limit with this kid. Also, I found it very misleading and inappropriate to compare Owens to Espinoza because the greater scouting community that hypes up Espinoza as a potential true TOTRS and ace never had that level of praise for Henry Owens. The real risk with Espinoza, is his youth and his size, which is someone mitigated by his increase in size and his smooth mechanics and delivery that allows him to throw in the high 90's with ease and little wear and tear. However on the other side of the equation you have a guy like Pomeranz who by many accounts has made real adjustments making his new found status as a real TOTRS very real. I think you also can't discount DD's history of finding guys like Pomeranz and what we think he can be here. The only real guy that DD ever traded away that turned into a complete stud was Randy Johnson, but if you look at what he got back for him it wasn't exactly a bad trade.
Again, this is the price of admission and I don't think we should discount the fact that the Sox F.O. has shown the team that they are invested in them, and are going for it. Trading away Espinoza might come back to bite us in the ass one day, but if Pomeranz gives us a real chance to win this year and helps the team for the following two it's a good trade. As I've said before, the other team has to think they've won the trade for the trade to work. Another narrative that I had a problem with is that Teheran would have cost Espinoza plus 2 other top prospects. There is a difference between what a team asks and what they get, I'd be willing that San Diego's very first proposal probably involved Espinoza+ or Moncada+ and something along the lines of DD offering a multip Prospect package or a you can have 1 of these guys not named Moncada or Benintendi took place. I would not be surprised if in an parallel universe a team like Atlanta would easily fold and be happy with just Espinoza for Teheran; however I'm very glad we traded for Pomeranz instead.
Stepping back and looking at the big picture, DD has filled just about ever hole on this team. He brought in a RHH bat that can play multiple positions and take touch LHP at bats at 3B, he brought in a late innings reliever, and he brought in a guy who can perform at the top of the rotation. Considering this team has the best offense in baseball, and the potential for better internal performance in their pitching I think these moves will be HUGE down the stretch.
As I said multiple pages back, I think you can hate and love this trade at the same time but I think I'm a bit more excited about it now that I was earlier.