Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Me too, except, thank goodness, I didn't post during this game. But I sure had 7 innings of dark thoughts. Like most, I retain those about HanRam and Pablo.
  2. Thanks for starting the game thread, station but especially for that lineup. Beni down to 5th and Bradley 7th. I like that. Sandoval 9th,which I also like even though he stinks so far. 5 lefty bats against a righty starter--good again. HanRam 6th--hmm. Brian Johnson starting. He's 2-0 with 14K's and an ERA of 2.57, so maybe there is hope. Zimmerman reported has his slider working again--all the more reason for those lefty bats and for moving HanRam down a notch or two.
  3. A lot of negativity on this thread. Despite moonslav's admonitions that things will improve, I'm inclined to agree with the negativity because I think the biggest factor is the absence of Ortiz, which is unfixable. With Ortiz gone, the next best thing beyond question is Betts, which means I pretty much agree with bosoxmal. Might I add that we are in pretty uncharted waters this season--so far, anyway. Historically, a Sox team that ain't scoring a lot ain't winning. But these guys are winning--above .500 anyway--and are just 3 games back of the Yankees and in top position for a wild card slot. I mean, how bad can that be?
  4. Wild applause. Well done. I'm not at all sure how to interpret it, but it's definitely intriguing.
  5. I agree with you and will cite just one example. In 2013 when the Sox won it all, Buchholz had a magnificent first half of the season, got injured, and didn't figure in the second half and in the playoffs, which the Sox won with great pitching. That's why they made the deal for Peavy, who wasn't all that great. This year the pitching has been pretty good despite the absence of Price--who now seems to be regressing--and Wright,who was in full regression mode before going on the DL. And the biggest problem with the hitting is not, repeat not, the absence of Pedroia, but the absence of Ortiz. Farrell has used, what, 40 different guys at 3B? Marrero got the job because, while he can't hit,he can actually field and throw the ball. The presence or absence of Sandoval at 3B has not been a factor except in helping to determine his future disposition (stay or go). HanRam's inability to play 1B because of injury is a blessing which got Travis some games. Four of our best hitters--Betts, Bogaerts, Beni, and Moreland--have played in 56 or 55 games, most on the team. Our two catchers have caught every inning. I have been for the most part a Farrell defender, but last night I saw something that pissed me off. Price pitched a lousy game because he insisted on throwing nothing but fastballs and cut fastballs, and neither the pitching coach nor the manager was interested in doing anything about it. I am pretty sure the pitching coach went out to the mound at least twice to talk to Price, plus of course Farrell had every opportunity at the end of every inning. I have to admit, however, that a great game--short of a shutout--by Price last night wouldn't have helped. This team can't hit decent pitching, especially on the road.
  6. Completely agree the reporters are obnoxious and relentless. My interpretation of Price's reaction, however, is that it shows he can't think or evaluate himself. Last night he went out there and threw mostly fastballs which the Yankees loved, and he got clobbered. He apparently thinks--and I use that term advisedly--he doesn't need to mix his pitches. Indeed, I would almost argue that the worst thing that could have happened as a result of his time on the DL is getting his fastball back up to 95-96 mph. Now he wants to be Nuke Laloosh, but without a good catcher to guide him.
  7. So I have to ask: would agree this team needs at least one .900 OPS hitter? Last year we had two, Ortiz and Betts. This year we have none. I don't think Bogaerts will get there because of the power/dinger issue. And forget HanRam because all he wants to do his get his exercise at the plate by swinging as hard as he can. Benintendi is possible, but only that--and certainly not probable. Which means, I think, that if a .900 hitter is kind of important, Betts needs to be that guy and isn't. I will, however, grant you that Betts is only one of several--Pedroia, Beni, HanRam, JBJ, etc --underperformers on this team, hitting-wise.
  8. Stupid thread title--really stupid. This is a player vs. media issue, about which I have to say the Boston sportswriters appetite for going after ballplayers ain't no secret. You get the big bucks, and you know you will get scrutiny and commentary--see Ted Williams. So I think Price needs to just cool his jets. But I want to say one more thing about Price. Now that he's healthy again and can throw 95-96 mph fastball after fastball, he needs to get smart and stop over-relying on it. Sale had the exactly same problem this season, and it culminated on May 30, when he gave up 6 runs and went just 5 innings in Chicago and then gave up 3 more in the first inning of his next start, June 4, at Baltimore. Sale loved his fastball, and opposing teams loved it almost as much. But a funny thing happened. In the 2d inning at Baltimore, Sales started throwing curves, changeups, etc, and then went five scoreless innings--I'm guessing the longest scoreless inning run since back in April. A good fastball, I would argue, is never enough for a starter. Heck, I'm not even sure it's enough for a reliever. Which leads me to this question: why are the idiot pitching coach and Farrell allowing--maybe even encouraging--this stupid approach to pitching--you know, showing them your heat (Nuke Laloosh). My goodness, even Kimbrel needs that knuckle curve, which he can throw for strikes, to keep the hitter off balance. MLB hitters can in fact hit 100 mph fastballs if they know that's what's coming. Nava did it early in his career against Verlander--got a clean opposite field hard hit single against a 100 mph fastball. Last night I kept saying in the game thread that Price was throwing way too many fastballs and cut fastballs. Now just maybe he couldn't throw his breaking stuff--primarily a changeup and a knuckle curve--with any authority or accuracy. That's possible. But I didn't even see him try until after he'd given up 4 runs. So, yes, Price is screwing up, but he ain't alone. The pitching coach and the manager aren't helping one bit. When Price pitches his side or whatever it's called between starts, he needs to work on his breaking pitches. As soon as he starts mixing up his pitches and just maybe keeping his pitches a little lower in the strike zone--that three run dinger last night was off a changeup dead center in the strike zone--Price can be Price again. Sale has already demonstrated he can use the breaking stuff effectively, and Price needs to follow his example.
  9. In retrospect, we were darn lucky to win game 1.
  10. That slider Pineda throws is nasty, and he doesn't mind using it.
  11. Do I know our players or what? HanRam is worthless.
  12. Everyone with confidence in HanRam in this next at bat, please raise your hand. I don't see any hands.
  13. great bunt by moreland!
  14. Pineda is pitching well, and Price isn't. It's that simple.
  15. Correction. He just threw one and it produced a weak grounder foul. So of course he won't do that again.
  16. Did I forget to say he can't even throw a slider or curve to a lefty batter?
  17. How in the hell could DD shell out $200M for a pitcher with no repertoire? Fast ball, cut fast ball, the fast ball again. Or a changeup in the middle of the zone with no movement.
  18. What do you to bet the pitching coach just told Price, "hey, don't be afraid to throw fastballs."
  19. I get it now. He can't throw a changeup--one that's any good, anyway. The same must be true for the curve and slider. So the Yankees are going to get a steady diet of fastballs and cut fastballs. Nice work if you can get it.
  20. Isn't this fun? Now Farrell comes out to complain Price is being squeezed. If he is, it's no more than Pineda.
  21. Price did throw the one changeup, but I don't believe we've seen a curve or a slider for that matter. Whoops, there goes another walk, so now men on 1st and 2d and no one out.
  22. I seriously don't like the way this game is going. Price seems once again to have fallen in love with his fast ball. Occasionally he throws a cut fastball, and I did see one changeup for a called strike, which must be why he stopped throwing--can't have that. Pineda meanwhile is really mixing up it up and getting K's or weakly hit balls, including one of our two hits. So Price is having to work harder and harder to get outs--he's already at 47 pitches with 0 outs in the 3d inning--and Pineda is finding it easier and easier to get outs, the second time thru the Sox lineup yet. This, sports fans, is the Price of last year. Mindless.
  23. Winning this series would bring the Sox back to 1 behind the Yankees and ensure a winning 10 game road trip. The Sox kind of stole game 1 by jumping on Tanaka's mistakes with dingers--3 I think. Game 2 the Yankees jumped on Porcello in the 4th while Sabathia shut us down. Tonight I think Price will pitch well, but I also would like to see the rest of the team play tough--good defense, smart baserunning, timely hitting.
  24. Actually, brainless might be advantageous. I think some pitchers tend to overthink and second guess the catcher.
  25. Another excellent start by Price would sure hit the spot. Betts Beni Bogie Moreland HanRam JBJ Rutledge Pablo Vazquez Four lefty bats alternating--2d, 4th, 6h, 8th--which I like.
×
×
  • Create New...