Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Don't forget pitchers not covering 1b quickly on any grounder to the right. That's inexcusable and it happens with a few. I do not think really bonehead plays can't cost us a game and hope I will say so when it happens.
  2. Let me say too that talksox is a terrific blog site and I truly appreciate the insights of everyone who wants Farrell gone or just can't stand him. A year ago I thought all the informal rules were stupid, but they work. This site is largely self-policing. The game threads are astonishingly restrained even though we all vent sometimes and the post game stuff is often far-ranging and insightful.
  3. BDM almost always called Francona Francoma. Every loss could somehow be attributed to something he did. Universal applause when his contract was not renewed. Valentine lost BDM in spring training, but they were probably right.
  4. Sale tomorrow. Sox are still very much in charge of their own destiny.
  5. Agree. He gets September and October. Nothing beyond that should be guaranteed. We lost Ortiz which is no ones fault. But DD brought in some pretty good reinforcements and dumped Pablo. I don't like the hitting, but DD can't fix everything especially if the salary cap is a factor. I blame him for Price so far, but also think that could have been better than it has so far. Devers and Beni were not traded away a real plus.
  6. If the Sox lose the ALDS because of bonehead plays, you will not see me defending Farrell.
  7. I agree. More than that I believe the manager goes when the FO believes the team has underperformed in their judgment. That's usually because of wins and losses but not always.
  8. "near totally void of any basic fundamental skills, and many of our losses can be tied to bonehead plays on defense, the base paths and elsewhere" is in my opinion unsupportable, especially the "tied to many of our losses" part. As I have now said ad nauseum, to me the dominant fundamentals of baseball are hitting and pitching, and not a single player on this team can say he has not been coached on those fundamentals, not only here, but all the way back to age 10 or whenever. But coaching don't always produce the desired outcome because those two skills depend so heavily on the individual's innate skill and determination to improve. Defense is a fundamental, I certainly agree, but frankly don't see the lack of coaching. Baseball to me is unique among major American team sports in that it requires an extensive apprenticeship and several levels of professional competition before even getting to the majors. That especially applies to hitting and pitching, but also to defense. And baserunning. MLB teams are also unique in playing 162 games a year, and before every single one of those games hitting and defensive skills are practiced and practiced. Pitchers have to be careful of how much they pitch before games and in between games, but it's a certainty those sessions are carefully monitored and coached--to say nothing of video replays. No other major team sports practices remotely as much as MLB. There is no way, no how these players are not told, coached, instructed, videotaped, etc in those three fundamentals to a degree that boggles the mind. In fact, my own theory is that lapses occur in part because the season is so darn long and the games so interminable. You can normally show every single play in a single game--but not all of the pitches-- in about 10 minutes, but it lasts 3.5 hours or so on average, and that time is dominated by the kabuki dances of pitcher and hitter mixed in with periodic meetings with catcher, coach, manager, and the odd infielder--all of whom have no interest in speeding up the game.
  9. Absolutely. Tanaka gets tons of credit, and so does Sabathia Thurs night. Heck, so does Fister last night. Good pitching usually trumps good hitting. But I'm talking about 7 out of 8 games and find it hard to believe we only got to 1 of the 8 starters when the 5 of the 7 bad hitting games were against the Orioles and Jays who are not know for their great pitching. I commend you for your optimism on the hitting getting better. Last night I shared it. Now I'm not so sure.
  10. Now why is that? Could it be that, while managers do have an important role in any game/season, baseball, far more than other team sports, depends more on the players and that the defining characteristic of a baseball game is the mano a mano confrontation between pitcher and hitter?
  11. This is now the 8th game in a row--with last night being a fantastic and much needed exception--that the Sox hitters have been unable to get to the opposing starters. In the last 2 Orioles game we scored 1 run total. In the three Jays games, all wins, 1 run each against their three starters. Game 1 in NYC, 1 against Sabathia. Today 1 off of Tanaka. While I defend Farrell on not bringing in Workman sooner today, I don't strenuously object to the naysayers. My point is, even the "right" decision wasn't going to fix the fact that our 1 run today in 8 innings is off of a wild pitch--to Mookie, whom Tanaka owns. Yes, Nunez doubled, but that was a lucky run. We have pretty good pitching, but they can't win for us if the lineup doesn't do their part. You remember that excruciating final 2-1 loss to the Orioles when the Sox left 25 on base? Well, now we don't even do that. Tonight we left 6 on base. 0-4 with RISP of course.
  12. Somebody make an out so I can get some chores done. Saved by Moreland.
  13. I don't think he is casual-- tentative because he lacks confidence in his arm.
  14. Agree winning is the only metric for managers, including this one. You're in good company if you don't like Farrell. That is the overwhelming consensus on Talksox. I myself have called for his removal. The difference is I don't buy the hyperbole nor the thesis that a big chunk of losses can be charged to specific managerial decisions.
  15. Yankees have now scored off Workman after Ellsbury triple.
  16. Is it at all relevant that in this game the Sox have 4 hits, including 1 double, in 7 innings and that our lone run was not batted in but was the result of a wild pitch?
  17. First pitch dinger at a crucial moment. Have the Sox ever done that given the reluctance to swing at first pitches? 5th inning CS by Devers now inconsequential, but back in play is Farrell for giving up that dinger. It matters not that Pom sailed thru the two innings prior and had gone 5 giving up 1. Rightly seen, the manager is responsible for every bad thing his team does. Not the good things of course.
  18. Darn. This is now an even contest, not just the score, and so far makes that missed opportunity in the 5th more important. Nice drive by HanRam.
  19. Now that was a bonehead pitch in the dirt. Tanaka had other options and had jus thrown 2 in the dirt.
  20. ok. Let's assume Devers stays at first. I'm not sure Vazquez ground out to 2d advances him. If it doesn't, JBJ's single does not bring Devers home. If it does advance him, Girardi still has the option to walk JBJ to get to Lin and an easy 2d out. I still see no more than 1 Sox run.
  21. Ok. That CS by Devers hurt bad. Was it really a hit and run?
  22. What was that? I would not have sent him.
  23. Not at all. But I have always thought Leon was better at that. Not so?
  24. Zowie! 2 straight good innings by Pom, who has now gone 4 giving up 1. Shame on me for doubting.
  25. Am I wrong or is Vazquez getting a little better at blocking pitches in the dirt?
×
×
  • Create New...