Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. I will agree with Thunder on the notion that Severino is actually pitching better than Sale, but there have in fact several examples when Sale didn't get a strike called and should have and Severino got at least one call that was in the same spot.
  2. I think Sale really needs a changeup he can count on. Giving up that dinger--1 run in 3 innings--is really OK. The problem is he won't go for more than 6 and the Yankees are likely to score again. Meanwhile Severino is doing exactly what Sabathia and Tanaka did.
  3. Severino, on the other hand, has our guys completely out of sync.
  4. All three pitches by Sale to Headley were well inside the strike zone. Plus in this game his changeup has not been a factor. He has a decent slide, but it does not break sharply down, and MLB hitters can adjust to it when he throws it so much.
  5. This the second game in this series when I have been sure the ump is favoring the Yankees. It is no doubt unintentional, but it is also real. Funny thing, but Farrell has the same graphics we do, so he knows too. The problem is probably that MLB won't let him use that info.
  6. The ump is taking away the corners from Sale, but Sale is also not good at throwing low strikes. This houdini act by Sale ain't good.
  7. Our true ace is throwing a lot of pitches.
  8. Nice play Nunez. I'm not sure Bogie makes it. This 3d day of "rest."
  9. Mookie was there too because those two work very well together.
  10. Oddly , I like it when Sale doesn't get the K but does get a quick out like that.
  11. That's who to nail a guy on a fat fastball. Set him up with those breaking balls and get ahead in the count so he is guessing.
  12. It torques me that Sale had all those problems in the 1st and never threw a single changeup.
  13. That 1st was brutal, but ended well. Moreland is a hero for that darn double. Now Devers needs to chime in.
  14. No, no, no. You need to lead this. We lost last night, and Sale looks like he needs some help and new blood. Besides, I like your comments.
  15. Why no game thread for tonight?
  16. I love stats and try to use/understand so-called metrics, but I also think they are just a way to start the dialogue (and also to continue it). I like moonslav's the best but I think he too sees them as an aid and not the final word.
  17. Compelling. I am aghast.
  18. This post game thread is better on Farrell than the Farrell thread.
  19. Exactly. Furthermore, I don't much care whether it's the players fault. You lose, you're gone unless management has compelling reasons to keep you. I think that's fair.
  20. Here on September 3, I'm thinking I want Fister back. Also Sale and Price of course. Probably Porcello. Then the better of Pom and Rodriguez. You can never have enough pitching, but right now I don't want to go after new blood, espxially when the hitting is suspect and the salary cap is an issue.
  21. Than you are better than I. After that September 2011 collapse and even though I steadfastly defended Francona throughout the season, I was fine with the dismissal. Heck, I was even dumb enough to think Valentine would work out. I'm a vet and a service brat, and to me the meaning of the Caine Mutiny is that you back the captain even when he clearly has issues (Queeg was paranoid, which I would suggest all MLB managers need to guard against becoming).
  22. Ellsbury is exactly the guy I compare Beni to: speed and hitting and some defensive ability in the outfield. Funny thing, but I remember people, including me, being mesmerized by Ellsbury's speed and decent bat. He got very little criticism except on some of his routes to the ball. His rookie year, age 24, was 2008 when we had just come off our 2d WS win, fans were happy, and here was this 24 year old who stole 50 bases, some of which were dazzling. Wasn't that the year he scored from 2b on a wild pitch? This year the heat is on. The WS win 2013 is ancient history and now regarded as the result of a unique combination of things jelling. The very next year, most of the same guys had a rotten season. 2015 also rotten. 2016 better, but then killed by the Guardians in the ALDS after a very good September run to seize the AL East. This year we want more, and we are far less tolerant of mistakes than in 2008. Consequently, we don't quite see that Benintendi, while he is unlikely ever to steal 50 bases in a season, is having a better year than Ellsbury in 2008 when he was a year older than Beni is this year. Farrell has kept Beni up in the lineup when more experienced players, players who were really good last year, have not been able to deliver. That's pressure way greater than Ellsbury experienced. In 2008 the Sox were 2d in the AL in runs and 6th in dingers. Ellsbury was just the icing on the cake. Farrell has asked Beni for meat and potatoes and, dare I say, a little bit of icing too because he wants the Sox aggressive on the basepaths. On another thread several talksox guys said the Sox aggressive baserunning this year is generally (outside of Boston) regarded as a plus, not as constant running into outs. The Sox are dead last in the AL in dingers, but 5th in doubles, and not all of those doubles were safe or guaranteed--some of them were earned. The green monster has converted many would be doubles off the wall into outs at 2b. And, guess what? The decision to go or not to go is split second and demands what the Germans call fingerspitzengefuhl and we call exceptional situation awareness. I think Beni is very aware, but is still adapting to the better arms and experienced situational awareness of MLB defenses. We might not like everything he does in LF, but I would like anyone to name another regular Sox leftfielder (that's Beni's destiny until JBJ leaves, which is unlikely) who could play CF even better than LF. Instead of comparing him to Betts and JBJ, compare him to last year's LF and get back to me on that. The two best Sox leftfielders in the John Henry era have been Manny Ramirez and Jason Bay (who in 2009 had 15 assists and 0 errors--impressive). Jason Bay, who lasted just one full season (and 2 months of the year before), is the only Sox leftfielder in the John Henry who could both hit well--the first requirement of a Sox leftfielder--and field decently. Beni is the 2d. Manny of course was the best overall LF because of that great bat. This has been a pressure-filled season since April, and the pressure if anything keeps mounting. Here in September while other, more experienced--and that does help in MLB--players are flailing, 23 year old Beni is manning up when it counts. So me, I'll take that and not sweat the rookie mistakes because, all things considered, this is one heckuva rookie (and mostly under the radar at that).
  23. Back to Bogaerts for a moment, please. Yesterday he missed his second straight game. Worse for him, Lin went in at 2b and Nunez stayed at SS. In other words, Farrell wants him to get comfortable there. To me that is a clear signal that, if Pedroia can play regularly (if not every single day), Bogaerts could be closed out at 3b and SS for the rest of the season. Farrell wants to keep Devers, Nunez, and Pedroia's bats in the lineup as much as possible, given that hitting is our biggest problem in a heated pennant race in its final month, and will use lefty bat Lin, with his good defense, to fill in now and then. That could well be an overstatement, but I think it points toward the reality of Bogaerts situation today. In order, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, Bogaerts four full season WAR's in Boston are: 0.2, 4.6, 3.7, and 1.3.
  24. He has a decent arm, but you could be right preparing to throw--he could be rushing.
  25. This is me bashing you. I think the criticism is overly harsh. We have one of the best defensive outfields in MLB. Betts and JBJ are the biggest parts of that, but Beni is not a liability and certainly no worse than Ellsbury his first full year when he often played LF. Beni has a better arm.
×
×
  • Create New...