I think it says the Sox FO likes the players they have. Heck, they dumped the greatest Sox hitter ever and got better! Both Gonzalez and Toro have higher OPS's than Devers' .692. So do 8 other Sox regulars.
Crochet, Bello, and Giolito are the best top 3 in the rotation since 2018 and the team ERA is ranked 10th, the best since 2018. Forget the total errors. Individual DWAR's say this is the best Sox defense in a long time. The lineup is 4th in MLB in runs scored and 5th in OPS. The bullpen has a pretty good duo in Chapman and Whitlock, plus guys like Weissert (ERA 2.93), Wilson (ERA 2.65), and Murphy (ERA 2.70) who can contribute. New lefty Matz, ERA 3.44, could also help.
I would have loved for Breslow to get a frontline starter and believe he tried. I think trying to get a better first baseman and/or backup catcher was unnecessary.
Cora has even been able to solve the "too many outfielders" problem by moving Rafaela to 2b or Anthony to DH. Speaking of Anthony, he is now leading off because his OBP is .402.
To be honest, I would have loved to get a frontline starter, but think the FO almost certainly tried to get one.