Well, he had to bring Kimbrel into the 8th at some point this season, and Kimbrel is by far our best reliever. Barnes was not getting the job done. This was a big game for May and the perfect team to see how Kimbrel handles himself. I felt before the season started that Kimbrel doesn't have the mental makeup up to go into an 8th inning with men on base, but what do I know?
If nothing else, tonight should show the FO that Kimbrel isn't quite the ace we think he is when he can't pitch in the 8th with men on. I would not shell out big bucks to keep him.
I agree too many fastballs because Kimbrel is vulnerable when that's all he throws. He should have thrown at least one early in the count. With Vazquez catching, the decision to throw all fastballs came from the bench.