Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. I am strongly in the Johnson camp for these reasons: 1. He's a lefty with a changeup, which Pom doesn't have. 2. He's all business on the mound, whereas Pom always looks tortured and sometimes simply afraid to make the next pitch. 3. Better control. Just as good a curve. 4. Good at covering 1B on grounders to the right, which Pom is not good at. 5. A lot less salary. In fact, I am appalled that Pom gets $14M. 6. Last year is ancient history. I want to win this year. Plus I didn't like Pom last year either.
  2. I think there were several factors: Curt Flood broke the 'reserve clause;" MLBPA is probably the most powerful union in pro sports; agents, especially Scott Boras, are convincing players they should always shoot for the moon because often they will get it; owners in the big markets can pay big salaries and still make a profit. In his series on Baseball, Ken Burns has someone say that in the old days the average MLB player made 7 times the salary of the average fan. After Curt Flood and as of the making of that series, it was then 7 X 7 times (or 50 times as much as the average fan). Years ago there was a very, very successful basketball coach at Butler. He and his wife Tracy were both from Indiana and were happy raising their kids in Indianapolis--plus she was/is a lawyer. His salary was $1M/year, which was all he needed but well under his probable value at a major program, several of which came calling while he was at Butler. I would have bet he would never leave Butler, but in fact his wife negotiated the contract with the Celtics for six years and $22M. I also would have bet you can't transfer great college coaching skill into success at the NBA level. My guess is that the whole Brad Stevens family is thriving in Boston as I write this. My point, I guess, is that people are unpredictable.
  3. Somewhere around page 3 I gave up completely--except I kept watching. Could not be happier to be so wrong. What an amazing turnaround. Absolutely stunning.
  4. Call is the Boston Orioles and start the rain dance now. We need a game- saving deluge.
  5. We’ve seen this movie about a month ago at Yankee Stadium. Not sure I want to watch a reun.
  6. What's the weather look like? My NOAA shows rain headed toward Boston. Soon.
  7. Thunder this year is the right guy to start this game thread. Yankees are so lucky we are without Sale, ERod, and Wright--and Bogey and Devers. Hopefully, Bogey plays tomorrow or Sat at the latest.
  8. True. But also a nightmare.
  9. It might keep him fresh down the stretch, but Sale is one of those guys who really wants to be out there on the mound. If he is complaining about shoulder pain, it's something to worry about. So I agree with your "hopefully."
  10. Sarcasm? You think?
  11. I disagree frequently with A700hitter on this very topic--in-game decisions by Cora, whom I almost invariably defend. I just think Cora is better informed than we are, simple as that. But A700hitter is only doing what all baseball fans have been doing for decades. And in at least one instance--leaving Wright in to give up 10 runs--I have vehemently disagreed with Cora. And the Sox ended up winning that game.
  12. I've pretty much been anti-Swihart, but have to agree he is showing us he has a pretty darn good skill set. With his speed and athleticism, his hitting well could mean the Sox will want to shift him away from catching on a regular basis. Maybe corner infielder. But his catching has been pretty darn good so far this year.
  13. Nice four win streak by MVP78--just in time.
  14. Hope is not a method. So it is written.
  15. OK? OK? Your standards for Pomeranz need recalibration. For him 2 runs in 5 innings are an unmitigated triumph and cause for wild celebrations lasting well into the early morning. And those four BB's were just smart baseball and helped the Great One avoid those troublesome dingers.
  16. Agree--and I am anti-Pom. The problem was the hitting: 0 for 13 with RISP. I'm pretty sure we twice had leadoff doubles which didn't score. And some hard hit balls that were caught of course.
  17. I didn't like him last year either. No changeup. Can't cover 1B. Takes forever on the mound.
  18. I'm a Sox fan too--only longer--and that's why i want Pom to have a lousy game and be dealt or demoted or whatever works. I also want to win tonight's game, so I'm hoping the hole Pom digs will not be unclimboutable. 3 or 4 runs in 2 innings should do it.
  19. Swihart stock is trading high these days. He can hit, catch, play 1b/3b and the outfield (not CF). I'd keep him, but realize this also makes him a lot more tradeable.
  20. Honestly, I can't be sure. I'm just prejudiced in favor of any pitch that breaks down and to the left or right. it is clearly Pom's best pitch, but one hitters can get used to and therefore hit, which is one reason why his going 6 innings doesn't happen often.
  21. Season to date, Pom has the worst WAR on the Sox pitching staff, -.5. But it's not the numbers that bother me nearly as much as what I see--a lefty with no changeup, a slow fast ball, a pretty good knuckle curve, not very good control, a lousy move to cover 1B on grounders to the right, and, sometimes, an obvious reluctance to actually make the next pitch.
  22. I would probably do that if I didn't also believe Harper is going to want a huge amount of money.
  23. The presumption is that they are related.
  24. I would say "when" Pom falters and continue to be astounded by the many chances he keeps getting to start MLB games.
  25. I don't mind giving Sandy Leon some credit for Price last night and for his overall CERA. Last night was one of those games when we needed great Sox pitching and got it despite Price looking very hittable in the first two innings. If my count is right, Swihart caught three scoreless innings with Hembree, Kelly, and Velazquez on the mound. I'm not quite ready to ditch Vazquez even though Swihart is looking pretty good so far. I will add, however, that Vazquez got himself into this situation by stealing a base when it was not needed and when he lacked the skill to do it well (safely).
×
×
  • Create New...