Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. And I'm watching on the boob tube. I can change channels, turn the sucker off, whatever. But somewhere north of 35,000 fans are paying a lot of money tonight to be even more miserable. That really stinks.
  2. What a miserable game.
  3. Johnson's done OK when he is hitting corners, but not when he throws three straight smack dab in the middle--well, close to it. Of course, if Happ had done that, our guys would have struck out or hit weak grounders or something. He has their number big time.
  4. Someone suggested Sale's last outing should be seen as rope a dope. Maybe tonight the entire team is doing it. Weak, weak hitting first time thru the lineup.
  5. I can't believe how bad our lineup looks tonight. I could understand it if Happ was throwing good stuff, but he absolutely is not. 80% 92 mph fastballs, all 4 seamers.
  6. What the heck has Happ got? He just threw three straight 92 mph fastballs to Nunez, one near the middle, and got 2 strikes. Overall. he threw five fastballs and 1 slider and got a ground out on a ball well above the zone.
  7. Just tuned in when Judge got ball four. Johnson looks pretty decent, but the Yankees love lefties. Meanwhile Happ has faced our top 6 hitters, three of whom K'd and none of whom got on base.
  8. Actually, I like that.
  9. Happ, lefty vs. Johnson, lefty Big advantage to Yankees. Happ>>>>Johnson plus the Yankees hammer lefties whereas our guys roll over and play dead. 10 days ago Happ went 6 and gave up 1 unearned run vs. the Sox, but Eovaldi was even better, giving up 0 runs in 6. Then Workman and Brasier did their magic act and the Yankees took it 3-2. The Yankees still have an incentive to win this one I think, whereas our guys lately seem to have no incentive. Still, not too shabby-- Betts CF Beni LF JDM RF Bogey SS Pearce 1B Devers 3b Nunez DH Kinsler 2B Swihart C 7 righty bats and Beni and Devers
  10. Could you 'splain that please.
  11. If he struggle or flops, it will be such a shame because to me he has been the consummate ace: great stuff, never challenges signals, stays focused, gives his all, and really fields his position well. I have no idea how he is around people and other players, but to me he sets a great example. I'm trying to say he really deserves to do well in the postseason.
  12. We're entitled. The only head that needs to stay out of the sand is Cora's. He knows all of what I wrote and a lot more. So I can't believe he isn't thinking about options, the simplest of which is to tell Wright or someone like him to be ready to go early. That doesn't mean to warm up, only to be mentally ready. Eovaldi might be an even better choice.
  13. About Sale being effective with a fast ball in the low 90's. He has always been a power pitcher and thrives on it, so mixing things up will be a big change and I think require a lot more than one game (see para below about that game) to make the adjustment. Also, he basically throws just two breaking pitches--slider and changeup. Both are good, but don't have sharp breaks and I think depend on the fastball being really fast. If the Orioles lineup can get 3 runs in 4.2 innings when Sale is going with his low 90's fast ball (even high 80s), I think the Yankees can give him some grief.
  14. jacksonianmarch might be trolling, but he certainly has a point. You can't ignore his last outing. it's not definitive, but is worrisome, especially if the Yankees are in the ALDS. Also, it's not just the one game. He was great in July, went on the DL, came back, and has been up and down since then. He has not pitched more than 5 innings since July 27. Since going on the DL in July-August (2 weeks), he has pitched in 5 games. He was super in the first one on August 12: 5 inning, 12 K's, 1 hit, 0 runs, and 68 pitches. But since then, 1 inning, 3 inngs, 3.1 innings (2 earned runs), and 4.2 innings (3 earned runs vs. Orioles and 92 pitches). Then there's the whole issue of earlier seasons, especially 2017, running out of gas in September/Oct.
  15. I think this was a pretty good first stab, but vehemently disagree on dropping Vazquez. And not including Wright is criminal. I also see 3 relievers you could drop without hurting the bullpen: Kelly, Pom, and Johnson. Vazquez brings you back to 14 position players, about normal for the postseason and leaves 11 pitchers, also normal for the playoffs. If you drop Kelly, Pom, and Johnson, you can bring back Wright and Vazquez--and maybe Poyner (lone lefty in bullpen). Pom has a WAR of -.6, which I think is earned. Johnson's is 0.0, ditto. Kelly's is .3, but he is just so inconsistent and has been horrible in September.
  16. Yeah, well I like Lindor so there.
  17. I'm pretty sure both Nunez and Devers will be on the roster and am fine with whoever Cora starts in a given game. The other one can always pinch hit. Speaking of which, there was a discussion earlier about Cora having options to pinch hit for his catcher. Thus the 3d catcher on the roster and maybe an extra bat. Lately, I'm thinking it might be smarter to beef up the pitching because it sure is looking like the weak link. Normally, usually a MLB carries 12, but lately just 11 in the playoffs because of the rest days. So I'm thinking Cora carries 8 starters: Sale, Price, Porcello, ERod, Eovaldi, Wright, Velazquez, and Johnson (or that kid Cuevas). The last four have already relieved once or more this season, so they can relieve, but I'm thinking right now early relief before the game gets out of hand. The other three pitchers would probably be Kimbrel, Brasier, and Barnes. Cora might even consider a 12th arm on the roster to beef up the short relievers with Poyner or Workman or whoever.
  18. But he's still good for $100M for 5 or so years, don't you think? He actually is a pretty good closer but remarkably unreliable in anything other than a 1 inning save situation given a clean inning to work with.
  19. I believe someone else posted an article or something that says WAR has become popular with the MVP voters.
  20. mvp78, moonslav has a thing about defense up the middle. He loved Iglesias in 2013 and hated that he was traded. His theory was that good defense saves probably two or three hundred runs a year--or is it a month? With Iglesias at SS and JBJ in CF right now the Sox team ERA would be like 1.25. That's how important defense is, and Bogey is just average (or worse). Nevertheless, I always like it when moonslav provides a list like this. He knows his own mind--and the players. My only switch in fact would be switching JBJ and Bogey.
  21. Hell, it almost always is location when you throw a lot of fastballs. Kelly can throw 100 mph most of the time, but gets hit hard because they know one's coming and he ain't that good at working the edges.
  22. 2 dingers off Price? Both off of fastballs. Hmmmm.
  23. I facetiously said 105 but then admitted I had no idea how many and, honestly, would have been just fine with 95. 106 and counting is insane. Those two early streaks were big, so was the pitching. And the hitting came back with a vengeance, largely, I think, because of the JDM who is another David Ortiz in his effect on the lineup and their run production. Thus Betts, Beni, and Bogey all improved over 2017. jacksonianmarch complains we did this by beating up on weak teams. True. But guess what? The Yankees played them as often as we did. Compliments to the OP for putting in that poll and now reminding us of it.
  24. Nicely said. Watching Kelly pitch, I sometimes get the impression he has a confidence issue. If so, maybe his subconscious is telling him--stay away from that playoff pressure.
×
×
  • Create New...