Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. So far the five righty bats have 7 of the 9 hits, including 2 doubles. Beni and Moreland are hitless.
  2. We aren't that dumb, but I think we have right to be pissed off.
  3. Didn't that look like the 2017 Nunez? If so, welcome back!
  4. Now we know why Cora is going with 13 pitchers.
  5. I said that in a thread days ago and got hammered for being the world's leading pessimist and disloyal fan. I guess you can say that stuff on game thread though. Last year our great start was largely due to starting off against weak teams. I do think it all evens out so I don't blame the MLB schedulers. I mean, isn't kind of hard to blame them for Chris Sale s***ing in his pants after getting that very nice extension to his contract? I'm a huge Sale fan, but those three innings were awful-awful.
  6. I just back from a couldn't miss engagement and see I missed Sale giving up 3 dingers and 7 runs. 2 runs by the good guys, not bad.
  7. Honestly, it baffles me why people complain about commentators when the solution is so easy. Turn off the sound and focus on the game.
  8. Is this you coming out as, dare I say it, our one and only lawyer who couldn't afford to lose an argument?
  9. I love the idea because it's original and kind of fits the personnel. But you're right.
  10. I did, but respect what you say because the movie took some real liberties with Art Howe and with when and what trades were made in order to make a point (sabermetrics can help) painfully obvious. Hollywood often does that. They did the same thing in Argo and other films (Lawrence of Arabia, etc, etc). Moneyball was nominated for six academy awards. The Great Raid--not a sports movie--was a box office bomb and not well liked by the critics, but it's an accurate retelling of the rescue (by Army rangers) of over 500 POW's in the Philippines in 1945.
  11. Great point because it actually does a pretty good job of bringing out the nuances of managing, which ain't that easy to do while entertaining people.
  12. I was one of them, I think right after the Yankees won 9 straight in April and 8 straight in early May to pretty much catch up with us. I didn't think I was complaining, however, as much as I was worried. I likened the Yankees (when they were 24-10 and about to play the Sox in NYC) to an onrushing freight train. They were 1 game back going in and tied coming out. Funny thing, though, I was actually pretty happy with how the Sox context all three games even though they only won 1.
  13. Actually, I'll just bite the bullet and say that horrible, unthinkable thought right now, completely unfair as it is. You ready? I don't think the Sox will win 108 games this year. I don't think they will start out 17-2 either.
  14. Actually, under the newish format of 5 teams in each league in the postseason, the two wild card teams play each other before going on to the ALDS/NLDS, a much bigger disadvantage than older version with 4 teams. This makes winning your division more important, and in our case that's the Yankees, who won 100 last year and can be presumed to be competitive this year. I myself probably fall into the complainer category but consider myself a worrier more than a naysayer. This year there's a whole lot not to worry about because the hitting, the rotation, and hopefully the defense look to be between great and good enough. The bullpen is definitely a worry, but not justified unless and until they actually blow more leads than is normal (no bullpen is perfect).
  15. 9 months ago at Fenway Gonzalez started for Seattle--as he will do tonight--and gave up 5 runs in 6 innings in a 5-0 loss. Sale was pitching, and 8 of the 9 players above were in that June 23 lineup. Only change is Vazquez for Leon. The Sox batting order then was: Betts Beni JDM Moreland Bogaerts Nunez Devers Leon JBJ JBJ had 3 singles, Moreland a 2 run dinger, and Betts, Devers, and Leon rbi's.
  16. Meh. I agree Fever Pitch is neither a great movie nor a very good baseball movie, but it should be irresistable for a Sox fan. And you can forget that "borrowed from a British soccer movie' stuff because, guess, what? Lots of good movies came from other ones--also some not so good movies. What both those movies capture are the enthusiasm of fans, which is short for fanatics, which is what Jimmy Fallon's character surely is. I like most baseball movies because of the subject matter and completely disagree about Bull Durham, but probably not about Field of Dreams and the Natural. I like Mr Baseball with Tom Selleck because, unlike Gary Cooper, he obviously has some athletic ability and a swing that ain't half bad. I like Moneyball even though it's not completely factual.
  17. 9 months ago at Fenway Gonzalez started for Seattle--as he will do tonight--and gave up 5 runs in 6 innings in a 5-0 loss. Sale was pitching, and 8 of the 9 players above were in that June 23 lineup. Only change is Vazquez for Leon. The Sox batting order then was: Betts Beni JDM Moreland Bogaerts Nunez Devers Leon JBJ JBJ had 3 singles, Moreland a 2 run dinger, and Betts, Devers, and Leon rbi's.
  18. Not much of a hot stove league contributor, but do love the seasons. Today I bought my season ticket to mlb.tv and felt like the Jimmy Fallon math teacher in Fever Pitch. Let the games begin!!!
  19. Beat me to it. I also think Devers and maybe JBJ will hit better this year. Pedey will hit better than Kinsler--if his knee can hold up. All that said, I think it is unarguable that the very hot start last year helped. The Sox still played very well after that--they had too. And they were borderline legendary in the postseason, 11-3 against three pretty good teams--the Yankees had 100 wins and I think the Astros 104.
  20. Last year after 19 games the Sox were 17-2 and had a 7 game lead over the Yankees—and finished the season with an 8 game lead. A good start doesn’t win it of course, but it sure helps, just like a bad start can make things harder.
  21. Almost never. I think I heard it in Blazing Saddles— by the hangman.
  22. I am not writing anyone off, least of all the Sox, not with that great hitting and rotation and superb manager. I just wanted to start a discussion about the road trip, so I simply said something provocative. And I do think back to back is doable.
  23. No doubt. My intent is to provoke other assessments because the regular season is upon USA day I don’t even know the roster except that it has 13 pitchers and no Pedey or Pearce.
  24. It starts Thursday at Seattle and includes 11 straight games in Seattle, Oakland, and Arizona. All three of those teams had winning records last year and Oakland won 97 games. The Yankees, meanwhile, play 6 against the Orioles, 3 against the Tigers, and 2 at Houston. The Orioles lost 115 games last year and the Tigers 98, but Houston was and is a solid team. No doubt because I've been a Sox fan since 1949, I've already started worrying about the Sox: questionable bullpen, mediocre spring training, no Pedroia or Pearce, Price not looking so great. I could go on. So here's my prediction for those 11 games: we win 5 of 11, and the Yankees win 8 of 11, and we get back to Fenway 3 games back.
×
×
  • Create New...