Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. True. However, it is my belief that the manager has more impact on the pitching than on the fielding and hitting. Last night was the first game in this series when the Sox had a shot and in fact had a 1 run lead in the 8th. Roenicke's reliever in the 8th, Barnes, had just given up the tying run with 2 outs and now had a man on 1b with possibly the hottest hitter in MLB coming to the plate. First two pitches were balls. At that point it would have been reasonable to signal not to throw anything hittable--or even to give Judge a pass. I am not saying Roenicke was responsible for last night's loss. Not at all. But I am saying that, given the situation after the game was tied in the 8th, he might have made a better choice on how to pitch to Judge with a 2-0 count.
  2. Sox now have the worst ERA in MLB, the 2d worst WHIP, and the 2d most dingers given up. Last night's loss was the perfect coda to this season to date. It's just 10 games, but there are only 50 left. And thank goodness for that. Agree with moonslav59's predilection for trades.
  3. Sox ERA is now worst in MLB, WHIP is 2d worst, and the Sox have given up the second most dingers. Last night, game 10, was the perfect example of the problem. Sox hitters kept getting a lead that the pitchers would give back, culminating in Barnes giving up the tying run in the 8th, followed by giving up a 2 run dinger for the winning runs. Sox lost 9-7.
  4. Walden, Walden, he's our man.
  5. I gotta admit I'm impressed with a 7-6 lead in the 7th. Devers and Bogaerts.
  6. What season? This is just spring training, and it's pretty clear these guys won't be ready for the real season. Peraza just made his 4th error and then left a runner on 2b. Hall was doing OK against Judge until he decided to throw a roaring 89 mph fast ball about waist high on the inside corner. One redeeming feature tonight: no Benintendi.
  7. Hard to read this thread and remain the pessimist that I invariably am inclined to be. Still, the pitching stats seem to favor pessimism. Eovaldi had another good start (albeit 5 innings), giving up 2, and the bullpen gave up 3 runs in 4 innings, with the set up guy Barnes and the closer Workman looking especially weak. splendidsplinter says to treat this season as a longish spring training. Best assessment I've read.
  8. Yep. Spring training it is--but only for the Boston Red Sox. The other teams seem to be ready to play real baseball.
  9. SPLENDIDSPLINTER sounds awfully pessimistic, and I can't disagree with a thing he has said.
  10. Sox aren't so bad, if you don't count hitting, pitching, and defense.
  11. I think the pitching staff makes the Sox pretty much unwatchable this season.
  12. Sox look just as bad as we thought they would be. The pitching situation this season was irremediable the moment it collapsed last season. No fault lies with the current GM or with the owner. Blame lies with DD.
  13. No single player can ever keep a team "in contention" and certainly not Mookie--see the last 2 seasons. A position player is just one of nine guys in the lineup and in the field, and that doesn't even count the importance of pitching.
  14. Never have hated the Yankees. I root against them of course, the the simple fact is you can't have a great rivalry with a weak franchise. They've won 27 World Series, but have taken a back seat to the Sox in the John Henry era, and what could be sweeter than that? My Uncle Ned was a life long Sox fan who died at age 90 before the Sox broke the 86 year curse. He had every reason to be a Yankee hater. I've only been a Sox fan since 1949 and got to see all four WS championships after experiencing a mere 55 years of frustration--a small price to pay.
  15. I still think letting Price and Betts go was the best move. Even without Mookie, Sox hitting looks pretty good this "year." But not, of course, the pitching. That's why I like mvp78's 30 man roster with its 16 pitchers. My view of this season is simple. If they actually play 60 games and have playoffs, it's a good season whether or not the Sox are in it. And let's not forget that last year we did have Price and Sale--as well as almost everyone from the record-breaking 2018 team--and the pitching, especially Sale and Price (given their salaries) stunk. Thus a new GM and a fresh start, and I for one am willing to be patient. Well, for at least a week or two.
  16. Well done. I don't know enough to disagree on any specifics.
  17. Even though I agree sign stealing has been going on, legitimately, for a very long time, I am also OK with MLB taking a position that you can't use technology to do it. And apparently the Sox only did it sparingly in 2018 and only when they had a man on 2B. Not great, but the minor penalty seems to fit the minor crime. I would be fine with catchers and pitchers having ear pieces because right now quarterbacks have them and technology is pervasive in all sports. Plus, even with earpieces, teams will continue to study opposing pitchers for "tells" on what their next pitch will be, which is fair. I believe I read that, in the case of the 2018 Sox, there was ample evidence that ownership had learned from the Pedroia (I believe he was one of the perps) experience of several years ago and emphasized not using technology to pick up signs.
  18. Impressive, nevertheless.
  19. Feel free to vote for whoever you prefer. I wrote that in response to your accusation that Biden was against gays, abortion rights, etc, I also pointed out that he is more likely than the incumbent to appoint good people who aren't afraid to advise what is best for the country and who are likely to be listened to. Plus I said Biden seem to have a decent moral compass (which Obama also had/has) which the incumbent manifestly lacks. I am not a Biden fan or supporter, but also would have no problem voting for him over the incumbent.
  20. All due respect, but for 8 years he was VP under Obama who did indeed support gay rights, abortion rights, access to health care, and redressing income inequality. Are you basing your "start a full on war" comment on his vote circa 2003 to back the Republican President who absolutely did want a full on war in Iraq? Lots of Democratic Senators made the same mistake, but only because they were on the wrong side of the 1991 vote to support the attack to remove the Iraqi Army from Kuwait, which in fact proved to be the right strategic move by Republican President George HW Bush. I am not a Biden fan because I do think he's too old for the job. But I would vote for him over Trump because I believe he would pick a good team and listen to good advice. He also seems to have some spark of morality which Trump utterly lacks.
  21. I think it will be those two and agree it's a toss-up.
×
×
  • Create New...