Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Wow. Eovali mowed 'em down in the 1st, so now he wants to shake off his catcher--and then HBP.
  2. Chavis is back!!!! Three pitches and a K. Mr. Reliable.
  3. Gotta go with you on this issue. When jacksonianmarch says the Sox are in dire need of an ace, he is thinking like a Yankee fan who loves ownership spending tons and tons of money. As moonslav reminds us, the rotation is doing their share in both innings pitched and results. The bullpen, except for Barnes and probably Ottavino, is a little dicey.
  4. So they say. And very few leadoff hitters say they don't feel that pressure.
  5. Statistically, I think your strong conviction is on firm ground. There's a well known college basketball statistician named Ken Pomeroy, and he includes a stat called "luck" to explain why a team does or does not win close games that season.
  6. Sale still doesn't have a changeup, but I think he is the most professional pitcher I've seen throw for the Red Sox. He has great stuff, good command, and does a great job fielding his position, going to 1b on the grounders to the right, etc. ERod used to be notorious for not covering first on time.
  7. Funny thing about the pressure of leading off. I agree it's real and daunting. But you can really only lead off once in a game--in the first inning. Thereafter, almost anyone can lead off the next inning.
  8. I cite the A's only as an example of the quirkiness of baseball and my semi-conviction that the A's know how to win close games despite a so-so offense (17th in MLB in runs scored) and so-so pitching (15th best ERA in MLB).
  9. When the Sox started losing while the bullpen, which early on had been solid, was giving up runs, someone said they were being overworked. I bow to your stats because the numbers argue that so far no one is overworked. About Brice. His ERA in 8 appearances and 7.2 innings in April was 3.52. In 4 appearances and 4 innings in May his ERA is 13.50 when he gave up 4 runs in the win over the Tigers, 2 in the win over the Orioles, and 0 runs in the lost to Oakland and the win over the Angels. I recite those stats because right now everyone is saying to dump Brice on the dung heap of history but to have faith in Andriese. But to these old eyes Andriese and Brice are two peas in a pod: good enough in April, pretty awful in May.
  10. Completely agree. I remember early in Devers career when he thrived near the bottom but not when he was moved up in the lineup.
  11. They sure are, so I hope I don't have to remind you that the A's, who took 2 of 3 from the Sox, are 24-17 and have a run differential of -9. Indeed, in the 3 game Sox series, the A's scored 8 runs and gave up 11.
  12. Andriese had a good April, I grant you. But he has hurt the Sox in May. Besides, I think he is throwing crap right now and Sawamura has better command and better stuff. Andriese almost reminds me of Kimbrel in 2018 when he was the Sox highly paid closer and pretty good during the regular season. In the postseason he had 6 saves, but in 4 of them he gave up runs and scared the dickens out of us fans. His postseason ERA was 5.91. Kelly's postseason ERA was .78 and Barnes and Brasier had ERA's of 1.04.
  13. Fan is short for fanatic, and talksox is a great outlet for periodic outbursts of Sox fan frustration. That said, I believe I am right that using Andriese, whose May ERA in 5 appearances is 12.71, ahead of Sawamura, whose May ERA in 4 appearances is 3.60, was a mistake.
  14. It's May 16, 41 games and over 1/4th into the season, and my realistic view of 2021 says the Sox have the most wins, 25, and the best winning percentage, .610, in MLB. Lurking nearby, however are the Yankees, Jays, and Rays--all within 3 games of the Sox. This season so far is a gift to Sox fans.
  15. Gotta go with egalitarian. The whiskey stopped some time ago.
  16. Our pitching always deserves credit. This year is borderline miraculous despite the occasional bullpen letdowns. As for the Angels bats, if you ain't great this year, you ain't great. Besides, as I keep saying, their bats, good or bad, are irrelevant when their pitching is the worst in MLB: ERA 5.33.
  17. I don't like Brice any more than you like Cordero. I'm just saying that when the bullpen has already shown signs of fatigue, it makes sense to have the extra arm. Cordero is on the active roster because Hernandez and Arroyo are on the IL.
  18. Names mean nothing without demonstrated production, and it's been a very long time since the Angels offense was productive. Or are you counting all the years Albert Pujols was great before he went to the Angels? Hold it. The Angels led MLB in runs in 2014, 7 years ago, which is not "a very long time." But it's long enough. Besides, their hitting is almost irrelevant this year when they are ranked dead last in MLB in ERA.
  19. Very good win. As Thunder says, great hitting and pitching. Tomorrow Quintana vs. Eovaldi, edge to the good guys. A win and 4 straight would be very nice. Then rest on Monday and off to Toronto for 3 and Philly for 3, followed by another Monday off.
  20. Angels rank 17th in MLB in runs scored. Elite they are not.
  21. Good job by Perez--K on Ohtani and should have had one vs. Trout.
  22. I swear there have been games this year when the visiting outfield looks more comfortable dealing with the idiosyncracies of Fenway then our guys do. Not today, but other games.
  23. I think I know what Cordero's problem is. He's telegraphing his swing, so opposing pitchers and catchers know exactly where to throw the ball. Easy fix. Just look at the videos.
  24. That was a great throw, and he had another the other night from RF to home with men on 1st and 3d. He hit the cutoff man perfectly, so neither budged. I think that was the same game in which he also hit the cut off man perfectly, after which a great relay throw by Arauz caught the runner going home.
  25. OK, now I see what the problem is. Perez has been using a changeup and pretty effectively too. This must stop. This year's Sox staff does not use the changeup--except for ERod when he wants to give up some hits. A quiet word in the dugout should suffice.
×
×
  • Create New...