Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Seriously? In 2019, the year Mookie was traded to the Dodgers along with David Price, the Sox already had the biggest payroll in MLB. To keep Mookie away from the Dodgers, who I believe were fully prepared to outbid the Sox, That biggest payroll in MLB was going to get a lot bigger because the Sox also needed to fix their rotation given the collapse of their two aces, Price and Sale.
  2. That last line is what I was getting it. Cora is a proponent of the "dud liberation movement."
  3. Heels beat LSU tonight in extra innings in Chapel Hill and go on to the Super Regional.
  4. Yes and no. I think Cora deliberately plays as many position players as possible to reveal their worth or lack thereof.
  5. I go back to 1949, but cannot claim to have followed the game as closely as you. I basically checked the Red Sox box scores for what Ted Williams had done. I did listen to almost all the games in 1953 and 1954. Speaking of Ted, he missed 3 WW II seasons and 1+ Korean War season, and was still an All-Star 19 times. So I think you could have a point about injuries. For sure with respect to pitchers.
  6. He seems pretty happy in LA--not just the money, but the team and the front office. I wouldn't want to live in LA, but I'm not sure I'd like to live in Boston either. I believe the Dodgers were determined to get Mookie, and their timing could not have been better. In 2019, the year of decision for Mookie, the Sox already had the biggest payroll in MLB, and signing Mookie long-term was going to increase that a bunch. Then there was the problem of the two aces, Price and Sale, who were coming up deuces and were owed a whole lot of money.
  7. Sensible, as always. You've drifted away from Grissom, but there really isn't much more to say about him or the trade. I think the Braves badly outfoxed us, but agree it's still early. Meanwhile, as your periodic statistical laydowns show us, the Sox have issues with defense, timely hitting, and, more recently, pitching.
  8. I'm not sure your caveat, "not the broken down guys," is reasonable. Thus $22M on Story, $18M on Giolito, and $17M on Sale--all of them on the Sox payroll and none of them playing for the Sox--is not that unusual. My view is much simpler. Players with big salaries are always a gamble because those big bucks are always guaranteed, sometimes for 10 or more seasons. As I've said too many times, the Sox had the biggest payroll in MLB in 2019, and it wasn't going to be nearly enough to keep Mookie from going to the Dodgers and to replace Price and Sale while also paying their salaries.
  9. Cora's big mistake was bringing Bello out to pitch the 7th. He gave up runs in the 5th and 6th, showing he was losing it.
  10. He did hit it solid, but you have a point. Plus he hit it to RF which is much deeper than LF.
  11. WTF vegasbob! Cora makes absolutely the right call--see moonslav's data on Abreu vs lefties--and you blast him.
  12. Nice grab by Devers, but a fantastic throw on the money and in time.
  13. Agree completely. Plus he hit that one to the wrong field. He did start the double play, though. And he does have 2 of the 4 rbi's.
  14. Huge dinger from Devers. Huge. But game still very much in doubt. Sox have had a bunch of hard hit balls caught.
  15. Ref pinch-hitting for Hamilton, who has one of the Sox measly 5 hits. So Detroit brings in a righty reliever.
  16. Bello 6.1 innings, 8 hits, 3 BB's, 5K's, 4 ER's. ERA now 4.36.
  17. Sox scoreless in the last 3 innings after scoring in 1st, 2d, and 3d. Tigers have 9 hits to the Sox 5.
  18. 3-3. I do think Cora erred in bringing Bello out for the 7th inning.
  19. Unless you're dumb, you should try to hit the ball toward/near Hamilton--at least, when he is at SS.
  20. This homeplate ump likes to call strikes, which I'm in favor of. I hate batters who are up there looking for BB's.
  21. McGuire has stopped hitting. 1 for 12 in last 11 days.
  22. In the 2d, 3d, and 4th innings, he was throwing good stuff and getting strikes.
  23. Great catch by Smith for the 3d out!!! Hamilton stinks on defense. No excuse for every throw to be in the dirt.
  24. Could be he's tired, but I think Bello is missing the strike zone because he's afraid to throw strikes.
  25. Nice play by Bello, but runners advance to 2d and 3d. A single ties it.
×
×
  • Create New...