Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

illinoisredsox

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    8,210
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by illinoisredsox

  1. This series is reminding me a little of the Red Sox horror shows in KC back in the 70s. Sox seemingly used to go 1-5 in KC every year and had a lot of trouble scoring runs.
  2. Cmon RSDD. Calm down. You're too good a poster and you've got way too many good thoughts on the Sox; I don't want to see you banned from here. We're the new guys, got to earn the benefit of the doubt. This isn't worth it.
  3. I find Herschiser does a lot of the same things (how to attack a batter, etc.) and I like listening to him. The ESPN weekday guys are better than the weekenders IMO. I've found most color guys have a shelf life, no matter what the sport. McCarver was good when he first started out. So was Morgan. Madden was like that in football. All faded after several seasons and stayed well beyond their useful time.
  4. Yup, and the worst thing is, the price just went up.
  5. All that says is that the company filed for bankruptcy. You very well know that's not the same as filing personal bankruptcy. You mentioned the phrase "golden parachute", which I believe is what you were challenged to provide a link for. Since I know you are extremely thorough in link searches, I'm guessing none exists and you are now attempting to move the goalposts.
  6. I can't see the game tonight, and I realize Porcello has allowed one solo homer, but have the base hits been line drives, ground balls or a mixture?
  7. A very poor reason. One need look no further than the relationship between Ruth Bader Ginsberg and the late Antonin Scalia, who were about as opposite as you can get in regards to judicial philosophy and political opinion, but who were from all reports very close friends, because they actually knew each other as people.
  8. You know him personally? You've actually met him and spent some time with him? If not, you have no basis for this statement.
  9. From the Herald, ERod will miss his next rehab start due to knee soreness. I would not count on him anytime soon. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2016/05/farrell_rodriguez_to_miss_next_rehab_start_due_to_sore_knee
  10. Fully agree he would have been fine had he had to play 1B every day. He never embarrassed himself when he did play and made some pretty good plays at times (ask Jeff Suppan). He just happened to be on teams with good to great first sackers. Meinkiewicz when he was with the Twins, Youkilis, AGon and Napoli with the Sox. All but Napoli were GG caliber in the field, and Nap was pretty darn good. Only Kevin Millar would have been considered average during Papi's tenure..
  11. Agree. Unless they do something truly heinous (drug trafficking, molesting children or collies, etc), on the field is all that we need to talk about them. Besides, who REALLY cares what any "celebrity" thinks about anything. Unless they are embarking on a political career (Reagan, Jack Kemp, Bill Bradley etc.), what difference does it make?
  12. Again, flames fanned by the Boston media. They seemingly live to create controversy. You'd love to hear these guys (the media) talk in a bar sometime and report on what they say in private. My guess is they could never stand up to the scrutiny they hold others to.
  13. Very well said Dojii.
  14. Have to disagree with you on the GG status of both Shaw and Hanley. They are decent but not of that caliber. Hanley in particular makes some plays a lot tougher than they need to be due to things like stretching too quickly and then having make a last second adjustment when the throw is a little off line. It looks great but is unnecessary in many cases. Watch AGon or Texiera closely. They almost never have to make those types of plays. That's GG caliber 1B.
  15. At least for next year, I think you may see a rotating type of situation, giving certain guys days "off" from the field. Hanram, Pedroia, Sandoval (I know) would all be possibilities, but you could occasionally see Betts or Bogaerts once or twice a month as well. They could then return Holt to his most valuable role of super utility guy as well.
  16. Everything I've read indicates that ERod is nowhere near ready. Remember, he's essentially in his 3rd week of spring training at this point. Kelly is much closer, but he will reclaim his original slot that's been less than spectacularly filled by the Owens/O'Sullivan duo.
  17. Good attitude. The latter should have nothing to do with the former. Slasher and I are about as opposite politically as you can get, but we agree >95% of the time on the important thing here, the Sox.
  18. Benintendi has been promoted to Portland: http://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2016/05/16/andrew-benintendi-double-a
  19. Start-up businesses fail all the time for all kinds of reasons. That's true whether the name behind the business is a celebrity or Joe Schmo average taxpayer. I'll assume you have the same vitriol and position for Joe Schmo as well. Whether or not a Government should be involved in helping a new business with start-up capital is a different question. In an ideal world, IMO, they should not be. But I also understand that if Rhode Island chooses not to do it but Massachusetts or Connecticut do, then those potential jobs (and tax revenue) go to those states, not Rhode Island. (No idea if MA or CT do, but I suspect most states have some program along these lines).
  20. Name a manager who isn't in that situation.
  21. Agree. Hanley has been good, but as an old first sacker, I've seen a few things that could he could improve on. I think he sets up to stretch too soon for one thing; it's forced him to make some plays look more difficult than they needed to be when the throw has been slightly off line. As you said, how far he should range and playing the weak hit balls are a couple more, and he's made some throws a little harder than they need to be by not taking a step right or left as needed. Those are all things that come with experience.
  22. C'mon dewey, consider who you're responding to.
  23. Right now I would go with Vazquez. First, he makes all the routine plays seemingly effortlessly AND has made some great ones as well. Two things jump out: the pitching staff is not afraid to throw splitters with him behind the plate and right now teams are not really even attempting any running game against the Sox. Frankly, I have not been that impressed with JBJ's play in the OF this season. Yes, he has made some great plays, but he has missed a few that I think makes last season and his throwing has not been nearly as good (been off the mark several times, in a couple instances by wide margins). He's been good, but IMO he was better last year.
  24. ____________________________________________ ____________________________________________ Yeah, that's what is says:)
  25. Emp9, the Cards got rid of Craig for a reason; they aren't taking him back.
×
×
  • Create New...