Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Once again, the 7, 8, and 9 slots are lefty bats against a righty starter. But Devers is out, Moreland moved up to 5th, and Holt is back in at 2b and batting 7th. Nunez still 1st, Beni moved up to 2d and Mookie up to 3d, and HanRAm is back in the lineup as cleanup. Bogie still 6th. While I realize batting JBJ 9th is a travesty, a crime against nature, I kind of like that he gets rbi's way down there in the pit of despair. I checked his splits, and he has 230 at bats--almost two thirds of his 352--at the 7th and 8th positions, which are also where he hits the best, with the 7th being slightly better.
  2. Oh, that's good.
  3. About Sale. My high point last night wasn't the 13 K's or the 8 innings of shutout ball. It was leaping to snare that high hopper to get an out. This guy comes to play and to win. I doubt that Pedro, Roger, or Cy would make that play. Sale is a complete player.
  4. With 49 games to go and a 4 game lead, I'm only optimistic about and certainly not sure we will win the AL East. Once in the playoffs, I agree the Sox pitching staff is as good as any or better in the AL. The Dodgers staff is clearly better, but our pitching could well get us to the WS with just some hitting (and scoring of course). The Sox 2013 postseason is instructive on this point. Chris Sale is the 8th wonder of the world, but he is not invincible. More to the point, you want him pitching on short rest when the available evidence says he gets better with an extra day of rest. Nevertheless, I applaud your optimism and your use of stats, which is why this is a great thread.
  5. And 6 1/2 over the Rays.
  6. And I am glad to see Kimbrel nail down that save after I griped about him.
  7. I don't. If you want to, blame it on Farrell because he wants his baserunners aggressive and I think that includes his 3d base coach. What happened to JBJ, however, was simple inattention or misjudgment.
  8. Don't they have a lousy bullpen this year?
  9. I have to be honest and say that right now I'm not as comfortable with Kimbrel getting the save as I once was. Lately he still gets the K's, but he is also hittable.
  10. How do you know he didn't do that? I did not see a replay showing the 3d base coach.
  11. My gosh our hitters have taken a lot of pitches tonight, including Leon looking at three straight strikes in his first at bat.
  12. How can you be so sure there was no chatter from the first base coach? I mean, it's fundamental and a habit. You can't stop coaches from talking to every baserunner who sticks around their base. I'm not buying it. I think JBJ misjudged that fly ball, period.
  13. That's a pretty good explanation if true. But how do we know he didn't remind JBJ how many outs?
  14. What job? He was in foul territory down the 3d base line. Nothing he said or did would have made have made a difference because by the time JBJ would have seen him, he would be dead meat.
  15. Bad as that was, the Guardians just topped it. Man on first, 1 out, pop fly that lands on the pitcher's mound because both the thirdbaseman and the pitcher thought the other would catch it. Finally, the thirdbaseman grabs it, fumbles and still has time to beat the runner going to 2d. But the bad part is they also still had time to throw out the hitter who must have decided he was out and didn't have to run it out. Double play, maybe a GIDP by and Indian.
  16. No. This was all on JBJ. The play was right in front of him. He had simply made up his mind to score and nothing could dissuade him.
  17. Did that really just happen? That fly to left wasn't even that deep, and JBJ thought he could score on it from 1b.
  18. Fascinating, against a lefty pitcher our 7, 8, and 9 batters are all lefties (Leon switch hits). 5 lefties in this lineup. Also interesting that Pedroia is the DH, no doubt because of his knee. The the Sox Hitting thread, there has been ample discussion of the importance of different slots--that 2d is key, 3d not so key, 4th and 5th key, and 1st does not need to be a basestealer. But what is abundantly clear--to me, anyway--is that Farrell has thrown off the shackles of a set lineup and is trying a lot of different ones. And tonight's is exhibit 1. Betts is finally, finally batting cleanup, and Nunez has the mission of getting on base as the leadoff. Pedroia is probably a good choice for #2 even though he is rusty. Beni is OK at 3 especially when the stats guys say 3 is inconsequential. The last five--Devers, Bogaerts, Moreland, Leon, and Bradley is kind of like what he has already been doing recently. No Brock Holt, which is fine with me. Also no Ramirez, which is kind of a surprise.
  19. Turns out I was wrong--someone else pointed out the Chisox are 4-26 in their last 30 games. Yankees have their game at Cleveland well in hand, so the margin should remain 3 games with us now going on the road.
  20. Another good start for Fister and great hitting by a new/old contributor Young. Yesterday Beni and JBJ had the big dingers, today Young who had 5 of the Sox 6 rbi's. Let's hope Kimbrel comes thru in the 9th.
  21. Actually, I like your stats and theories and have no complaints on general principles that Holt shouldn't bat 2d (if at all in my view). I was just saying that Farrell only did this once and it seems to have worked. I continue to be astounded at how much Holt gets to play and expect that to change when Pedroia returns. For Holt fans, I don't mind agreeing that sometimes he does good stuff and he sure is versatile. I could be wrong, but I think he takes more pitches, including strikes, than any other Sox player.
  22. Interesting lineup with righty Pelfrey on the mound--Holt leading off at 2b, Young in RF and batting cleanup, Nunez 2d at DH, and Leon catching at 9th: Holt 2b Nunez DH Benintendi LF Young RF Devers 3b Bogaerts SS Moreland 1B Bradley CF Leon C These days Farrell seems determined not to repeat lineups.
  23. Actually, Boston currently wins 56% of our games and Chicago 38%, which means the White Sox would normally be odds on to take at least 1 of the 4 games and not a bad bet (albeit odds against) to take 2 of 4. If Fister has turned a corner, I like the Red Sox today. If not, today will be a challenge.
  24. In addition to which, last year the Sox got going with a nice 6 game win streak in August. However, they really won the division in September when the bullpen got very good.
×
×
  • Create New...