Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Gotta agree with that. Just 5 lousy outs, but they were huge.
  2. Our first five in the lineup tonight are hitless. This of course Farrell's fault. Clearly the wrong lineup.
  3. One of Reed's outs was a line drive hit straight to HanRam
  4. Sox have now used 6 pitchers in 3.2 innings.
  5. His 100 mph fastball at this point is something opposing hitters feast on or don't you watch the games? They feast on it because it's basically the only pitch he can throw for strikes and often throws it near the middle of the killing zone.
  6. Thanks. I knew someone would speak up and blame this on Farrell because he of course is the one giving up the dingers, hits, HBP's, walks, etc. Never, ever blame the bullpen when they implode because it's not their fault. They were improperly used. Kimbrel should have been pitching the 6th and 7th innings.
  7. Reed? He's the one who was killing us before. Plus we still have the 8th and 9th innings to go. You might as well be saying, where's Kimbrel? I always astonishes me how you guys blame Farrell when the bullpen--not just one guy, but three guys--implodes.
  8. Now is the time for the boo birds to come out and blame all this on Farrell--first, for taking Pomeranz out, then for not bringing Kimbrel in to pitch the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th innings.
  9. Kelly's problem is that the only pitch he can consistently throw for strikes is his fast ball, so opposing hitters sit on it, and he often puts one in the middle of the strike zone.
  10. Well said. Time to bring Kimbrel in because the game is one the line. Who cares that it's the 7th inning?
  11. Yankees now 4 back after beating the Mets 4 straight. Big series, ditto the one in NYC 2 weeks from now. Against Montgomery, I'm guessing HanRam 1b, Young DH, Vazquez C, and no changes at LF, CF, RF, 3b, SS, 2b. Not sure Beni will bat 2d or HanRam 4th.
  12. Montgomery vs. Pomeranz, two lefties
  13. So last night was a good litmus test. Was JBJ simply aggressive or idiotic?
  14. I was against this thread as soon as I saw the title. Talk about jumping the gun! But I'm actually for it after reading bosoxmal's OP and because Devers seems to have such vast potential. Yes, modern technology will help pitching coaches figure the best way to pitch to him, but so far he clearly can hit fast balls and seems comfortable with breaking pitches as well and seems to know the strike zone. Plus, unlike Foxx, he hits from the left side, which helps in a righty pitcher universe. I'm no doubt wrong, but I think his swing is more ruthian than foxxian. Devers is actually older than Foxx and Ruth when they came up and about the same age as Williams.
  15. Makes sense. Thanks. My guess is the play is "default legal."
  16. I am not a DD fan at all, but he has my grudging respect with Sale, Pomeranz, Kimbrel, Nunez, et al. Plus he let Sandoval go, finally.
  17. No complaints from me on the Devers call up, which I agree was measured, not hasty. I truly think the issue was Sandoval and eating that big contract. They had to be sure neither he nor his contract was redeemable. Plus I think Devers benefitted from a few games at AAA. As it is, his defense is still not there, but his hitting is just unreal.
  18. On more reason to try it is that, while Beni was on deck and hot, the Cardinals would have walked him to get to HanRam for the third out.
  19. Ah, but he wasn't, was he? the mlb.com backstory is that JBJ had gone to Butterfield and asked him for a go signal if Nunez or Betts hit something "off the wall." Yes, the throw beat the runner, but we all keep forgetting that the catcher/fielder not only has to catch that throw, but also tag the baserunner. These become even harder when the runner is coming at you full steam and the entire game is on the line. I would argue strongly that those two imperatives--catch the ball securely and make the tag, which meant bring the ball from the right side of his body to the far left side--put a lot of pressure on Molina. Molina, I might add, was not charged with an error. I think this kind of play is where you and I part company. You call it foolhardy if not boneheaded, and I call it great baseball.
  20. It was Holt or Leon, period. Holt is faster, about even in OBP with Leon, and a better bunter. You are free to disagree with the decision, of course, but it was hardly horrific.
  21. OK, the hitting is a worry. I get it. Heck, I started the thread because I like to panic early. I am also aware of moonslav's strong opinion that Farrell is the wrong manager, especially as reflected in, he says, at least two bonehead plays every single game. However, from July 31 to the present the Sox have played 14 games and averaged 6 runs per game and are 12-2 for those games, including a couple or so wins when we did not score 4 or more runs. On top of that we finally have a true ace in Sale, a great closer in Kimbrel, and the knowledge that Betts, Bogaerts, Ramirez, et al,can hit better than they have been hitting thus far. Nunez and Devers--to my great delight because I never thought they would make much difference--seem finally to have pushed the ghost of Ortiz off stage just enough for this to team to play the way they are capable of. Even without Pedroia. Or Price.
  22. Betts leads the team in rbi's, runs, and total bases. This is unsat?
  23. Benintendi also wags his bat. I've been told it's OK as long as the bat is still and in the right position when the pitcher releases the ball or something like that.
  24. Last year the Sox had five players in the American League to 30 in OPS and 1 in the next 30. This year we have none in the top 30 and six in the next 30. However, this team right now is hitting the ball well, hence the great won-loss record in August. Devers and Nunez have helped the whole lineup. Caesar said, veni, vidi, vici. We ain't that good, but we do have Beni, Nuni, Devi, JB, and Bogie.
  25. Betts leads the team in rbi's, runs, and total bases and will likely finish the season that way.
×
×
  • Create New...