Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Not the best pregame prediction . . . Mine was a little more balanced because I mentioned recent and better games by Alcantara.
  2. Marlins back to back doubles, 1-0. If there is in fact a good Giolito, he needs to show up soon.
  3. Rafaela takes better routes than Duran. Thank goodness. Marlins are hitting Giolito hard.
  4. A heckuva lot of pregame comments on the game thread. Most this season?
  5. Cora is managing both Crochet and Narvaez carefully and for the same reason.
  6. Completely agree about Narvaez, but why 3 catchers when Wong is already a reliable backup despite lousy hitting? Can't Sanchez be sent to Worcester instead of using up a roster slot?
  7. The Sox won 4 WS during 2004-19, the most in MLB. Same time period, the Yankees won 1 WS. Covid in 2020 had an effect on attendance in 2020 and 2021, but attendance was pretty close to normal by 2022. But the Sox have not recovered, mostly because of not making the postseason, but also because fans knew JH wanted to spend less on players. Nevertheless, I like that the Sox are 9th now. You are dead right about road attendance. The Pirates right now are 5th. Rampaging Milwaukee is 23d in road attendance.
  8. Does anyone else agree with me that Sanchez as the third catcher right now is kind of pricey in that he has played just 1 inning? I know he's the 2d backup in case Narvaez can't handle a full season as catcher, but why is he on the active roster?
  9. In line with "A Realistic View of 2025," I think it appropriate to look at attendance. By that I mean that here on talksox we are more than happy to find fault with the Sox. But those who go to the games are paying dearly for the experience. The best Sox team ever, 2018, had average home attendance of 36,747, ranked 9th in MLB. Their average road attendance was 29,992, ranked 9th. This year's Sox have an average home attendance of just 33,664, but are also ranked 9th in MLB. Average road attendance is 31,145, ranked 6th and significantly better than 2018.
  10. Awful his last 2 starts in August. However, his last 2 starts in July were pretty good--@ Cardinals, 5 IP, 0 ER and Padres, 7 IP, 0 ER. In June he gave up 7 ER in his last start, but in the other four starts he pitched 6, 5, 6, and 6 innings with 3, 2, 0, and 2 ER. The Marlins are 30-32 on the road, so they cannot be counted on to roll over.
  11. Sure I do. You said average and I think the Sox defense is above average.
  12. To be honest, I'm fine with making the playoffs. I think Cora is a good manager in the playoffs. He has a good lineup---hitting, defense, and baserunning. And I think he has a good bullpen and 3 good starters in Crochet, Bello, and Giolito Behind them Buehler and now May have had good starts against good teams.
  13. I shall cease and desist. It's an idiom I love but use to excess.
  14. Agree with all except the defense. And that's good because we have to disagree on something. Kudos to both Breslow and Cora--but especially to all those Sox players who keep life interesting for me.
  15. Some excellent reminders in there. The farm system has definitely been paying off. If Mayer can stay off the IL--a big if--he is definitely an asset. If Campbell can fix his hitting, I have every confidence he can play 1b. FWIW, Campbell's horrible, terrible OPS when he left was .664. Toro's is .689.
  16. Finally, finally someone who wants to provide a realistic view of 2025!!!!! Plus I needed to read something positive after losing 4/6 at San Diego and Houston. However, 2 of the 4 losses were 1 run games. Against two of the best pitching staffs in MLB in their ball parks the Sox scored 37 runs in 6 games. If we throw out 8 of the 14 runs Tuesday night, it's still 29 runs in 6 games. So I think the Sox hitting is still good. So is the pitching, ERA 3.75. So is the defense in LF, CF, RF, Catcher, 3b, and SS. Heck, the Sox actually have 4 good defensive outfielders, who can also hit. Bregman at 3b and Story at SS by themselves are a major improvement over last year, and so far Narvaez has the best DWAR of any Sox catcher in a long time. Yes, there are errors, but also a lot excellent plays that save runs. Barring key injuries, I think these Sox are headed for the postseason.
  17. Moved on? Chapman, maybe. But I will be astounded if the Sox don't keep Bregman.
×
×
  • Create New...