Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Perhaps. And perhaps he was compensating for tossing Holt earlier.
  2. I think I might want to retract that Holt is dumb comment. He griped about a good strike, but the strategy of getting the ump to stop giving Tanaka those low strikes--which Tanaka absolutely needs in order to get guys out--might just have worked.
  3. Moreland barely got from 1st to 3d on a stand up double by JBJ. Same exact thing happened in the 1st.
  4. No, I'm not. But tonight I'm pissed that no one but no one but me wants Porcello to do well. I'm serious when I ask, whatever happened to rooting for your own team and that includes Porcello?
  5. Right on! Porcello just stinking up with those 7 runs in the 1st. Oh, wait.
  6. Porcello is actually trying not to throw gopher balls and has thrown a lot of strikes. Plus, all things considered, that was a gutsy 2d inning and very smooth 3d. In a big game vs. the so-called arch rivals. But is anyone besides me pulling for him? Nope. Funny thing is, I'm usually very critical of Porcello, but tonight I thought he looked pretty darn good in the 1st. Plus, foolish me, I'm pulling for the Sox to win this game.
  7. Tanaka give us 7 in the 1st, and it's ho hum. Porcello gives up 2 in the 2d against a very good Yankees lineup, and he's the worst stinking pitcher in MLB history. Is this really a Red Sox site? What the hell ever happened to root,root,root for the home team?
  8. I think we can hold off on the talk about how great JBJ is. Awful.
  9. What in the wide. wide world of sports do you mean by "pitchers what have actual pitching talent and that pitch within themselves?" I'm beginning to have second thoughts on the overload shifts because some hitters--including Devers for one-- have learned how to go the other way. If this continues, fine. Otherwise, I agree that the shifts bad for MLB.
  10. Agree on the Tampa series, yesterday's bravura start by Morton, and this weekend. But that won't stop me from watching.
  11. I'm with you. He is actually capable of that when he is on.
  12. TylerD is going for a purple heart or something because tonight's game is fraught with peril. For starters, so far this year our guys have a losing record at Fenway. We have good hitting--hooray! hooray--but can be shut down by good pitching, and Tanaka (ERA 4.00) is pitching tonight--and he is backed up by one of the best bullpens in MLB. The Yankees also have good hitting, and Porcello is going for the Sox--he of the 5.61 ERA. Nevertheless, a game worth watching because these two teams are one of the best rivalries in sports. Fenway is a very photogenic ball park, and ain't nothing guaranteed for either side in a MLB game. Tanaka has a better repertoire and normally better control than Porcello, but he is anything but unbeatable this year. Forget the London game when both were terrible. I just like this Sox lineup. Lefties have a .787 OPS vs. Tanaka, and Cora can put several decent ones (especially Devers and Holt) out there and some good righty bats too.
  13. Much better than my post. Well stated.
  14. I hope you realize that many of us bonafide Sox fans attack our own players or at least state our dissatisfaction. See the JBJ thread, for example. Better still, the bullpen thread. I myself have regularly gone after the rotation because they are getting paid $88M this year and not performing to that standard.
  15. jacksonianmarch is that rare poster who remains loyal (but not uncritically so) to the Yankees but is somehow able to criticize the Sox without being offensive. He likes to talk and argue about baseball players, teams, salaries, you name it--just like many of our talksox posters. He is opinionated, knowledgeable, and insightful, but never obnoxious.
  16. Beni's struggles rubbing off on the rest of the team????? That makes no sense when the Sox lead MLB in runs scored. They lost today because the Rays have great pitching, 2d best in MLB, and finally showed it today.
  17. Without that miraculous opposite field grounder single by Devers, the Sox get shut out. The Rays do have the second lowest ERA in MLB and the best in the AL, so this should not be unexpected.
  18. He started this game with three shut out innings. That's a crappy start?
  19. The problem with Price this inning was way too many fastballs without any changeups. I'd like to blame that on Chavez, but I'm pretty sure Price has no hesitation in shaking off signs.
  20. 27 pitches in 2 innings equates to 81 pitches in 6 innings. So, keep it up, David! I frankly did not expect Price to look this good and am at a loss to explain why he has so far been effective (for 2 innings). Morton has a better assortment of pitches and better control.
  21. And that's as it should be be.
  22. Very likely, but acquiring pitchers, starters or relievers, is a tricky business, especially recently and especially with DD: Sale, Price, Pomeranz, Porcello, Eovaldi, Kimbrel, and others have all been problematic. Eovalidi, agreed, worked out great last year, but this year over 1/2 the season on the IL. Sale was pretty great the last two seasons, but not once August rolled around, and this year, after a tough April, decent May and June, we've seen 12 earned runs in 22 innings, ERA 4.84, in July and 4.04, season to date. Price has never been worth $30M/year. Pom and Porc way over-priced and under-performing. Kimbel a great closer until the 2018 postseason, when his apparent mission was to sabotage the bullpen. Cashner to date has gone 11 innings and given up 9 earned runs. So, me, I'm thinking it's OK if DD is a little leery of the pitching marketplace. There may in fact be great bargains or simply great but expense arms to acquire, but, once he acquires them, they seem to slide downhill.
  23. Time to start the next game thread. Game starts in an hour.
  24. Not ready to call them trash. Last night Barnes pitched a clean 7th and Workman a clean 8th, so Cora brought him back (with his 2.17 ERA) to finish. A leadoff single, but then a reasonable double play ball, but Chavis was slow and made a bad throw, so just 1 out. Then a K, so 2 outs with a man on 1b. Then, inexplicably, the walk, followed by another single, followed by another walk. Out goes Workman, in comes Walden, who walks Pham on 4 pitches with the bases loaded to make it 5-4. And just like that two good pitches by Walden, both strikes, that lead to an easy ground out to 1B with of course our catcher playing 1B. Lost in the game narrative of course is the great job Cora did last night--using Leon to get the most out of Sale, saving Vazquez for the perfect moment to pinch hit, then keeping him in at 1B, and making great decisions on keeping Sale in and then managing the bullpen at a crucial juncture.
×
×
  • Create New...