Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. JH approves this thread!
  2. About your "personally, I wanted Betts here." That is the rub, isn't it? He's a bonafide five tool player who handled the nastiest right field in MLB like it was the new Yankee Stadium right field, and we could watch him almost every day (or night) 150 or more times a year. He won the AL MVP the year the Sox had probably their best season ever. He's like Yaz only probably better, but the big money sucked him up like a tornado and deposited him where the movie Wizard of Oz was made.
  3. I can't comment on team chemistry this year, but can say I emphatically believe JDM's bat was the key to the 2018 season, maybe the best Sox season ever, because his hitting improved the rest of the lineup. He can do the same for this year's lineup even though it can't be as good as the 2018 one. JDM is also more than happy to play in the outfield. Not much range, but a pretty good arm. So there he was in left field two games ago when Vazquez DH'd in a day game after a night game which he caught, all 12 innings of it. I might add David Ortiz was also pretty decent at 1B when needed.
  4. Pretty much the way I see it--except that I simply resent the amount of money it would have taken to keep Mookie Betts. No one is worth that much, and no one needs that much money. Same goes for Price. Also Trout. And others.
  5. I agree with Notin and am fine with Devers, errors and all, and Bogaerts, with his limited range, on the left side of the infield. As we have just learned, the backup DH should be Vazquez with JD Martinez moving to LF. I am more and more convinced no one on talksox has ever heard or read the expression, "good field, no hit," which is shorthand for guys who usually don't get to the majors and never to the HOF, which is reserved for hitters and pitchers. Are there some great fielders in the HOF? Absolutely. But their bats got them in. Is Willie Mays my favorite HOF'er? He sure is--precisely because he was a bona fide five tool player whose most famous play was grabbing Wertz's 1954 World Series long drive deep into the vast expanse of the Polo Grounds centerfield. Seeing a great defensive play is like reading a sonnet by Keats or Shakespeare, but only occasionally is it a game-winner.
  6. Me, I'm just happy with 4-3 after the 0-3 start. Someone else said the Sox started 1-6 last year, so maybe this year there is hope if not yet conviction. It's April, for crying out loud. I finally bought the mlb.tv package with the understanding I will only miss (live online) games against the Orioles, Nationals, and Braves. As Thunder keeps reminding us, it's a real season with real games if not yet real crowds. And so far I am astounded by the pitching.
  7. JDM transformed the Sox lineup in 2018, which turned out to be a pretty decent season.
  8. Moonslav’s still right, however.
  9. Saturday is next game.
  10. You’re right. I just like mentioning Williams, a classic great-hit, no-field player. Piersall once COMPLAINED he should get paid double for covering LF and CF.
  11. Not true. Late in his career, Ted Williams played some first base.
  12. That’s what I guessed. Thanks.
  13. Can someone tell me how Gonzalez was thrown out at home?
  14. can't get the game online, so am following pitch by pitch with graphics. Another dinger off ERod, who is throwing strikes but still getting a high pitch count.
  15. Correct me if I'm wrong--and I often am--but weren't the Lester and Betts departures (from low bids) the result of the FO paying too much for lousy players like Sandoval and H. Ramirez?
  16. Just six games, but so far I see surprisingly good pitching, four as-expected good bats (JDM, Bogie, Vazquez, and hopefully Devers), and unexciting defense in the outfield and scary on the right side of the infield.
  17. Pumped is the right word, which reminds me: Thunder pointed out that a bunch of us--me, especially--were negatively pumped (deflated) just a week ago. But he was pumped back then simply because a new season was upon us with real baseball for real fans despite the pandemic, etc. These days I'm feeling pretty darn gruntled.
  18. E. Rodriguez vs M. Harvey, lefty vs. righty ERod is a huge question mark. Great in 2019, heart trouble in 2020, and "dead arm" momentarily this spring. Harvey went 4.2 vs. the Sox at Fenway, giving up 2 runs and 6 hits, and the Orioles bullpen(Plutko, Tate, and Valdez) shut the Sox down for 4.1 innings with 1 hit.
  19. K. Hernandez CF A. Verdugo RF JD Martinez DH R. Devers 3B C. Vazquez C M. Gonzalez SS C Arroyo 2B F. Cordero LF B Dalbec 1B
  20. CB approves this thread!
  21. For the record, I was very pessimistic about this season. No pitching, suspect defense, and not much hitting—confirmed in first series except the pitching was ok. I am stunned by the Rays series and ecstatic because I watched all three games.
  22. Yep. Nothing like April 4th to get me feeling gruntled for a change.
×
×
  • Create New...