Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Oh, stop it. I'm being a pissant. You, on the other hand, reminded me day game after a night game, which is a big deal. So you are probably right about Plawecki not being ready to catch a whole game.
  2. They absolutely did. Great game.
  3. Clearly, smearly. You are looking at a superimposed rectangle that nobody else, certainly no one of the field of play, can see. Plus making that rectangle is tricky because it depends on exactly what part of the hitters torso--which can be affected by the hitters stance--defines the top and bottom of the zone. Then there's the question of what part of the ball's trajectory counts as hitting or missing that rectangle. For all we know the hitters don't actually know where the top and bottom of the strike zone are.
  4. Nonsense. This month right here, August, is the only month worth discussing. Vazquez caught Eovaldi vs. the Jays on 6 August when he gave up 7 runs. Plawecki caught Eovaldi August 11, 17, and 23 when Eovaldi pitched a total of 19 innings while giving up 4 runs. Cora should have started Plawecki today. Next time I hope he does check with me.
  5. Eovaldi pitching the 6th!!!! Bravo!!! Two straight games when our starters show heart as well as skill. Too bad. He left that slider up and in the middle. Looks like Taylor to keep Reyes from scoring.
  6. That 93 mph sinker is vicious because he also throws a 4 seamer that doesn't break down. Quantrill gets another call because he is so close on almost all his pitches.
  7. There are zero Sox pitchers who can hit the lower left corner followed by hitting the upper right corner--but Quantrill just did it. Bogey swung at both pitches.
  8. After Gimenez comes the top of Cleveland's order--for the 3d time. Great inning, Eovaldi!! Skill and heart.
  9. 5 innings, 63 pitches by Quantrill. He is nasty and should be good for 7 innings. Eovaldi has needed 78 pitches to go 4 innings, so 5 innings, if he can do it, is probably his max.
  10. You got me. The Cleveland fielders are lucky neither of them was injured on that 120 mph scorcher. In all honesty, I did like Vazquez's slide into 2b.
  11. Actually, I do try to give Vazquez credit when it's deserved. I also think he deserves to be the primary catcher. But Plawecki in my opinion is one of the reasons why Eovalid is having a terrific season. No question Vazquez was great with ERod last night--as well as Richards and Ottavino.
  12. Stupid call by the SS unless the leftfielder said he couldn't see it.
  13. I'm with the announcers. Quantrill has better command than Eovaldi today. When Eovaldi hits a corner, it's luck. Quantrill is consistently very close to his target.
  14. The umpire whiners are at it again. To me Quantrill gets more calls because he is always around the plate and rarely in the middle of it. I'm probably wrong, but I think it was a mistake not to have Plawecki catch Eovaldi today.
  15. Love that first inning, but it's obvious Quantrill is way better than Eovaldi--better control and better mix of pitches. Here's hoping Eovaldi can go 2 more shut out innings so Cora can bring in Whitlock.
  16. Probably. But I prefer Cora, who has actually won a WS. Plus Cash is the guy who pulled Blake Snell in the 6th inning in last year's WS, and he did it in a 1-0 game and despite the fact that Snell was pitching the game of his life. Cash's system--the Ray's system--works, but it's just a tad too mechanical for me. He lacks fingerspitzengefuhl and simply does whatever his computer says is mathematically the right thing. He's the guy Billy Beane in Moneyball would want as his manager.
  17. Which seat is everything at Fenway, but not at home watching on the screen. I have been a Sox fan since 1949 and have been to just two Sox games. Both times the seats--the sightlines--were execrable. Fenway Park looks terrific on TV, but it is easily one of the 3 or 4 worst ballparks in MLB. It's over 100 years old, for crying out loud.
  18. Actually it comes and goes like the tide. Even the most faithful will have to agree the last month has been painful. But they--you--can also point to replacing Richards and Perez with Sale and Houck, adding Schwarber to the lineup, Richards becoming a pretty good reliever (last night he pitched a clean 8th inning when the Sox clung to a 1 run lead), Dalbec maybe coming on as he certainly has in August, etc. As dgalehouse says, the wild card sure looks to be the Sox destiny this season--espn says our odds are 88%--and that's pretty good given what we expected back in April.
  19. Good point. That said, the Sox throughout the John Henry era, the best era in Sox history, have lacked great arms in the minors. I would love if Bloom could fix that. Certainly the Rays are great at developing pitchers and he just left there.
  20. Never look back. Someone may be gaining on you.
  21. My choice would be Ottavino, but I completely agree Barnes will get another shot. If Richards can be rehabbed into a pretty darn good reliever--small sample, just 4 games--Shirley Barnes can. He needs to think about what he is doing and focus on fixing what is fixable. And, exactly as you say, Cora needs to send him back to the mound. I think he should use his changeup more and to throw more pitches low in the zone--or high or above the zone if they will swing. Right now the Sox bullpen needs reliable arms, and Barnes has one, it's just not quite as reliable as the one we saw earlier this season.
  22. I don't like Dr. Phil, so you will have to do and you are so right.
  23. About right. I don't like our hitting against good pitchers, but today with Eovaldi I do like our pitching. Plus I like our bullpen and think it's better than theirs.
  24. It absolutely does look that way. I think we can stay ahead of the A's and hope we can make up the 3 games we are behind the Yankees, but those Rays are just too consistent and keep building that 7 game lead.
×
×
  • Create New...