Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Well, you asked for it. I like Devers, really. But he does sometimes infuriate me--and tonight is a perfect example of how he craps out with men on base. Duran led off the game with a double, and Devers popped out to 1b. In the 5th, Duran gets a triple with one out, and Devers strikes out onthe 2d straight slider in the freaking dirt. That, sir, is not the sign of professional hitter. I hasten to add that he asked for a batter's timeout immediately after the 3d pitch, which was the first slider in the dirt and was called a ball. The world can only wonder what Devers said to himself in the brief hiatus before he swung and missed at the second straight slider in the dirt.
  2. Good point. Smith will DH tonight and Cooper play 1b. As you say, Grissom at 2b. The three decent outfielders--O'Neill, Duran, and Abreu--are in LF, CF, and RF. Devers at 3b, Rafaela at SS, and, by golly, McGuire catching. 5 lefty bats and 4 righty.
  3. mvp 78 already said it and in fewer words. In the AL it's tough to get a wild card bid with less than 90 wins and a winning percentage of .556. Right now the Sox are @ .543. Last year the Jays were a wild card with 89 wins and a winning percentage of .549.
  4. It's just about that simple.
  5. Blackout restriction here in North Carolina, but I will track the game via gameday on mlb.com. While I agree the Braves should have the pitching edge tonight, if only because their hitting is better, I must point out that they have lost 6 of their last 8 games to Cleveland, Seattle, and LA. Both teams had last night off, but the Braves are returning from the west coast. Last time out Lopez went just 5 innings in Seattle and gave up 3 runs. Last time out Crawford went 7 innings vs San Francisco and gave up 2 runs. The Sox are 12-7 on the road and the Braves are 11-4 at home. Lopez is a righty. Here are the OPS's of the Sox best available (not on the IL) hitters vs righties so far this season: Refsnyder 1.224; Wong 1.005; O'Neill .949; Devers .947; Abreu .900; Duran .723; McGuire .700; Hamilton .668; Rafaela .590; Smith .429. Plus Grissom is 1/9 with that big double Sunday @ Minnesota. I think Refsnyder, Wong, O'Neill, Devers, Abreu, Duran, Rafaela, and Smith will all start tonight and the one question is whether Hamilton or Grissom will start at 2b.
  6. I hope the FO looks at where the team is when they make those decisions in July. If, for example, the Sox are 62-46 in late July, maybe it would make sense to keep one or more of the four you've named.
  7. Pickoffs are what irritate me. Against the Twins, I thought whoever got thrown out trying to get a double simply wasn't expecting the right fielder to be able to play that big wall the same way leftfielders play the green monster at Fenway. Plus my guess the Twins right field wall is further out than the green monster. If you don't have a good hitting team, it might make sense to gamble a little more on the basepaths. But I honestly don't know if that's statistically true.
  8. Ted Williams "round ball with a round bat squarely" notwithstanding, I think pitching is co-equal with hitting as a difficult skill to master. Casas's freak injury notwithstanding, most MLB players can put in all kinds of extra batting practice without risking injury. They can in fact get better even though, in the final analysis, talent plays a huge part. Not so with pitchers who, we now know, are more at risk this season than at any time before--or so it seems. The Tommy John Club membership now accepts little leaguers. I believe there's also something like "Not Quite Tommy John" that Giolito had done back in March. It's called an "internal brace procedure to repair the UCL in his right elbow." Just about every MLB team today is neatly divided into two camps: 13 hitters and 13 pitchers. I hasten to add that those 13 hitters also do most of the fielding and all of the baserunning, whereas all the pitchers need to be good at doing is pitching. Anyone want to guess how many total chances Kenley Jansen has had (in 11 IP)? Anyone? He hasn't had any.
  9. I think you're right, but the espn stats on the Sox say O'Neill's DWAR is -0.4, tied with Casas for lowest DWAR on the team. In his brief return (to date), Refsnyder is actually worse with a -0.3 DWAR in just 12 games. The three best DWAR's on the Sox to date are Duran's +0.7, Abreu's +0.4, and Rafaela's +0.4. Rafaela also leads the Sox in errors with 6.
  10. It's May 6, 35 games into the season, and 3 of 5 from the opening day rotation are still on the IL. However, Houck, Crawford, and Bello (on the IL) lead the Sox staff in IP. Winckowski, Criswell, and Slaten all have more IP than Whitlock, whose return date is somewhere in the twilight zone. In addition to Winckowski, Criswell, and Slaten, Anderson, Weissert, Bernardino, Martin, and Rodriguez each have pitched more innings than Pivetta. Thus has Cora declared Pivetta to start this week despite his lousy 3 inning stint last week for Worcester. I'm astounded the Sox still have the lowest ERA in MLB, and I'm not alone. Were we to poll talksoxers, I believe 100% of us would admit we had zero expectation this Sox pitching staff could lead MLB in ERA for even a week.
  11. Three terrific outs to finish the 7th inning--and with men on 2d and 3d and no one out, yet. Sox are likely to lose because they can't hit Twins pitching to save their lives, but I really like that bottom of the 7th.
  12. Tough grab by Cooper on that toss by Hamilton.
  13. What's the horrible expression? Disrespected. Rafaela is definitely disrespected by the Twins pitching staff.
  14. Absolutely. That was definitely a passed ball. Shame on Wong. Terrific at bat by Abreu, who just couldn't hit those fastballs, so he just tapped that changeup that was in fact a ball.
  15. Agree both are assets. I prefer Wong because he's obviously a better athlete.
  16. Really? According to his bio, he's lived in Japan his entire life until last year or this year. Of course, nothing would have prevented him from learning English in Japan, but reportedly it's very difficult to learn English if you grow up Japanese. Anyway, I believe you. However, I still don't think McGuire's trip to the mound helped. Nor did his errant throw to center field.
  17. Of course they are. Big bucks for pitchers who immediately are injured and out for a year or more are just stupid.
  18. Actually, I like Rafaela. I'm just pissed off about the game and especially Mr Stupid McGuire.
  19. Speaking of stupid, that's how Rafaela looked in his latest at bat. Three called strikes for the K.
  20. McGuire is an idiot. First he gambles on a very tough play, one that is clearly not part of his repertoire, and brings home the 2d Twins run without getting an out. Then he does his best to screw up Uwasawa's concentration by first insisting his glove is broken and second by going out to the mound to talk gibberish--I'm positive he is not fluent in Japanese--to Uwasawa and throw him even further off. moonslav's CERA stats are complete bs. Wong is a much better catcher than McGuire.
  21. Grissom's throw to start the DP was right on the button.
  22. Twins have hit Houck's 94 mph sinker hard.
  23. Short throw to 1b also a problem for Grissom.
×
×
  • Create New...