Back to 2024, the topic of this thread. I think the last two series, 4 @ Baltimore and 3 and Houston, are very encouraging. The split with the Orioles, tied for best team in the AL, was terrific, and taking 2/3 @ Houston was even better because the Sox bullpen, our biggest weakness, was fantastic last night and again today.
The #2 and #3 wild cards, KC and MN, are both playing at a 90 wins pace (.556 x 162 = 90). That's a pretty good standard for getting the wild card, but I think the Sox are capable of that. How so? Consider--
The Sox have 5 viable starters in Houck, Bello, Crawford, Pivetta, and Criswell (even though I thought Criswell was lucky as heck today).
Just maybe the bullpen is viable. I loved that K by Bernardino to get THE GREAT ALVAREZ with the bases loaded and 2 outs today.
The hitting is amazingly good, especially with Casas hitting like he did in April and despite Devers struggling this month. Sox are 4th in MLB in runs score and 3d in team OPS. With a whole bunch of no-names.
The fielding is better than earlier this season. In the Houston series, our defense was demonstrably better than theirs.
Best manager in MLB and one of the best pitching coaches. Between them they have compensated for an inexperienced CBO (who has done little to help the team) and an owner who no longer wants to underwrite a top 3 payroll.