Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. The old Sale also stunk in the postseason, although not this bad.
  2. His velocity is about what it's been this season. His location ain't that bad--the grandslam was off a fastball above the zone. The problem is he has only two pitches, slider and fastball, and he is going against mostly righty hitters. He needs his changeup but can't trust it.
  3. But he did pitch--in game 1--and he gave up 3 runs.
  4. Ball game. Like I said, Sale has always stunk in the postseason, and tonight he goes against a bunch of righties and can't trust his changeup. So he is stinking with sliders and fastballs against a good hitting team that knows how to capitalize on a pitcher's weakness. Pitch 23, his first changeup, low for a ball.
  5. Still no changeups. Score now 2-1.
  6. As I said before, Sale has never pitched well in the postseason.
  7. No changeups yet by Sale. If he stays with fastballs and sliders, this could be painful.
  8. Nice K on 5 straight sliders.
  9. Love the two runs--badly needed against the Rays and with Sale on the mound. Horrible, horrible at bat by Devers. And Renfroe's wasn't much better. First pitch single off Sale's well placed fastball. Could be a painful night because Sale stunk his last time and has not been good in the postseason. Oh, goody. A hanging slider, first pitch single for Franco. Two pitches by Sale and two men on base for the Rays.
  10. Guys, guys, guys. The stealing of home was irrelevant to the game outcome. It was a smart play because of the shift, etc, and it was embarrassing. To me blaming guys is pointless—even me blaming Vazquez. Dumbest thing Cora could do is make sure it doesn’t happen again because other things are more important.
  11. Preacher, meet choir. Sale has never been good in the postseason.
  12. Vin Scully, an east coast guy, born in Manhattan, educated at Fordham, and a Brooklyn announcer until he was dragged to LA.
  13. Well, then, just maybe you and mvp 78 are out of touch with the latest thinking about rosters. As am I. Bullpens are in, and extra catchers aren't.
  14. I'm not worried about 13 pitchers either. With two bye dates in a five game ALDS, 11 should be plenty. But Cash and Cora both want 13. Bullpens rule.
  15. I was just paraphrasing a drunk John Riggins talking to Sandra Day O'Connor. The internet and the water cooler are two different universes, particularly with regard to civility. In my last job I actually enjoyed talking to a Yankees fan because we both knew something about each other's teams, and we were in an office setting. The internet, on the other hand, can get very dark very quickly. But I'm stuck with it because I'm retired-retired. Plus I think there are a number of good posters on talksox.
  16. Me, I'm fine with Dugo, Kike, and Renfroe in the outfield, and Devers, Bogey, Iglesias, and Dalbec in the infield with Arroyo as a backup. If JDM and Schwarber both return, I'd be fine with the system Cora has used this year with one of them playing a position. I would be OK with Plawecki and Wong as the catchers, but am fine with whatever Bloom and Cora decide. I think pitching is the issue even though the Sox already have some pretty good arms (Sale, Eovaldi, Houck, Whitlock, Taylor, etc).
  17. True. I liked listening to Curt Gowdy calling Sox games.
  18. Every manager these days is descended from Captain Hook. Just ask Cash, and he'll tell you that letting a starter face the the opposing lineup a third time is fraught with peril. Cash and Cora both chose to have 13 pitchers for the ALDS despite the travel days after games 2 and 4. So both expect to "hook 'em, horns!" As for Sale, I'm hoping he can go 4 or 5 innings because five days ago against the Nats he only went 2.2.
  19. I like that, except that the guy I hold responsible is the catcher, Vazquez. Taylor was just coming of the IL and was thrust into a tough situation with runners on 2d and 3d, so he was focused on pitching--as he should have been. Vazquez was the guy who should have signaled him to check the guy on 3d. Or stood up or whatever--before Arozarena headed for home.
  20. Aaaaaamen!!! The entire west coast can go suck an egg in bucket. Baseball was invented on the east coast.
  21. About Devers. Yes, I worry about his weight, but right now he looks pretty good to me and moves well on defense and on the basepaths. His swing pisses me off now and then, but you cannot not love the results. He has got to get rid of that giant wad of tobacco, which I gather is intended to calm his nerves or whatever. I think Eovaldi is the team MVP, but will not quarrel with anyone who says Devers, errors and all.
  22. Toughen up, Sandy (Supreme Court Associate Justice) baby. I put no one on ignore. And I at least glance at the game thread, where I already have posted for today's game.
  23. What the nattering nabobs of negativism have completely ignored is the absolute importance of MLB adding a second wild card team to each league, thus necessitating a wild card game, which in turn was and is intended to give the Division winner, also the team with the best record in that League, a clear advantage in the Division Series. We won't see our best starter until game 3 of the ALDS, and we will see him just once unless he pitches on very short rest or relieves. All that said, I was impressed with how the Rays won last night, especially their quickness in the field and on the basepaths. I'm nervous about Sale on the mound tonight, but also think the Sox have a real shot at winning.
×
×
  • Create New...