Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. I'm watching Sunday night Olympics on TNT, and they are showing team handball, which is as boring as it gets. The fly Abreu almost caught, on the other hand, was incredible. I can't remember the last time a Sox rightfielder went into the stands where Abreu did. O'Neill, on the other hand, is what I would call a fastidious outfielder. No crashing into 3d base/left field lines for him, nosiree.
  2. Rafaela's was worse. The Sox made two good throws to get that runner out--granted, by a mile, but still.
  3. He has definitely hit a rough patch, but I defend him because he had such a great first half of the season. Houck is struggling too--after an excellent first half. Also Pivetta, up and down before and after the ASG. .
  4. Historically, Sox hitting has led the way in their best seasons. As moonslav keeps reminding us, the lineup is filling up with hitters from Lake Woebegone--they are all above average.
  5. Bernardino has stunk recently, but tonight 1.1 IP and 0 runs and the bullpen 1 run in 2.1 IP. Crawford continues to struggle.
  6. I finally understand you. You believe these 2024 Sox are just another AAAA team, unworthy of your support.
  7. And that's why the Sox are losing 6-0--because they didn't score any runs. Oh . . . wait.
  8. Interesting. I've read the Sox have a pitch simulator that allows Sox hitters to practice against specific types of pitchers. But your point is valid. When Abreu goes against lefties, he looks lost in Yonkers.
  9. You have no peer in bombarding us with good stats to make a point. I notice that Casas appears to be on the mend and is swinging at real pitches--and could return next month. I'm the one who kept saying he might not return this season because his injury is so unusual and because it happened while simply swinging the bat. Anyway, your stats on pitching, hitting and W-L records are enlightening.
  10. That's not "circumspect." That's nit-picking. Yoshida did exactly what Cora wanted him to do, he hit the ball hard, and that's why it got it out of the infield. Horn has an ERA over 6, but he got 3 outs while giving up 1 hit, the cleanest full inning by any of the Sox six relievers. Jansen's been closing games and getting saves since 2010 and has averaged over 1K per IP. This season we've seen him use that cutter over and over and over again, usually with good effect. And you want to disparage that he K'd Judge looking? And you end by assuring us the best way to watch a Sox game is after knowing the final score? I hope you were being ironic.
  11. Amazing, thrilling win! I thought it was over when the Yankees destroyed our bullpen and went up 7-4. I do not believe Jansen's save was luck. He hit his spots.
  12. Sounds about right. Now they have Cora for 3 more years, but the other part is still up in the air. I mean, just as you said, Paxton is at least as good as Chris Sale, but one arm isn't enough.
  13. Meh. I've blasted Breslow more than anyone else, but he's also the guy who insisted on a new pitching coach, Bailey. To me that was bigger than any pitching deal I can remember the Sox making. And, in case you've forgotten, this 2024 Sox pitching staff is way better than the very pricey 2019 staff DD put together. When DD did that, he was a very experienced and skilled CBO, as he still is right now the Phillies--plus he basically had carte blanche with the Sox and easily the biggest payroll in MLB. Anything he wanted, he got--until the 2019 season unraveled. Then it was, see ya later, DD, and, see ya later, biggest payroll in MLB. This is Breslow's first year, and, as pissed off as I am about Sale and Giolito, I'm pretty happy with him.
  14. Irony still lives in talksox.
  15. Sad. but the Sox have earned that label. I haven't given up, but share your frustration.
  16. Well, now, that depends, doesn't it? I honestly thought I saw a better Sale last season than the one we'd seen since 2019. I looked forward to his return this season. But of course my opinion doesn't count for much. On the other hand, I think the Braves opinion should count. We know they are pretty smart about player acquisitions, and they went after Sale, after a fashion. They even talked Breslow into shelling out $17M along with Sale. I don't see how anyone can conclude anything but that the Braves snookered novice Breslow. Someday maybe Grissom will help, but there is absolutely no guarantee of it. Then there's Giolito, the presumed replacement for the departed Sale. $38M for 2 years, one of which is already completely lost.
  17. So you really are saying it. You know more than Cora and that new pitching coach--Bailey. Thanks, but I'm going with their judgment. You only come on talksox to gripe and never to root for the Sox.
  18. By now I think we have to agree that with Cora there is always method in his madness. We do know that the Sox best defensive outfield does not include Ref or O'Neill and does include the three who are starting today. We also know that Duran and Abreu hit righties better than O'Neill or Ref.
  19. Agree. Plus--and not that it's important--the W-L record is decent because the Sox are well within reach of a wild card slot.
  20. My first point was an exaggeration intended for dramatic effect. The rest of that post was intended to say that since June 12 the Sox have done pretty well and that part of that is fewer errors and/or disastrous errors. I am no expert, but I think the outfield defense is probably above average, especially when it's Duran in LF, Rafaela in CF, and Abreu in RF. But Duran's a pretty good centerfielder too. However, righty bat Refsnyder's DWAR is -0.8, which is awful. O'Neill's is -0.2. I think both catchers are pretty good behind the plate, but less good throwing baserunners out. The infield has been the problem, but I think less of one with Devers @ 3b, Rafaela @SS, Hamilton @ 2b, and Gonzalez @ 1b. I include Devers in the "good" list because of his bat and the decision to keep him at 3b, where his DWAR is -0.6.
  21. Statistically, the Sox have the worst defense in the entire history of baseball. But stats are funny and even malleable. I prefer lying, cheating, unreliable snapshots. I think the unearned runs are fewer and farther between since about 12 June.
  22. Today @ 3:15 it's Pivetta vs Quantrill. Gotta give the Sox the edge. Then Thursday off followed by 3 vs the Yankees and 3 vs Mariners at the Fens. By the end of those 6 games, we will know one very important thing--whether or not JH and his CBO support this Sox team. In JH's defense, Breslow's 2 biggest offseason deals, Sale and Giolito, almost destroyed this 2024 Sox team by giving away a great starter and bringing in a useless one to the tune of $55M. In Breslow's defense, he insisted on a new pitching coach, Bailey, who has transformed the Sox pitching staff, which is still better than the overpaid 2018 and 2019 staffs.
  23. Well said on all those posts. On last night's game thread I said-- 1. I over-reacted to the 4 losses--no surprise. 2. The Sox are definitely in the wild card hunt. 3. The Sox hitting--total runs scored--is now 9th in MLB, best it's been all season. 4. The team ERA, 3.71, is right now 6th in MLB. Before last night it was 10th. How is that possible? Right now 7 MLB teams--Cleveland, Boston, Baltimore, Cubs, Dodgers, Royals, and Brewers--have team ERA's ranging from 3.69 to 3.76.
×
×
  • Create New...