Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

moonslav59

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    104,020
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    129

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by moonslav59

  1. Agreed. There should be no pressure applied, but he should know that we'd welcome him back, if he chooses to return.
  2. I don't think it was a "win a championship now" mandate. It was more like, get us out of last place and set us up for a big splash pitcher signing the following winter that will get us over the top mandate.
  3. The Nationals were outbid by the Red Sox in their attempt to acquire Chris Sale, but that wasn’t for lack of trying, as Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post (Twitter links). Remarkably, the Nationals were willing to deal outfielder Victor Robles and both their top young starting pitching prospects, Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez, for Sale. But the White Sox instead opted for the Red Sox’ incredible offer, topped by Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech. Robles, Giolito and Lopez are the Nationals’ top three prospects, according to MLB.com. All three of them rank among the top 40 in baseball and Robles and Giolito rank among the top ten. Robles has earned praise as a five-tool talent with good hitting ability and exceptional speed. Both Giolito and Lopez could make an immediate impact in a big-league rotation, and all three players have enormous upside once they reach the big leagues for good. That the White Sox were able to get one offer this good is incredible in its own right; that they had to leave it on the table because they found one they liked better is even more so. -MLBTR
  4. Today’s acquisition of Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers will end Boston’s foray into the relief market for the winter, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski told reporters (including Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe). Most notably, this would seem to end any chance of the Sox re-signing Koji Uehara or Brad Ziegler. -MLBTR
  5. On International signings: The details of the new bonus pool system for the 2017-18 July 2 class of international prospects has been reported by Baseball America’s Ben Badler, who provides a recap of how the July 2 market has been altered under the new collective bargaining agreement. All teams have been assigned bonus pools of either $5.75MM, $5.25MM or $4.75MM, based on their revenues and market size.
  6. What if someone gets hurt mid season, and Papi is bored out of his mind?
  7. Would anyone have added Swihart and Travis to the Sale package to get Quintana and his extra year of control instead?
  8. ...and with Davis coming off an injury season that saw him go from a 0.847 WHIP in 2014, a 0.787 WHIP in 2015 to a 1.131 WHIP this year. He's 31 and has one year left at $10M-- more than Sale's luxury tax cost!
  9. It almost happened earlier in Red Sox history: One of MLB's worst teams for 5 years (1962-1966)- then one win from a ring, then back to mediocrity 7 years (only reaching 89 wins once) befor another near miss in 1975 followed by 83 wins in 1976. We kinda sucked around the near miss 1986 season as well.
  10. That would not be Benny Boy, who prefers to hoard prospects. I seriously doubt Ben would have unloaded all but 3 good prospects, but I think he would have traded a few and signed a big FA pitcher last year.
  11. So what? Trade Devers, ERod, Pomeranz, Travis and Owens for Quintana?
  12. Jorge Soler for Wade Davis! Wow!
  13. White Sox Talking Jose Quintana Trades With Astros, Nationals, Other Teams Told you guys!
  14. Their current odds are 3:1, and although that seems great, there's still a 67% chance they don't repeat. The Sox odds went from 10:1 to 5:1 yesterday.
  15. Depends if going over the luxury limit matters.
  16. I'm pretty sure most teams carry 12 pitchers during the season not 13. Maybe even more carry 11 than 13 for the playoffs, but I'm not sure about that.
  17. That's a good question. Pablo is one of baseball's worst hitters vs lefties. Holt and Hernandez both bat LH'd. We do have a few things working in our favor: 1) We only faced a LH'd starter 23% of the time this year. Maybe that happens again next year. (Just 37 games for a platoon are needed.) 2) Holt has a better OPS vs LHPs (.709) than RHPs (.704), and while it's not great by any means, it's way better than Pablo's the last 3 years combined (.651). 3) While Hernadez only has 9 PAs vs LHPs in MLB career (1.055 OPS), he hit lefties at .328 in AAA this year (.736 OPS) and .315 in 2017 (.710 OPS) both better than vs RHPs! (He had a .731 OPS vs LHPs in AA last year (.315 BA).
  18. I think Hernandez could surprise some people at 3B next year. Devers took a huge step forward on defense this year, so maybe he could be ready earlier than we hope.
  19. Scary. We also have Hernandez and maybe Devers by 2018.
  20. I've never seen a Sox team so set-up and locked in with virtually every major player for 2 or more years AND the vast majority with all or most contract years within prime years! We only lose Buch and Young next winter. Losing Kimbrel after 2018 could hurt. Also losing Kelly, Pomeranz and Ross should be substantial. HanRam has a vesting option as well, but man-O-man, we are set up nicely for a 2-3 year window.
  21. I'm not sure about the lost revenue sharing aspect, but you are right, if we only go over by $2-8M a year, then a 20% or 50% tax is not much of a difference.
  22. But it's going to be that way whether we made these trades this year or not. At some point a few years down the road our core of players is going to become eligible for free agency. I have no problem with trading the players behind them in the depth chart to win now because the same issues are going to exist in 3-4 years regardless of what we do today. The argument is that 3-4 years from now we would have had Dubon to replace Bogey, Moncada to replace Sandy or JBJ, Kopech to replace Porcello, Espi to replace Pomeranz, etc... It's hard to imagine us, in this new structure of the draft and Int/l signings to replenish the farm like Ben did, so that in 3-4 years, we can either replace the next set of stars or trade the prospects for established stars..
  23. You make a strong case. If we keep winning more and more, our picks get lower and our spending allotment gets smaller. We've gone from having 10-12 very promising prospects to 3: Beni, Devers & Groome, and since Beni is slated to start LF next year, one could view it as having only 2 very promising prospects. Maybe someone from the lower ranks jumps ahead this year, and it's good that our two highest need areas 2-3 years from now are 3B and pitching, so having Devers and Groome left over looks well planned out, but you are right. It will be very hard to find and acquire the next Moncada, Kopech, Margot, Espi, and maybe even Basabe and Dubon.
  24. You mean Thornburg.
  25. Our pitching staff had the highest second half WAR this year, and our starters had the best AL ERA in the second half of this year- that was without Wright and Sale!
×
×
  • Create New...