Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Think of me as John Henry so I can tell you that spending big--in dollars or prospects--on pitchers is stupid. Right now the Sox rotation--Bello, Pivetta, Crawford, Whitlock (on the IL, maybe for the season), Houck, and now Criswell--is the primary reason why the Sox team ERA, 2.95, is just a tad behind the Yankees 2.92 for the best team ERA in MLB. And the Sox are paying those six starters a total of $15M this season, $1M less than Kenley Jansen, the closer who these days basically gets by with one pitch, a cutter. Last night he threw 11 pitches, including 10 cutters and 1 slider--and he got the save (with no runs scored), but the Rays hit the ball hard.
  2. No, I don't "trust" Story, who is probably another Ellsbury, especially the one who signed that insane 7 year contract with the Yankees. But right now Story is ours, and it's possible, if unlikely, he will not only stay healthy next season, but also--and this really will be a shock--show he can hit the dadgum ball. This year he's out, so all those other wannabes get their shot. And they will get more shots next year and/or the year after.
  3. True. But Sale was really good when he was good. And we saw that in 2017 and 2018--at least, before August. He was especially lousy in the postseason. Plus the elbow thing was kind of inevitable for Sale. The bike, I agree, no excuse, but I've ridden bikes competitively, in traffic and in the country, up and down steep hills, etc, and never had a freak injury like his. Plus we have yet to see a Story that can hit, which means he's just a good glove, which are a dime a dozen. Plus his injuries suggest he is injury-prone. Back in April all he did was dive for a ball, which infielders are expected to do all the freaking time, but this time he's gone for a whole season or more. I think he's another Ellsbury.
  4. It's a sign of age when you beat things to death, so you're right. I do think the pitching has been miraculously good, but I also think the hitting can and must improve if the Sox are going to the postseason. Right now I'm definitely on uppers (caffeine, blueberry pancakes, and acetaminophen) and therefore believe the last 3 games, all wins, all with the Sox scoring 5 or more runs, are a harbinger of what could in fact happen. That can change, of course, if tomorrow night Devers makes a key error--in which case he will again be the worst superstar in the history of the universe--and the Sox lose, say, 3 to freaking 1. Reacting is not enough. Over-reacting is the only way a real fan should conduct himself.
  5. I don't know his stuff that well, so you could well be right.
  6. Actually, right now he's playing good all-around baseball. He singled and scored the Sox first (and crucial) run in the 2d inning. He was the lead guy in the double steal in the 8th. He made an excellent throw from foul territory to 2d base for an out in the 6th. Either last night or Sunday night Wong caught a rebound (off the backstop) after a wild pitch and threw a one-hopper to Devers, who caught it and tagged the runner out.
  7. Could be. I believe it is also true that Cora was told to fire last year's pitching coach.
  8. Are those guys terminally stupid?
  9. Another great win for the superb pitching staff, especially Criswell, who overcame those 2 runs in the 1st when the Rays hit him hard.
  10. He stopped. Also, the SS caught the throw inside the basepath pursuant to throwing back to home. Tagging Devers was going to be tricky.
  11. I went to the local law school library not long ago and looked up solo dingers. They are not a criminal offense--at least not here in North Carolina. How about in Tampa? When you get 5 runs with just 7 hits, solo shots are actually OK.
  12. Call me crazy, but I dread bringing Jansen in to close the 9th. He over-relies on that cutter and gave up 2 runs his last time out 5 days ago.
  13. Jacoby was better at a young age. Took 2 bases on a passed ball. Stole home. Took so-so routes to the ball. Had no arm. Had a career year in 2011, including over 30 dingers. His WAR that year was 8.0, which later caused the Yankees to sign him to a ridiculous contract in 2013 after they didn't re-sign Robinson Cano.
  14. I keep reading these long speeches about what a great 8th inning guy Whitlock is. I'd rather use Martin. Great play by Martin on the groundout.
  15. Double steal for the 2d run!!!!!
  16. This time a no-brainer to walk Devers.
  17. Dumb play by Abreu not to slide and thus overran 2b.
  18. We had to write a theme a week in senior English (high school), and one of mine was on your namesake. Title was, "My Middle Name." I did make a big deal about serving in both wars even though he never went overseas in WW II. I did not realize how smart he was. He was talented--great reflexes and eyesight--but he was also a real student of hitting. Sox up 3-2 on a timely rally by the new guys--Rafaela, Duran, and Abreu.
  19. Meh. I think the pitching this year is huge, but I do not believe the Sox can make the postseason without some hitting, by which I mean better than we've seen. And you just might be the guy who turned that spigot on. Last night's pitching was terrific, but so were those 5 runs. Ditto tonight--great pitching and two crucial runs driven in. And now we need at least one more run.
  20. Great single and rbi by Grissom in the 1st, followed by two K's in the 5th and 7th. Score still tied, 2-2. DH O'Neill is 0/3 with 2 K's.
  21. That OP on that thread was just silly. Any player is tradeable, of course, but right now Duran ain't that guy. This is one heckuva game. Criswell was horrible in the 1st, but bounced back beautifully and finished with 5.1 innings and 2 ER's. As for the solo dinger, I love it when it ties the game at 2-2 when the Sox have a grand total of just 3 hits. Huge hit by Duran. Huge. Gonzalez hits for Smith because Cora has been doing that a lot just to get the slight advantage of righty bat vs lefty pitcher (or vice versa) to get some much needed hitting. Time to mention CERA again. Credit to Criswell for bouncing back after the 1st inning, but I think McGuire helped. Don't ask me how he helped because I don't know. And, remember, I like Wong a lot more than McGuire. Whoops. Lefty vs lefty, McGuire singles in the 7th with 2 out.
  22. Grissom 4 for 4. More likely than the Sox winning 20 straight, but not by much.
×
×
  • Create New...