Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox INTL signings

Re: Sox INTL signings

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxnation07;272534;
    Melkman is more like his name implies, short and doughy.
    hence why I was perplexed by the comparison and when I saw the pics of the guy. They have ZERO similarities.

And the Braves have signed Teheran
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

Major Leaguer

Jackson; I haven't seen De leon play, but my sources aren't BA and they also compare De Leon to Melky Cabrera and have questions about his bat.

Major Leaguer

According to Braves sources the Atlanta Braves has signed Colombian RHP Julio Teheran.

.. Braves signed Julio Tehran(Official) ..

>http://braves.scout.com/2/656167.html

Quote Originally Posted by scaffolds;272541;
    Jackson; I haven't seen De leon play, but my sources aren't BA and they also compare De Leon to Melky Cabrera and have questions about his bat.
    .. Get him Scaff !! .. :lol: ..

Major Leaguer

Signing 16 yrs pitchers is very risky because of the injury factor and signing them at a high price is a very bad business that's why those big bonus at this time are for position players.

Major Leaguer

Its official the Red Sox signed Dominican shortstop Michael Almanzar Monday night the first day that 16 yrs International prospects could sign a pro contract. Almanza signed for 1.5 million bonus in addition another 1.5 million would be pro rated. Almanzar who is listed as 6'5" projects as a third baseman and would stay at the Sox Dominican academy in El Toro until intructional league opens in September, will come to spring traning in February and will play in the GCL in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by scaffolds;272541;
    The questions most people have with the bat is that he is a total projection sign. He is a big boy at 16 and has shown flashes of the power in the workouts, but is very far from his ceiling, making its reachability come into question. Hence why I say that his power projection is very high. His likelihood of reaching it may not be.

Major Leaguer

Michael Almanzar is the son of RHP Carlos Almanzar whom the Sox signed in April and has been in rehab from TJ surgery at the Sox minor league camp in FT Myers.

A few more names that BA haven't talk about but that will be signed in this International signing period. All of them are Dominicans

Daury De la Cruz RHP 6-2 170 FB at 89
    Miguel Ferrer RHP 6-2 175 FB at 90
    Edward Salcedo SS 6-3 190 R/R 6.8/ speed
    Carlos Mercedes OF 6-2 180 R/R Average runner

Fenway Resident

Related news... the Sox have announced they have formed a strategic alliance with the Chiba Lotte Marines of Japan, that is also managed by Bobby Valentine
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Major Leaguer

More than likely Almanzar will be among the top 10 Red Sox minor league prospects at the end of the season with a chance to be even in the top 5.

I trust your judgement scaff, but how on earth can you say that a 16 year old boy will be in the top 10 of a vastly improved (probably top 10 in the league) farm system? I too love his power potential, but I just can't imagine a 16 year old at the top of a solid farm system. I know Angel Villalona went to the very top of the Giants farm system when he signed, but that is one of the worst systems in the league.

Major Leaguer

I do agree that the Sox system has been much improved over the last couple years and deeper, however a prospect list isn't a list of players who may be closer to the Ml, but talent, tools and projection. If you look at the Sox system after Ellsbury, Buchholz, Bowden and Anderson there's a big drop off, there's not one in the system with Almanzar tools, which includes his power projection, like i said earlier he projects as a third baseman and the tool harder for a scout to find is a power right hander hitter who plays a corner position.

Double A

If you look at the Sox system after Ellsbury, Buchholz, Bowden and Anderson there's a big drop off, there's not one in the system with Almanzar tools
    I have never seen Almanzar, but I completely agree that there is a "Big Four" and a step down to the next group of prospects.