Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Note for the Pedro Haters

Re: Note for the Pedro Haters

Dude. Pedro missed last yrs playoffs. How great would it have been for him to miss the last half of the yr just when you needed him. And guess what, with or without Pedro last yr, your team was toast.

Now, he is missing the ENTIRE season. And rotator cuff surgery is the kind of surgery that is a deathknell of many a pitching career. Imagine having passed on Beckett because you didnt want to spend the coin that Pedro was making. IE, Gabbard making those 10 starts and being under .500 or Beckett making those 10 starts and the sox winning 9 of them. Having Pedro this yr would have you barely above us, and likely on the way down.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Theo;262997;
    example1, if pedro comes back and kicks ass, like i think he will, then will you make excuses for the blunder, or will you call it the right move because matt clement is better?

and you are not "coming to terms with a major mistake" you are hating. you are hating on pedro, you are rooting for him to not return, because you want Theo to be viewed as a correct in a move that already cost us one season in 2005, and could hurt us this post season.

YOU ARE A PEDRO HATING THEO LOVER!!
    You would have Johnny Pesky still playing if you were GM. He was once a Red Sox great. If not then I suppose you are simply a Pesky hater.

I do like Theo. You're right. I like the direction he has taken this team. They have a world series. They have repeatedly shown the ability and willingness to go out and get the pieces they need to be successful. they have shown the ability to locate players of value from the millions of players out there (Buchholz, Bowden, Ellsbury, Matsuzaka, pedroia, Youkilis, etc.,).

But my respect for him comes nowhere close to my respect for Pedro, who was my hero for his entire time in a Sox uniform, from the time he joined--when you were still sucking at your mom's teet--to the time he retired (as a tired, arm injured pitcher who had lost 8mph on his FB).

If he comes back and does well I will do... nothing. I expect him to come back and be a useful pitcher. I just don't expect the Sox to pay every player who has ever contributed to them winning whatever they ask for when there are other options available. Was Clement the replacement for Pedro? I didn't think he was. He was a pitcher the Sox picked up, but you can't show me a single quote where the Sox said "Pedro has been replaced by matt clement".

In fact, you clearly don't know anything about this team. You didn't read Feeding the Monster, where Seth Mnookin talks about the difficult discussions between the Front Office members about how hard the 05 and 06 seasons would be while 'retooling'.

You didn't think about the fact that the Sox had a limited window to draft players if they let these overpaid FA's go. You didn't think about the fact that Pedro's shoulder is completely messed up, just like it should be for a guy who is 5'10, 185 who routinely hit 97mph in his prime at a 3/4 arm angle. Instead you bring your stupid black/white thinking to assume that everyone who thinks players get old and less useful is a 'hater' of some sort, as if you're a socially challenged middle school girl.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;263001;
    Dude. Pedro missed last yrs playoffs. How great would it have been for him to miss the last half of the yr just when you needed him. And guess what, with or without Pedro last yr, your team was toast.

Now, he is missing the ENTIRE season. And rotator cuff surgery is the kind of surgery that is a deathknell of many a pitching career. Imagine having passed on Beckett because you didnt want to spend the coin that Pedro was making. IE, Gabbard making those 10 starts and being under .500 or Beckett making those 10 starts and the sox winning 9 of them. Having Pedro this yr would have you barely above us, and likely on the way down.
    1. We spent Pedro's coin on Clement. We could have still had Beckett with Pedro.

2. Our team was toast with or without Pedro last fall, so who cares that he got hurt.

But 2005, that move cost us BIG TIME.

And this post season, Pedro could be HUGE.

You're a MF Yankees fan, of course you hate Pedro.

A number of people talk about Pedro's run from 1998 to 200 as the greatest three seasons in a row by a pitcher in the history of the game. I have no argument with that. Although Pedro never performed to that level before or after that period, his career dominance needs to be viewed beyond those three years. If you look at every important career statistic for pitchers--- WHIP, Hits/9, k's/9, k's to BB ratio, league adjusted ERA, winning %-- he is the only pitcher that is in the top three in all of those career categories. IMO there is a strong opinion that he has had the most dominant career of any pitcher in history.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

theo said specifically that letting pedro go enabled him to upgrade at SS and to buy matt clement. that is how he spent Pedro's money. it was in a MSNBC article that isn't archived. go ahead and call me a liar to defend your blunder boy, but he said that.

and $13 mill isn't whatever he wanted, that's dirt cheap for a player like Pedro. If we have $9 mill for your butt budy Clement, then $13 mill for Pedro is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Theo;263006;
    1. We spent Pedro's coin on Clement. We could have still had Beckett with Pedro.

2. Our team was toast with or without Pedro last fall, so who cares that he got hurt.

You have a point on 2005. If you had Pedro, you win the division, get the angels and likely get to the ALCS only to be splattered by the White Sox en route to their WS victory. You want to prolong the pain?

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Theo;263006;

Perhaps we spent Lowe's money on clement? How can you prove we didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper;263000;
    YOU ARE NUTS! HAVE YOU NOT OPENED YOUR EYES TO WHAT I'VE SAID.

I LIKE PEDRO. I WISH he was still with Boston.

I DO NOT care for Clement.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND ANY OF THAT?!

Then how come you keep defendig Theo and saying that trying to win a World Series with Matt Clement was a good move?

and how can you defend Theo still having a job after that blunder?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Theo;263008;
    theo said specifically that letting pedro go enabled him to upgrade at SS and to buy matt clement. that is how he spent Pedro's money. it was in a MSNBC article that isn't archived. go ahead and call me a liar to defend your blunder boy, but he said that.

and $13 mill isn't whatever he wanted, that's dirt cheap for a player like Pedro. If we have $9 mill for your butt budy Clement, then $13 mill for Pedro is cheap.
    He would have gotten more use out of that money if he used it for kindling.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Ok. So lets get this straight....

You arent all that upset at losing Pedro seeing as he is being paid for 4 yrs for 1 yr of production. BUT, you ARE pissed that the guy they replaced him with was Matt Clement.

Quote Originally Posted by example1;263010;
    Perhaps we spent Lowe's money on clement? How can you prove we didn't?
    Theo said that kicking Pedro off the team enabled him to get clement and upgrade at SS.

still, we are paying similar money for Clement, so anything we have done with Clement could have been done with Pedro. people who say that we got to sign JD Drew because we don't have pedro are just making excuses for Blunder Boy.

I dont think anyone is saying the acquisition of Clement was a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;263013;
    Ok. So lets get this straight....

You arent all that upset at losing Pedro seeing as he is being paid for 4 yrs for 1 yr of production. BUT, you ARE pissed that the guy they replaced him with was Matt Clement.
    No, I'm pissed that we lost Pedro for 2005, the 2007 post season, and 2008 season. I don't really care too much about his allstar 2006 season, but the 2005, 2007 and 2008 seasons really piss me off.

I'm also pissed that so many Sox fans think it was a good move to kick him off the team because Matt clement is better. Makes me puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Theo;263017;
    No, I'm pissed that we lost Pedro for 2005, the 2007 post season, and 2008 season. I don't really care too much about his allstar 2006 season, but the 2005, 2007 and 2008 seasons really piss me off.

I'm also pissed that so many Sox fans think it was a good move to kick him off the team because Matt clement is better. Makes me puke.
    So you are banking on a man who has had rotator cuff surgery less than a yr ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;263016;
    I dont think anyone is saying the acquisition of Clement was a good move.
    How can you say that kicking pedro off the team was a good move without touching on Clement.

You can't claim that passing on option A (pedro) was a good move without evaluating option B (clement).

any person who thinks kicking Pedro off the team was a good move is inherently defending the Clement move. You cannot separate the two.