Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Yanks looking at Loretta to play 1st??

Yanks looking at Loretta to play 1st??

ESPN's Buster Olney says the Yankees have been in contact with Mark Loretta about their opening at first base.

Loretta's finished with OPSs of 707 and 706 the last two years, so he looks like he'd be an incredibly weak option as a regular first baseman, though the insurance he'd provide at second base would be nice. The Yankees will probably end up with Doug Mientkiewicz or Shea Hillenbrand.
    Both Doug Mientkiewicz and Shea Hillenbrand would be MUCH better options

Re: Yanks looking at Loretta to play 1st??

I saw this and laughed. Loretta at 1st would solve the fielding problem, but then it would open up the whole, why the hell do we have such a short 1b problem. He might set a record for lowest OPS by a starting Yankee 1b.

All 3 arent very good options IMO.
    Gabe Kapler is full of heart and determination:
    http://nomaas.org/images/kaplerftl.gif
    :lol:

Major Leaguer

I would love this. Love it. A .361 SLG from their 1B? That my friends, is a black hole.

Yanks are now closing in on Doug Minkiewicz (sp) to play first, and Loretta to be the utility infielder:

A source said the Yankees are zeroing in on Doug Mientkiewicz to play first while Jason Giambi is the designated hitter, even though Mientkiewicz is a lefthanded batter.

Also, the source said, Mark Loretta may be the Yankees' first choice to be a utility infielder. Loretta had hoped to find a job as a regular second baseman, but hasn't.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-407473c.html

Loretta as a utility infielder would be absolutely money. Mientkiewicz as a 1b will at least lengthen the lineup enough to work the count. At the very least Monkey bitch gets on base, plays fantastic D, and isnt god awful slow, which is all we need.