Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2007 baseball draft

Major Leaguer

Re: The 2007 baseball draft

Scaffolds, have you heard of Cory Ege of Iowa. He lives near me and he is a very good pitcher. I don't know if he has any Big league Potential but i thought it would be cool if a guy i knew did.
    DeadHead

How you doin'? -Jerry Remy

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDonut;223785;
    Scaffolds, have you heard of Cory Ege of Iowa. He lives near me and he is a very good pitcher. I don't know if he has any Big league Potential but i thought it would be cool if a guy i knew did.
    Evil; I haven't heard that name, is he a high school player? If he is a highschool player outside of the Southeast i won't know about him unless he has been to prospects tournaments.

PS I assumed that you did get my PM back to you?

Any players out of the Sarasota/Manatee area this year? After watching Riverview lose to Braden River 2-0 (Riverview, POP: 3,000, Braden River, POP: 400) I knew that this area probably had zero chances of getting anyone to the next level. Anyway, have you heard of these players, at all?

Dane Derstine, C
    Justin Meek, P
    Conner McPherson, 1B

Major Leaguer

Crespo;The Sarasota-Tampa area has always been a great area for prospects. I am not very familiar with those players, but its way early in the scouting season. I am naming a few prospects in that area, you may have heard them.

Michael Burguess OF Hillsborough H.S.- Tampa
    Nevin Griffith RHP Middleton H.S.-Brandon
    Tommy Toledo RHP Alonzo H.S.-Tampa
    Kevin Quackenbush RHP Tampa Jesuit H.S.
    Hunter Oven OF Cardinal Mooney H.S.- Bradenton
    Evan Stobb-Bulteman 1B/3B Sarasota
    Todd Brazeal 3B/RHP Tampa Chambaerlain H.S.
    Joseph Terdoslavich 3b/C Sarasota

Those are the top players in the area coming into the baseball season.

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by scaffolds;223789;
    Evil; I haven't heard that name, is he a high school player? If he is a highschool player outside of the Southeast i won't know about him unless he has been to prospects tournaments.

PS I assumed that you did get my PM back to you?
    Yeah, i got it, impressive.

But yeah he is a High School player. I dont think hes been to any prospect tournaments, but i'm pretty sure he made it pretty far in a White Sox training camp or something along those lines.
    DeadHead

How you doin'? -Jerry Remy

Tough loss for the Gators as they lose to veritable powerhouse VMI.

Chomp chomp.

Major Leaguer

According to the scouting bureau the state that keeps producing the most and best H.S. pitching talent its Texas and 2007 is another prove of it.

Major Leaguer

The talk coming into the 2007 H.S. baseball season was that the top H.S. LHP abailable for this June's draft was from a group that consisted Mass;s Jack McGeary, Georgia's John Smoker or Nathan Vinyard, Texas's Brake Britton and Uthat's Tanner Robles. Having seem all of them in the 2006 Summer/Fall or early in the 2007 season the best isn't any from this group, but it is North Carolina's Madison Bumgarmer. Bumgarmer is 6-5 220 and has a fastball consistent at 95 with an advanced command, while his off speed pitches aren't as advanced they have improved from last year, at this point Bumgarmer should be off the draft's board before half way threw the first round with a possibility to be taken among the first 10 picks.

Major Leaguer

The H.S. pitching for the 2007 draft is strong and deep, but how deep it will be ,it will depend in injuries like any other years, For now the only one that has been reported is the one of Northern California's Erik Goeddel who has a partial torn ligament in his right elbow, it isn't know yet if he will need a T/J surgery but for sure it will affect his draft status. Goeddel is the best pitching prospect in his area and one of the better H.S. pitching prospect in the country.

Major Leaguer

Coming in into the 2007 minor league season it looks like that third base might be the Red Sox weakest position when it comes to prospects, if the Sox will be looking for a third baseman in the June's draft a couple of names that are very interesting and not well known to the public unless some one is a scout or a deep scouting or draft follower are Sacramento State David Flores or Rice's J.P. Padron, neither one is a top two rounds picks but would be very good picks for the fourth or fifth round, both players have very good offense tools and potentially defense.

Major Leaguer

I posted earlier that as usual the depth and quality of middle infielders from the college ranks wasn't a strong one, however the prospects from H.S. who projects as a middle infielders isn't a bad one, specially when to keep in mind that usually a H.S. baseball team best athlete is a middle infielder or a short stop, but a lot those of H.S. short stops may outgrow the position or may project in another position as a pro, having said that below is a list of the top 10 H.S. who as a pro prosject as a middle infielders, a key element he re is the strong blood lines.

1- Justin Jackson Roberson H.S. Ashville N.C.
    2- Ryan Dent Wilson H.S. Los Angeles California
    3- Nick Noonan Parker H.S. San Diego California
    4- Chrisitian Colon Canyon H.S. Anahein California
    5- Peter Kozma Owasso H.S. Oklahoma
    6- John Tolisano Estero H.S. Florida
    7- Drew Cumberland Pace H.S. Florida
    8- Kevin Ahrens Memorial-Springs branch H.S Houston Texas
    9- Carmen Angelini Barbe H.S. Lake Charles louisiana
    9- Ryan Acosta Clearwater Central Catholic H.S. Clearwater, Florida

There's a few younger kids who will probably be popping up on the radar shortly.

CF Ryan (Scooter) Gennett, Sophomore
    SS Casey Kelly, Junior

I think you might have heard of the latter, but he'll probably wind up with a football scholarship.

Major Leaguer

Talking about third base prospects, but this time from the H.S. ranks the list below are the top prospects for the position as they project.

1- Matt Dominguez Chatsworth H.S. Van Nuys, California
    2- Josh Vitters Cypress H.S. Anaheim, California
    3- Victor Sanchez Gahr H.S. Norwalk, California
    4- Derek Dietrich St Ignatitus H.S. Parma Ohio
    5- Jon Gilmore Iowa City H.S. Iowa City, Iowa
    6- Travis Mattair Southridge H.S. Kennewick, Washington
    7- D.J. LeMahleu Brother Rice H.S. Bloomfield Hills Michigan
    8- Jake Smolinski Boylan Catholic H.S. Rockford, Illinois
    9- Ryan Mattews Orlando Boone H.S. Orlando, Fla
    9- Johnathan Kaskow Coppell H.S. Coppell Texas

This is my rifle....

My brother just started his freshman year in HS here in FL, and I'm seriously disappointed at the level of specialization they are putting these kids through. He plays in Merritt Island, and never plays the field or hits because he's a pitcher. He's got a good stroke and plays the field well, better than a couple of the position players on the team, but he's a good pitcher, so that's all his coaches will let him do. At 15 yrs old, he should be playing both ways and not getting stuck in a specific role.

He pitched the first game of the season and went 5 IP, 8 K, 2 BB, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER for the JV squad (no freshman on the varsity team at this school).

I guess that is one of the downsides to playing in a baseball factory like florida. Sounds like he throws the ball pretty well though. Nice line to start his HS career, huh.