Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Justin Masterson

Super Moderator

Re: Justin Masterson

Masterson is an elite pitching prospect already? Dye makes us world series favorites. Prospects are questions; banners are there forever. Now, there are some prospects that I wouldn't trade, but Masterson is probably 4-ish years away from being a major league pitcher. He may not even have a spot in the starting rotation when he's ready. If you can trade Masterson and get a world series in return (or a very good shot at one), it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by UC9904;285130;
    Cut the crap. Masterson is an elite pitching prospect regardless of the fact that he has had TWO--yes, I know two poor performances in a row is unheard of for a prospect--poor starts in a row. Giving up a talent such as Masterson should not be done for a rental...especially since one of Hansen or Delcarmen reportedly would have had to have been involved in the deal as well.

Oh, and I'm guessing there's a decent chance that an injury had something to do with it.
    not even close. Masterson is a mid level prospect to start with who started to climb to the upper part of that mid level until he got the shit kicked out of him. He isnt even close to being an elite prospect. Not even close. Elite to me is top 10 in the entire game, and I dont think you will find too many people who'd have him in the top 50 of all pitching prospects.

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;285192;
    not even close. Masterson is a mid level prospect to start with who started to climb to the upper part of that mid level until he got the shit kicked out of him. He isnt even close to being an elite prospect. Not even close. Elite to me is top 10 in the entire game, and I dont think you will find too many people who'd have him in the top 50 of all pitching prospects.
    He is by no means elite, but I would be very suprised to not see him in the Top 50.

Double A

I'm not saying he's an elite pitching prospect in all of baseball (ala Buchholz), but he's certainly one of the elite pitching prospects in the Red Sox system. I was all for making the trade to acquire Jermaine Dye (moreso than Gagne), but it just wasn't worth it at the price of TWO of Masterson, Delcarmen, and Hasen. It's just my opinion, but I have a hard time giving up multiple good young arms for a rental unless the team is absolutely desperate in that area (ex: if there was an injury).

And how is Masterson 4 years away? Do your homework buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by UC9904;285300;
    I'm not saying he's an elite pitching prospect in all of baseball (ala Buchholz), but he's certainly one of the elite pitching prospects in the Red Sox system. I was all for making the trade to acquire Jermaine Dye (moreso than Gagne), but it just wasn't worth it at the price of TWO of Masterson, Delcarmen, and Hasen. It's just my opinion, but I have a hard time giving up multiple good young arms for a rental unless the team is absolutely desperate in that area (ex: if there was an injury).

He's probably thinking that Masterson will take a little longer to adjust. I personally do not view him as a starter, but more of an elite setup pitcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by UC9904;285300;

It was 2 of Delcarmen, Masterson, and Hansen? I thought it was Masterson + WMP, but I'll check that.

Like Crespo said, I see him more of a late-inning reliever (like a set-up guy) because of the lack of space in the future rotation. With the young arms we already have that project to occupy slots in the rotation in the next 3 years, I don't see Masterson holding one of them. You can also be sure that the Sox will try to sign at least one big-name FA pitcher in that time frame. So, Masterson may be ready sooner than 4 years from now, but I don't see him having a spot on this team until then.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by schillingouttheks;285319;
    It was 2 of Delcarmen, Masterson, and Hansen? I thought it was Masterson + WMP, but I'll check that.
    yea, it was 2 of those 3. they didnt have any interest in Pena

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox21;285323;
    yea, it was 2 of those 3. they didnt have any interest in Pena
    Well then, I was way off. My bad.

This is my rifle....

The Master....

quite the start today for Masterson: 5 IP, 4 hits, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 K

On the season now: 19.0 IP, 14 hits, 2 ER (0.95 ERA), 5 BB, 23 K
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

lets just say, theoretically that MDC reverts to being a hit or miss kind of guy and Timlin gets DFA'd. Do you think Masterson is a potential candidate for middle inning duty near the end of the season? I think he'd be quite potent there.

You do know that if the Twins dealt with the sox for Johan that Masterson would have been the heir apparent to Nathan and he'd have been on the block.
    Hal sucks

This is my rifle....

Hansen should get an opportunity to help the MRP corps before they mess with Masterson's development as a starter. They've ditched the attempts to clean up Hansen's mechanics and are letting him do what he was doing at St John's. The slider is reportedly back, as is the sink on his FB. The results in Pawtuckett look promising.

Why are we supposed to care about what the Twins would have done?

EDIT: As for the end of the season, I can certainly see them topping off his innings for the season in the Boston BP when the rosters expand.

Double A

They've ditched the attempts to clean up Hansen's mechanics and are letting him do what he was doing at St John's.
    The rumor was that Scott Boras's "pitching experts" tinkered with Hansen's mechanics, not the Boston pitching coaches.

This is my rifle....

I recall reading that. As you said, it was the "rumor". Whoever initiated it is of little concern to me. What's important is that he's elected to return to what works.