Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 90 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: The No-No Thread

Legend

Re: The No-No Thread

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;554945;
    Not even slightly.
    Why? The Tigers still won the game. The Twins took a loss because of their blown call.

In the words of Herm Edwards, you play to win the game.
    ""There are no asterisks in this life, only scoreboards... and ours is currently reading 'fucked'." -- Ari Gold, Entourage

Quote Originally Posted by See Red;554946;
    Why? The Tigers still won the game. The Twins took a loss because of their blown call.

In the words of Herm Edwards, you play to win the game.

First of all, I think that's the worst quote in sports, but beyond that, this is history that we're dealing with. The likelihood of the one game having an effect on the playoffs of a 162 game season this year is minor, and even then, it feebles in comparison to something as historic as a perfect game.

In all fairness, I think that the other call should be overturned as well, and that replay should have been used in the Min/Sea game as well. I'm just saying that the perfect game is BY FAR more important than the Min/Sea game.

I only have so much care in me, and right now it's going to the perfect game, my girlfriend, a case of Sam Adam's Summer Ale, and MLB 2010 the show.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;554947;
    First of all, I think that's the worst quote in sports, but beyond that, this is history that we're dealing with. The likelihood of the one game having an effect on the playoffs of a 162 game season this year is minor, and even then, it feebles in comparison to something as historic as a perfect game.

In all fairness, I think that the other call should be overturned as well, and that replay should have been used in the Min/Sea game as well. I'm just saying that the perfect game is BY FAR more important than the Min/Sea game.

I only have so much care in me, and right now it's going to the perfect game, my girlfriend, a case of Sam Adam's Summer Ale, and MLB 2010 the show.
    How have the Twins' last two regular seasons ended?

Hint: They played 163 games.
    ""There are no asterisks in this life, only scoreboards... and ours is currently reading 'fucked'." -- Ari Gold, Entourage

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;554947;

Which Dipre will kick your ass in soon enough and you will lose most of your care for it.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by See Red;554948;
    How have the Twins' last two regular seasons ended?

Hint: They played 163 games.

That doesn't change anything, a perfect game is more important to me than one team's season. Either way, I believe in accuracy in both cases. I'm just saying that with the perfect game drama, I couldn't care less about the Min/Sea game.

Besides, if Minnesota was a legitamite title contender in either season, your point would have slightly more poignancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;554949;
    Which Dipre will kick your ass in soon enough and you will lose most of your care for it.

I hate online play. I'd rather play in person, and even then, I'm a nasty competitor. I should have a sign that says "Doesn't play well with others". You'd probably win, but I'm a sore loser, so I'd probably break a lot of stuff. I just really hate losing.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by See Red;554944;
    I gave you two. The Twins/Mariners game, which happened the next day and that Cardinals/Royals World Series from way back when.

Instant replay is terrible in the NFL because if the referees blow three calls, and you challenge the first two, win, and then get that third challenge, then your still fucked on the fourth blown call. It's also terrible because it slows the game down and they still get calls wrong, even with the replay. Don't you ever sit there while you're watching seventeen replays of a play to determine whether or not a guys knee was one half an inch off of the ground before the ball popped loose or whether there was a single blade of green grass in between a guys toes and the sideline and say to yourself "what's the fucking point?"

By the way, doesn't the fact that the whole god damn country is up in arms over a blown call that cost a guy a perfect game (his team still won) yet noone seems to care about the fact that an obvious blown call in the Twins/Mariners cost the Twins the game bother anybody?
    Both of those are hypotheticals. The Twins/Mariners is a 1-1 game going into the 11th with the correct call. You don't know if that call changed the outcome of the game, as the Mariners still could have won. The Denkinger call was in the 8th, same thing.

This situation was unique in that the outcome and score would have been unchanged if the call was overturned.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ORS;554956;
    Both of those are hypotheticals. The Twins/Mariners is a 1-1 game going into the 11th with the correct call. You don't know if that call changed the outcome of the game, as the Mariners still could have won. The Denkinger call was in the 8th, same thing.

This situation was unique in that the outcome and score would have been unchanged if the call was overturned.
    The Denkinger call would've been the first out of the 9th inning.

It wasn't as much of a hypothetical in the Twins/Mariners games because the Mariners scored the game winning run on that play. They may have lost the game anyway, but they didn't get a chance to play it out, which is the issue. They may not have won, but they surely lost because of that specific play.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by See Red;554958;

It wasn't as much of a hypothetical in the Twins/Mariners games because the Mariners scored the game winning run on that play. They may have lost the game anyway, but they didn't get a chance to play it out, which is the issue. They may not have won, but they surely lost because of that specific play.
    The Cards lost the game AFTER the Denkinger call, not BECAUSE of it. They lost the series when they couldn't win game 6 or game 7, despite having a lead after Denkinger's call in game 6.

That is quite different than an ump's blown call on what would have been the last play of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by See Red;554958;

While you're right about the Denkinger call (in terms of when it happened), your post doesn't counter ORS' argument. Fact is, Jim Joyce's blown call did take place in a very unique situation, and is not analogous to the two examples you provided.

Does fenway park allow dogs into the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Youker20;554976;
    Does fenway park allow dogs into the stadium?
    yeah they call em fenway franks

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Cole Hamels no-hitting the Padres through six.
    WAR is good for something.

Legend

And Adrian Gonzalez puts an end to the no-hitter and the shutout in one swing.

Um, you might want to turn on the White Sox-Cubs game. Both Lilly and Floyd have no-nos through five.
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    -John Belushi