Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blow It Up?

All-Star
    The Sox are scuffling. They are underacheiving to an extreme degree. They are 7.5 back in the AL East and 2.5 back for the Wild Card and show no signs of being able to gain ground on anyone.

Jason Varitek looks old and his .680 road OPS ain't gonna cut it. Derek Lowe is showing how important being a competitor truly is and he is not. Nomar Garciaparra cannot even seem remotely interested in being a teammate. Pedro Martinez has an ERA a run and a half higher than last season's. Scott Williamson's favorite two letters are "D" and "L"... in that order. Kevin Millar cannot remember what an RBI looks like. Kevin Youkilis continues to get shafted behind Bill Mueller and Mark Bellhorn on the depth chart.

Is it time to shed some of these guys? If the Sox are in a similar position at the trading deadline, I think they should blow this team up. The only untouchables should be Ortiz, Ramirez, Schilling, Nixon and Foulke with a borderline call on Wakefield.

As it stands now, the Red Sox should absolutely be buyers in the market. They should look to improve this team in every way possible. Three weeks from now, if they continue to lose every series they are in, Theo should seriously look to 2005. With the group of players they have to trade, they could get a lot in return. With the foundation they have to build upon for 2005, they wouldn't be in as bad shape as thought. Not to mention the fantastic free agent group there will be out there and the possible trades on the horizon.

What do you guys think? I am absolutely not giving up on them yet, but get back to me on July 30th and it may be very different.

I think we have to be buyers, and i think we can win the wild card.

Major Leaguer
    yea its not even all star break yet....we still have a legit shot at the wild card

I really liked what I saw on Sunday, it looked like they were pulling through. However, Lowe stunk up the joint yesterday and after scoring four early runs we looked dead. I hope we can pull it together and I thought we had it but maybe not. We'll see.

I wouldn't excatly give up hope, in the east yet. If the Sox can backhand the yankees like they did it in april we can slowly claw our ways back into the race. Derek Lowe should be moved to the bullpen, immediatly, I think he would be very good there. After that trade for a pitcher, someone like the Mariners Jamie Moyer, the Expos Tony Armas Jr/ or Livan Hernadez, or the Pirates Benson/Fogg or Wells.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

I think the east is won, but we can win the wild card.

Major Leaguer
    I agree with you all, the wild card is still attainable. Here's what I think could/should happen. The Sox have two six game stints before and just following the ASB. The six before are at home, and the following six constitute a short West Coast trip. If we can win 9 or ten of these games (8 could be OK), then we should plan on making a run for it. However, if the Sox end up finishing below .500 in the next twelve, I say dump some players (Nomar, Lowe, Mueller and please Kim and Millar). Even in that scenario we'd still have a decent team with a shot at the playoffs, but if it doesn't work out, and least we have a foot in the door for the future. Even if the Sox collapse this year, as long as they honor the contracts of Ortiz, Manny and Schilling, they still have a solid lineup. We'd still have Foulke as a closer, Youk has proven he can play third, Bellhorn and Reese are fine with me and Nixon would be in right. What you do with Pedro and/or Varitek will be key moves, but we're all waiting for Shoppach, and losing Pedro's contract (although I'd like to sign him for about two more years) would allow us to sign a few solid pitchers. This team has the tools to do it this year, but if this year goes down the tube, I wouldn't expect a long wait for us to be a potential contender again.

The fact that the Yankees got bitch-slapped this weekend by the Mets has to give us (Red Sox fans) hope. They are not unbeatable.

I still think the Sox need to buy up for 2004 (without giving up Shoppach/Youk) and shoot for the wildcard. I still think this team can be as dangerous as anyone in a 5 or 7 game series.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

Triple A
    I agree with most of the other posters in this thread that it is, indeed, a bit too early to blow up this team. However, if the Sox continue their downward trend, it will be time to reconsider where this team is headed and prepare for 2005.

We've got our core producers locked up for at least 2 years: Manny, Ortiz, Schilling, Foulke, and, my favorite, Trot Nixon. After the season, give Pedro his +/-$15M for 2 years. Throw in a great supporting cast of Pokey, Youk, Mueller, Bellhorn, Damon, Shoppach, Wake, SWilly, and Timlin, and our only real holes are 1B, C (if Shoppach doesn't pan out), RP, and SP. I'm assuming we don't re-sign Nomar, Tek, or DLowe (all 3 of which should've taken the offers extended to them since Spring Training 2003 and whose values have decreased since then), which will open up lots of spending room for this team in the offseason (make a move for Beltran...???). All 3 are also potential trade bait, especially Nomar, so who knows where that can lead us.

Fact is, this is a great team with a great foundation. Theo and Co. have done a terrific job preparing for the future, though those MFY will be very formidable next year (though their starters and bullpen are aging considerably). The key to 2005 for the AL East will be Beltran, IMO. He could go to Boston, New York, or (gasp) Baltimore....

Of course, this is all speculation, as the Sox are very much in contention for the playoffs right now. Time will tell if this team has what it takes to make a playoff push.

Yes, the Sox are 7 games out in the AL East....but there's no reason to blow up a team 3 games out of a playoff spot is well.....Silly.

The Red Sox are a playoff contender. That being said....I'm not against the idea of moving Derek Lowe
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

WE are not out of it. Not at all. The redsox need to just gain a little momentum heading into the allstar break, and the second half of the season should be awesome.
    Why is it so hot at Expos' games?

Because there's not a fan in sight.

All-Star
    I agree completely with ya.

we ceratinly dont need to blow up this squad.
    Last night proved thsat there is a lot to be hopeful about.

Fatso even got a couple of RBI's....

I have been a LOUD (and yes, obnoxious) anti-Francona poster. I still think he needs to go, a couple of arms and we are ready to string togther a run, after the all-star break, preferably starting now.

Everyone is back and ready to play, why the hell must he insit on getting at bats for Belhorn, Miller, et al.

Pokey came here to play 2nd. Billy's back, and Ortizzle is our first baseman.

I dont get the juggling now at leastg, b ut before I get worked up....yeah for last night and lets get 'em tonight.

speaking of the game today, shouldn't someone start the thread for that game. I dont know if im allowed to cause i just joined. But it would be much easier?

anyone is allowed to start them

ok my bad