Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classy Curt Schilling

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Classy Curt Schilling

Very classy Curt. Maybe you should take some lessons from a young guy on how to handle these kind of situations.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5404864

Duffy dismisses Schilling criticism

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) - Pittsburgh's Chris Duffy said criticism from pitcher Curt Schilling after being hit in the head by the Boston ace is unwarranted.

Duffy sat out Sunday's exhibition game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because of a mild concussion sustained a day earlier when he was hit by a pitch. Schilling said Duffy should have been able to avoid the fastball.

"I don't blame Curt Schilling for what happened because I know he wasn't trying to hit me, especially in an exhibition game," Duffy said. "I understand he is working on pitching inside more, but sometimes you've just got to take responsibility. You've got to go about it in a classy way.

"If he wants to pitch inside, that's fine, but he did hit me in the head. He threw the pitch up and in."

Duffy said he couldn't be sure there was any possibility he could have avoided the pitch until he watched a television replay.

Schilling felt Duffy leaned into the pitch. Duffy, though, said he shouldn't be faulted for that approach.

"I can't stand so far off the plate that I just let him keep getting me out on the outside corner with pitches I can't reach," Duffy said.

The Pirates haven't said when Duffy, who plays center field, will return to the lineup.

Pittsburgh first baseman Sean Casey sat out the two games after he was hit in the head by a pitch from Cincinnati Reds left-hander Michael Gosling on Wednesday. Most likely, the Pirates will keep Duffy out until Wednesday because they have Tuesday off.

After being hit, Duffy was taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital for a CT scan, which was negative. Duffy said he felt fortunate that he walked away from the beaning without so much as a headache. Pittsburgh won 10-7 on Saturday.

"I felt just a little woozy right after I was hit, but that was it," Duffy said. "I really feel like I could play right now. The Pirates are taking precautions by keeping me out of the lineup and I understand that. I'm just glad I'm feeling good."

The 25-year-old Duffy made his major league debut last season when he played in 39 games for the Pirates, batting .341 with one home run and nine RBIs. He also batted .308 with seven homers, 31 RBIs and 17 stolen bases in 39 games with Class AAA Indianapolis.

Duffy missed the last five weeks of the season with a torn left hamstring

Re: Classy Curt Schilling

Curt wants intimidation to be a bigger part of his game. Incidents like this will not go unnoticed. Being a jerk will help him in this instance.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It is widely known that shill plays the game it is meant to be played, and he will also speak his mind. They both know that shill wasn't trying to hit him--and if iti got away and was an accident shill would take responsibility. He thinks that he should have been able to get out of the way, are your saying he's wrong? Being right about something doesn't mean your classless!
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

you hit a guy in the head and give him a concussion, and all you can say is he shoulda been able to get out of the way?

sigh. okay

remind me to check back in this thread if Unit nails Youk or Ortiz in the head, and then says he shoulda gotten outta the way.

www.soxprospects.com

unit doesn't have the balls to throw inside anymore. how many times last year did he look like the old unit.

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by jsinger121 View Post
    unit doesn't have the balls to throw inside anymore. how many times last year did he look like the old unit.
    So Randy should hit a couple of your guys in the head for you to respect him as the old Unit?

Fenway Resident

Quote Originally Posted by He Hate Me View Post
    So Randy should hit a couple of your guys in the head for you to respect him as the old Unit?
    Schill just wants to have the intimidation of Pedro & RJ because he's noticed batters nowadays are comfortable hovering over the plate. He isnt trying to give guys concussions or worse. He's just talking like a veteran ballplayer would, also known to be a media whore anyway so why care about this?
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by riverside sluggers View Post
    Schill just wants to have the intimidation of Pedro & RJ because he's noticed batters nowadays are comfortable hovering over the plate. He isnt trying to give guys concussions or worse. He's just talking like a veteran ballplayer would, also known to be a media whore anyway so why care about this?
    I dont think he is trying to give anyone a concussion. I know he is trying to work inside to keep guys off the plate, but if you nail someone in the head, just take responsibility for it rather than trying to lay the blame on the other guy.

He can't pitch inside anymore because he would get lit up. He doesn't have the juice to make a mistake inside and get away with it.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

He can't pitch inside anymore because he would get lit up. He doesn't have the juice to make a mistake inside and get away with it.
    Ok, back to Curt.

All-Star

you hit a guy in the head and give him a concussion, and all you can say is he shoulda been able to get out of the way?

sigh. okay

remind me to check back in this thread if Unit nails Youk or Ortiz in the head, and then says he shoulda gotten outta the way.
    Now let's not forget Roger Clemens as a Yankee against Mike Piazza wut was it he said when he threw the bat at Piazza oh yea that's right. "I thought it was the ball". And If my memory serves right didn't a YANKEE pitcher give Piazza a major concussion as well.
    1903,1912,1915,1916,2004,2007 World Series Champions

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by Ray10 View Post
    Now let's not forget Roger Clemens as a Yankee against Mike Piazza wut was it he said when he threw the bat at Piazza oh yea that's right. "I thought it was the ball". And If my memory serves right didn't a YANKEE pitcher give Piazza a major concussion as well.
    And I thought Clemens was a major moron for doing that, so what's the issue here?

sigh. okay

he should be able to get out of the way. The easiest ball to get out of the way from is a fastball at your head. Excuse him for speaking the truth.

This is my rifle....

Shut up and pitch, Curt. The fact that he has beaned two people in ST is message enough to the rest of the league, no need to open his mouth about it. His comments have, in essence, made his teammates targets when he is pitching and someone gets brushed by him.

Dude I don't blame Schill at all. The fact of the matter is, it's bullshit that guys are wearing this freaking body armor that allows them to hang right over the plate, knowing that even if they get hit with a pitch, it's not going to do much damage. Balls up and in are the only way that pitchers are ever going to be able to get back the inside corner of the plate.