Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokey Reese AWOL

Evil Emperor

Pokey Reese AWOL

I wasnt aware of this until reading the article just a few minutes ago and thought it was pretty interesting. The one I am going to post is from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, just because thats the first one I read.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C. Rodriguez, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    He (General Manager Larry Beinfest ) has gone from genuinely concerned for Reese's safety to "extremely disappointed" about the infielder's lack of communication.

...Reese left camp without notice Thursday and hasn't been heard from since. Friday, assistant general manager Michael Hill received a phone call from Mike Nicotera, Reese's agent, to let him know Reese had returned home and was safe.

Originally from South Carolina, it is unclear whether Reese was in Columbia, S.C., or in Charlotte, N.C., where he has family as well.
    Latre in the article Joe Girardi is naming possible reasons, and suggests that he maybe doing "soul searching" and deciding if he still wants to play and whatnot. And then it goes on to talk about similar issues Girardi had during his career.

Appearantly though, since he has no permission, the Marlins could release him and owe him nothing (a little termination fee, but thats all). It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Re: Pokey Reese AWOL

He or his family might be panicking for his safety. I mean he was out all last year with an injury and he doesn't want to go through that again.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11684341/

AP just reported that the Marlins terminated Pokey's contract today.

Jeter Jeter peter eater RedSoxRooter's Avatar

What do you think the Marlins would want to trade for Tony G?

Well they wouldn't give up top prospects for a guy like Tony .G and they pretty much suck after D-train and Cabrera.

www.soxprospects.com

Can they even take on graffanino's contract without the Red Sox giving them some financial aid?

Fenway Resident

thats sad if the sox have to give them financial aid on a $2 million contract.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

www.soxprospects.com

With the Marlins anything is possible since their entire team outside of willis and cabrera is on the cheap.

They might not even want Tony G, and might just start a prospect there, but who knows.
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan#1 View Post
    Well they wouldn't give up top prospects for a guy like Tony .G and they pretty much suck after D-train and Cabrera.
    Exactly. You're not going to get prospects that will pan out to be anything for a guy like Tony G. Tony is a good player, he hustles and hes a good addition to a team that has something planned for this season, but for a club like the Marlins he doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, sure, they'd take him if he was on full scholarship courtesy of the Red Sox and all they had to give up was the next Mike Mordecai and maybe the next Ian Bladergroen but you won't get anything back. A team that has some hope and isn't trying to totally bomb might give you a valuable bench player in return.
    I am the biggest spaz of all time

The most hillarious quote:

With an $800,000 contract, Reese was to be one of the Marlins' best-paid, most experienced players.
    I guess the marlins were happy to get rid of that "high priced" contract! I don't think they would take Graff----I would rather him play 2nd for us instead of Loretta, but that's me!
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

www.soxprospects.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr View Post
    The most hillarious quote:

I guess the marlins were happy to get rid of that "high priced" contract! I don't think they would take Graff----I would rather him play 2nd for us instead of Loretta, but that's me!
    You might be the only one. Loretta is a lifetime .301 hitter while graffanino is a lifetime .268 hitter. Graffanino has never been a fulltime player and will likely not ever become one.

You know what's weird...when I was at spring training, Loretta seemed to be getting some work in right field, and it got me wondering...maybe Loretta could platoon with Trot and play RF when lefties pitch, and Graffanino would play 2nd? :dunno:

I think it might work.
    2007 World Series Champs
    Quote Originally Posted by rician blast;306386;
    Regardless of Ellsbury being, as you put it, the "pride enjoy" and the FO being "prowd" of Buch...

This is really unlike Pokey, it kind of makes me worried.
    "These guys need to make a descision right now, are they gonna be winners? Or are they gonna be like Alex Rodriguez?" -Dickie V during Pitt vs. Uconn

www.soxprospects.com

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith1229 View Post
    You know what's weird...when I was at spring training, Loretta seemed to be getting some work in right field, and it got me wondering...maybe Loretta could platoon with Trot and play RF when lefties pitch, and Graffanino would play 2nd? :dunno:

I think it might work.

Loretta will not be playing right field. He is the Red Sox starting baseman and will be for the entire season.