Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade Nomar!

All-Star
    I have Perez on my fantasy team too. GODDAMNIT! I hope he's OK. Well, maybe this will lower the asking price.

They said Garciaparra's ankle was bothering him.

I missed that controversy, but I saw that error. Pitiful -_- (And I'm his fan&#33

All-Star
    From the South-Florida Sun-Sentinel:

Nomar Garciaparra might have worn out his welcome in Boston, but if the Red Sox decide to make the two-time American League batting champion available they could find a willing taker in South Florida.

According to major league sources, the Marlins are weighing the merits of renting the superstar shortstop. Having received maximum production last season out of a pending free agent (Pudge Rodriguez) at a premium position (catcher), the Marlins could try the same approach with Garciaparra.

As their offensive woes deepen -- just two major league teams are batting worse with runners in scoring position (.237) -- the Marlins are telling other teams they need another bat at least as much as they need bullpen help.

The most likely trade bait would be shortstop Alex Gonzalez, a longtime favorite of Boston owner John Henry. If the Marlins thought Garciaparra could (or would) move to first base, they might be willing to part with Hee Seop Choi instead.

Because the Red Sox have Pokey Reese, they wouldn't necessarily need a shortstop in return. Starting pitching would be more apt to catch their eye.

The Red Sox have asked about right-hander Brad Penny in the past, and Carl Pavano, named Sunday to his first All-Star team, began his career in the Boston organization. Red Sox scouts Bill Lajoie and Murray Cook were at Pro Player Stadium for the recent series against Atlanta, when Penny and Pavano started on consecutive days.

Penny's $3.725 million salary could soar past $7 million next year through arbitration. Pavano, making $3.8 million this year, can be a free agent at season's end.

A two-for-two swap that would net Garciaparra and struggling right-hander Derek Lowe, and send them to South Florida for Pavano and Gonzalez or Pavano and Choi.
    Oh my God, this is the best one yet.

A Penny for your Sox.
    I was at a bar nursing a beer. My nipple was getting quite soggy

i wouldnt like that trade at all. we would be giving up WAY too much

Nomar and Lowe (when on his game) is worth 500 times Choi/Gonzalez and Pavano. Pavano is a one year wonder. He has never really been that good. This trade would make our team that much worse

I'm not sold on Pavano, although I think the Cubs gave up on Choi a little too easily.

I think a Nomar/Lowe deal for Choi,Penny, and another decent arm wouldn't be horrible.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)