Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Tom Glavine

All-Star
    There has been rumors surrounding Tom Glavine coming to the Red Sox, he's even stated that he would like to return to his home team. If the Mets fall out, this could be a distinct possibility.

What is your opinion on Tom Glavine?

Personally, the way he's been pitching this year, its hard to say no.
    Politically Right Since 1986

Retroware TV
    Follow Me on Twitter!

As I stated in the thread named "Newsday Article," I think Tom Glavine would be a great addition to the 2004 Boston Red Sox.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

I don't think anyone will grab him. He's expensive, but I think the Mets will hang around long enough to be buyers, or, just not sellers.

I don't think it'll happen because I just can't seeing the Mets falling out of the race in that weak division, but if the opportunity arose, I'd be ecstatic if we got Glavine. The only pitchers I want are Glavine, Johnson, Moyer, Leiter, and Armas. Granted, the only one that seems to be likely is Armas, which would only happen probably nearer to the deadline.
    Baseball isn't life and death but the Red Sox are.

The other rumor for Glavine is that he might go to the Yankees. I can't imagine the Mets sending one of their better pitchers to a team they still hate. What would happen if Glavine helped the Yankees win the world series?!? or if Glavine was able to win # 300 in a Yankee uniform?!?

The Mets would be ever so pissed.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

i would be pissed too...

Major Leaguer
    I have always said the Sox need a lefty in the rotation and I would love to have Glavine. I think a Sox uni would be a big boost for him and may see him return to a bit of his old form.

All-Star
    Glavine is from the area and I think he'd rather be here than New York. The Mets are still hanging around in that division and I don't think that they are going to deal anyone before July 31st, if they do at all. It should be something to watch, though.

Originally posted by noonanberg@Jun 28 2004, 09:02 PM
    I think a Sox uni would be a big boost for him and may see him return to a bit of his old form.
    Check out his ERA, WHIP, BAA ... he's already in his old form.

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4/4122/

He's been having a great year so far. Especially since he's from Billerica, I would love to see him playing for us. I hate rent-a-players, though, so I hope we'd keep him for a few years.

Glavine would not be a "rent-a-player," he signed a 3-year deal 2 years ago, meaning he still has next year under contract, plus maybe an option year (not sure).

Plus, he's a local boy, so think about how amazing it would be for him (and the team) if he won his 300th in a Red Sox uni!

If I'm Theo, I go hard after Glavine (if the Mets fall out of it)

All-Star
    I read in USA today that the Mets have absolutely no interest in letting Glavine go.