Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 7072

Thread: Official NBA thread

Major Leaguer

Re: Official NBA thread

Here, I'll play this game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;611859;
    What are you, 6?
    lol

Irrelevant, anyone's who has followed sports for more than a month or two knows that you don't set first-year championships as benchmarks.
    Alright so, they should just wait a little while before trying to win. I mean possibly until their 30s, cause they won't be hungry for a championship till then. Why can't you set a benchmark of a championship this year? Anything else is a failure. Wade, Lebron, Bosh have all acknowledged this.
    He mailed it in? Prove it.
    Miami Heat didn't seem to have any concerns about his elbow injury, did they? Oh wait, that's right... there was no injury.
    Easy for Joe Fan to say.
    Yeah it is easy for me to say that I would sign a contract for 6 years of my life to work with people who I'd generally expect to get along with. But that's just me.

Awww, want a pukey bucket?
    lol

Terrific. That doesn't mean anything.
    You're right, using other teams as examples of how to build an NBA team means nothing. Only 1 team besides Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, Bulls and Rockets have won championships in the last 25 years. That would be your D-Whistle and the 2006 Miami Heat.

Terrific. That doesn't mean anything.
    You're right, using other teams as examples of how to an NBA team will fare means nothing. Only 1 team besides Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, Bulls and Rockets have won championships in the last 25 years. That would be your D-Whistle and the 2006 Miami Heat.

Why a bunch of sadsack Joe Fans like you hate them doesn't really matter. D-Wade summed it up nicely, in that same article no less: "I think the stat is, Boston is 30-15 (actually 30-17) in the playoffs since they've been together. We're 0-0."
    For every humble quote you can nitpick from the Heat, I can easily find 10 arrogant ones. Like how everyone should refer to them as the Heatles, or how they deserve and will get 6 or 7 championships. Or Lebron "I can't defer."

Really?
    Ya. Rly. Celtics are 2-0 against the Heat this year.

lol
    lol

How's the statement stupid? They feel they have chemistry issues, and said so. You'd still be bitching up a storm if LeBron, Wade, and Bosh covered it up and said there was no problem.
    Yes, covering it up would help. IF opposing teams know you're weak they will tend to find ways to exploit it.

Not a smart quote, but does it really matter? He said that when Miami was an underwhelming 7-4 after a cake schedule to open the season. It's reasonable to assume (based on common sense) that the message of the quote wasn't 'we don't want to work', it was 'we feel overworked for where we are at this point in our Heat careers, 10% of the way through our first season together'.
    OK

Yeah yeah yeah, you're sad that they make a lot of money for playing basketball while poor little you mans the deep frier at Wendy's. Tragic.
    LOL Zing! If only you correctly captured my job description.

Don't say that I didn't warn you about what happens when you feed that troll.

Major Leaguer

Let's just say I'm curious. I know for a fact he will change to subject to something along the lines about Garnett and about how much of a @$$ he is, or something about Paul Pierce's wheelchair.

Two early season games are hardly proof that the Celtics will roll over the Heat in the playoffs.

Definitely, granted, I don't think the Heat will make the NBA finals, but I don't see them being rolled over in any given series. Barring a significant injury anyways.

A lot of it will come down to how the Celtics older roster holds up through the entire regular season and two rounds of playoffs (assuming they meet the Heat in the ECF). The younger and more athletic Heat might have the advantage come late May and early June.

Aside from that, it's a very interesting matchup to break down, but there should be plenty of time for that come the playoffs.

The Key with the Boston Celtics is the injuries and getting healthy from them. We have not had a game where everyone on the roster was healthy. Perk is a huge key to this team as is Shaq and the other o'neal. Plus missing West is pretty big as is the back up PG as Nate would move to SG.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Major Leaguer

I think the Bulls are better than the Heat right now. IMO. They could beat Celtics in a 7 game series. But ultimately if Celtics are healthy I think they take the east.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankees228;611941;
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to have picked up on your implication. You could certainly believe, as I'm sure others do, that despite how evil someone might be (or might have been), a person should only hate him or her if their lives were directly impacted by the offenders actions.

So I took your statement at face value and simply posed an extreme example to see how firm your stance was. It's a common discussion technique, so I'm not sure why you acted like it was some sort of crazy question.

And now, after asking that question, I understand more specifically how you feel about the issue.
    I disagree, since i presented flexibility in my stance before you used the extremes in the example, which anyway take the initial point of discussion out of context.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;611961;
    I disagree, since i presented flexibility in my stance before you used the extremes in the example, which anyway take the initial point of discussion out of context.
    Your first statement...

Not in all circumstances.

and your second statement...

But i believe that for "hatred" to exist towards someone else they should have done something directly to you to justify that hatred.

contradict each other. So I asked a relevant question in an attempt to completely understand your position, which to me (and probably to someone else following this conversation) wasn't crystal clear. I fail to see the harm in that.

And as for the initial point of the discussion, you shifted that from hating Lebron to when hate for someone is justified.

They contradict each other how?

I said, not in all circumstances, but that the common denominator for the "hatred" to exist had to be justified. They are not mutually exclusive.

Someone you don't know personally can harm you, and you can hate them for it. There is no contradiction, specially in the context of the current discussion. A joker can phish your credit card number, max it, and you can hate them, and there's your "he screwed me over" factor, while you don't know them.

Also, i didn't shift the topic of discussion, it shifted when i was asked to justify why someone shouldn't hate someone they don't know (which is the rule, rather than the exception, but i digress) and i did so, thus shifting the topic of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;611963;
    They contradict each other how?

I said, not in all circumstances, but that the common denominator for the "hatred" to exist had to be justified. They are not mutually exclusive.

Someone you don't know personally can harm you, and you can hate them for it. There is no contradiction, specially in the context of the current discussion. A joker can phish your credit card number, max it, and you can hate them, and there's your "he screwed me over" factor, while you don't know them.

Also, i didn't shift the topic of discussion, it shifted when i was asked to justify why someone shouldn't hate someone they don't know (which is the rule, rather than the exception, but i digress) and i did so, thus shifting the topic of discussion.
    The first statement suggests that a person doesn't necessarily have to directly affect you for hatred towards that person to be justified. The second statement suggests that hate for someone is only justified if they've done something directly to you. Those statements don't appear to be speaking to the idea that hate needs to be justified, but rather when it's reasonable to justify hate. Your intent may have been different, but that's just the way it reads.

Responding to the credit card comment, the discussion didn't seem to center around whether or not you need to know that person, but rather that person needs to have done you some type of harm.

And when the conversation shifted is debatable, but you were the one to introduce the idea that in order to have hatred towards a person, that person needs to have done you harm. To me, that seems like the turning point.

But we really aren't arguing over much, as we're no longer debating the point of the discussion, and we're instead talking about whether my response to your point was justified. Seems a bit silly, which I helped to perpetuate. On the other hand, if you want to respond I'll continue to engage you in conversation - an unfortunate consequence of having no plans tonight lol.

When you talk Y228, I just picture someone like Sherlock Holmes in a trench coat in his library with a pipe and a newspaper.

Definitely agree on the "no plans for tonight" point, since i have a big-ass presentation for Public Budgeting tomorrow, and i'm procrastinating like they're paying me for it.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;611967;
    When you talk Y228, I just picture someone like Sherlock Holmes in a trench coat in his library with a pipe and a newspaper.
    Haha, well stick with that image, it's probably more flattering than reality in this case.