Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees Off-Season Plans

Fenway Resident

Yankees Off-Season Plans

Winter storm watch

Who knows what Boss will do after loss

After a disappointing loss in the division series to the Angels, the Yankees face - as usual - turbulence in the offseason. This time, though, it starts at the top. The man who would guide the team through winter transactions, GM Brian Cashman, will be a free agent himself after Oct. 31, so he may or may not be around to deal with filling the center field hole, re-signing Hideki Matsui and patching up the bullpen. Could there be another, more high-profile winter task, too? It all depends on the mood of George Steinbrenner and his minions, but the Yanks' playoff failure could put Joe Torre's job in jeopardy, especially if this is Steinbrenner's only opportunity to get Lou Piniella back in the fold.

Torre still has $13.1 million left over the final two years of his contract, but it's unclear if The Boss would dole out the ultimate penalty to the manager who didn't get a $200 million team further into October, regardless of Torre getting the Yanks to the playoffs after a trying season.Cashman, or whoever replaces him, will have to deal with other issues, as well. Will Bernie Williams be back in a lesser and less-expensive capacity? There were fans at Game 4 at the Stadium with signs such as "Bernie 2006" who clearly wanted him to return. If Mel Stottlemyre retires, which seems like a given, who will be the pitching coach? If Joe Girardi is hired to manage another team, who replaces him as bench coach? Will The Boss require a sacrificial lamb from the coaching staff if Torre is retained? Who are the attractive free agents from other teams?

One thing seems certain, according to several team executives, anyway - the payroll won't be as bloated. "There is no way it goes up," one said. "We'll go down." Williams, who made $12 million this season, will be off the books, as will Kevin Brown, who made $15 million. Other rich contracts, such as Steve Karsay ($5 million) will have lapsed, too. Of course, the Yankees must pay Matsui and he likely will command more than $10 million per year. It seems like a lock they'll re-sign him. They'll also need a center fielder, and if they sign Boston free agent Johnny Damon, they'll have to pay around the same, which will cut into their payroll savings. Damon is 31 years old and could want a five-year contract.

They might fill center field by trading for Mike Cameron, if the Mets are willing. They might compete with the Red Sox there. Or they could explore whether free agent Brian Giles would fit. "There aren't a lot of center fielders out there," a Yankee bigwig said. Other than center, the Yankees are mostly locked into their position players. They are lucky that Robinson Cano bloomed this year, because they finally will have a cheap regular. They will look to trade Tony Womack because there seems to be no place for him.

Tom Gordon is a free agent in the bullpen and the Yankees may try to re-sign him. Another plan would be to find a younger free agent to set up for Mariano Rivera and potentially become the closer when Rivera is done. Baltimore's B.J. Ryan is a possibility there. For other openings, they hope Aaron Small can maintain what he did this year and Scott Proctor finally can break out. It's unclear what the rotation will look like beyond Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina, partly because Carl Pavano must prove that he is healthy after an injury-plagued 2005. Jaret Wright was hurt for long stretches and at the end of the season was a magnet for flying objects before being left off the division series roster.

Chien-Ming Wang's development may distract the Yankees from pursuing more high-priced starters in what most feel is a weak free agent market. One scout who saw Wang pitch regularly predicted he would be "an 18-20-game winner someday. Everything he throws moves or sinks. Unless he gets hurt, he's going to be a good one, getting all those ground balls." But the Yankees have been romanced in the past by pitchers with a thrilling arsenal. Remember Javier Vazquez, Jeff Weaver and Jose Contreras? Florida's A.J. Burnett might be the most attractive starter and some observers believe he has the best stuff in baseball. But Burnett ripped the Marlins in the last week of the season and the team told him to go home. Plus, the Yankees got little return this season from a $40 million investment from an ex-Marlin – Pavano.

There might be one free agent pitcher who could get the Yankees to open the vault again - Roger Clemens. The ageless Clemens is once again a free agent, though his son now plays in the Astros' system, which might put any Rocket redux stories to rest. The Yankees have 11 free agents of their own – Brown, Matsui, Gordon, Alan Embree, John Flaherty, Matt Lawton, Al Leiter, Ramiro Mendoza, Felix Rodriguez, Rey Sanchez and Ruben Sierra. They hold contract options on Tino Martinez (either a $3 million option or a $275,000 buyout) and Tanyon Sturtze ($1.5 million option or $150,000 buyout).
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Fenway Resident

Re: Yankees Off-Season Plans

Yankees: Biggest need is to limit Tampa's meddling
    Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Many of the flashpoints for the looming off-season conflicts between the feuding factions of the Yankees' dysfunctional family are obvious. Joe Torre. Brian Cashman. Mid-level star players such as Tom Gordon. These are the people you expect the Tampa people to fight with the New York people about as another too-early Yankee off-season gets underway today. But if you want to know how serious and how potentially insurmountable the divisions are, we present the following example, in two words: Jorge Posada.

"What?" you ask, undoubtedly incredulous. "Jorge Posada? Home-grown Yankee catcher Jorge Posada? Four-time World Series champion Jorge Posada? Organizational good soldier Jorge Posada?" Sure, you think, Posada had a down year. And sure, he's 34 years old and has caught a lot of games. But how could anybody in the Yankee organization feel anything but love or loyalty toward a player who has played so tough, who has delivered so many big hits, who has brought so much glory to the pinstripes? And that's when you realize how nuts things really are around the Yankees.

According to a person with knowledge of the Yankees' inner workings, Posada is likely to be a hot topic in the organizational meetings that owner George Steinbrenner will be holding over the coming weeks and months. Some in the organization still like Posada -- after all, he's a switch-hitting catcher with power who's proven over a long period of time that he can play and shine in New York.

But there are other voices whispering in Steinbrenner's ear that Posada is done, and way overpaid, and that the Yankees should look into trading him and signing a free agent such as San Diego's Ramon Hernandez. These are the insidious people in the organization -- the tear-downers who think Torre's time is up and Cashman is overrated. These are the people who inspired one Yankee insider to say during the regular season's final week that "there are people in this organization who would be thrilled if we missed the playoffs." Crazy? Sure. But that's the Yankees.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

There is no doubt in my mind that they will press hard for B.J. Ryan. The only question is will they be willing to give him closer money to be the set up man. I would because if you sign him to a 4-year deal chances are by the last year of that deal he will take over as the Yankee closer. They really need to start thinking about the future. I would look hard for a young CF. There is talk of Juan Pierre being out there. I would take a look at him if they can get him. I like the idea of getting a CF that can lead off and move down Jeter to the 2 hole. Jeter is the perfect #2 hitter leave him there. I know there will be ALOT of wispers about Johnny Damon. I like Damon as a hitter, he is one damn good lead off man. What I dont like is the age, his throwing arm and the amount of years he wants. If he would take a 3 year deal I would consider it (But if the Red Sox were offering that he would go back) but there is NO CHANCE that I give Damon a 5 or 6 year deal.

When I see the free agent list I will give you want my projected 06 team would look like.
    Gabe Kapler is full of heart and determination:
    http://nomaas.org/images/kaplerftl.gif
    :lol:

1B- Giambi
    2B- Cano
    3B- Rodriguez
    SS- Jeter
    LF- Matsui
    CF- Hunter
    RF- Sheffield
    C- Hernandez
    DH- Posada

SP- Johnson
    SP- Mussina
    SP- Chacon
    SP- Wang
    SP- Wright

RP- Small
    RP- Proctor
    RP- Rivera
    RP- Ryan
    RP- Wagner/Gordon
    RP- Sturtze

Bn- Crosby
    Bn- Bellhorn/Infielder
    Bn- Martinez
    Bn- Escalona
    Bn- 5th outfielder

Manager- Joe Torre
    GM- Brian Cashman

My ideal would be to trade Pavano, who still has some value, for Torii Hunter in Minnesota in some sort of package. Obviously you eat a lot of his salary, but it makes some sense. Sign Ramon Hernandez to catch so you can put Posada at DH. Bring in Ryan, at whatever you need to pay for him. I would prefer Gordon over Wagner, simply to have a righty, lefty and Rivera at the back of the bullpen. Keep Small in the old Mendoza role (spot starter, middle reliever). Forget the big name starter, our rotation is damn good this way. Of course, if Clemens were inticed to come back I wouldn't mind making a spot for him.

Wright spent a lot of time on the DL this year, are we allowed to buy out his contract? I know there was some clause like that in there. Just something to keep in mind.

As alternatives, Giles is on the wrong side of potential going to be 35 on Opening day, Cameron is 32 and Damon is 31 with no arm. I don't like the idea of investing in those guys. One other guy I wouldn't mind making a trade for would be Juan Pierre, perhaps again with Pavano headed back to Florida. I don't know if they're looking to trade him but it is something to be explored. In fact, I like Pierre better than Hunter.

That's my brief analysis anyway.
    9-11-01 FDNYPD We will not forget.
    Just because it's a rivalry doesn't mean you need to make retarded arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by ARod2212
    1B- Giambi
    2B- Cano
    3B- Rodriguez
    SS- Jeter
    LF- Matsui
    CF- Hunter
    RF- Sheffield
    C- Hernandez
    DH- Posada

SP- Johnson
    SP- Mussina
    SP- Chacon
    SP- Wang
    SP- Wright

RP- Small
    RP- Proctor
    RP- Rivera
    RP- Ryan
    RP- Wagner/Gordon
    RP- Sturtze

Bn- Crosby
    Bn- Bellhorn/Infielder
    Bn- Martinez
    Bn- Escalona
    Bn- 5th outfielder

Manager- Joe Torre
    GM- Brian Cashman

My ideal would be to trade Pavano, who still has some value, for Torii Hunter in Minnesota in some sort of package. Obviously you eat a lot of his salary, but it makes some sense. Sign Ramon Hernandez to catch so you can put Posada at DH. Bring in Ryan, at whatever you need to pay for him. I would prefer Gordon over Wagner, simply to have a righty, lefty and Rivera at the back of the bullpen. Keep Small in the old Mendoza role (spot starter, middle reliever). Forget the big name starter, our rotation is damn good this way. Of course, if Clemens were inticed to come back I wouldn't mind making a spot for him.

Wright spent a lot of time on the DL this year, are we allowed to buy out his contract? I know there was some clause like that in there. Just something to keep in mind.

As alternatives, Giles is on the wrong side of potential going to be 35 on Opening day, Cameron is 32 and Damon is 31 with no arm. I don't like the idea of investing in those guys. One other guy I wouldn't mind making a trade for would be Juan Pierre, perhaps again with Pavano headed back to Florida. I don't know if they're looking to trade him but it is something to be explored. In fact, I like Pierre better than Hunter.

That's my brief analysis anyway.
    That would be my team but I doubt we could get Pavano for Hunter with the money left on Pavano's deal. I agree with you on Giles, Cameron and Damon. I would love to unload both Pavano and Wright.
    Gabe Kapler is full of heart and determination:
    http://nomaas.org/images/kaplerftl.gif
    :lol:

...can we trade A Rod?

I'm kidding...sort of.
    When we are born, we cry, that we are come
    To this great stage of fools.

This is my rifle....

I have a hard time believing that Wagner and Ryan will both be willing to move to a setup role. There are a few contenders that would be able to offer a greater role in the BP. Namely, the Red Sox (Foulke is still a ?, his rehab/attitude could influence things), Atlanta, the Cubs (they'll contend next year, and they can spend), Cleveland (depending on Wickman), the Mets (their BP sucked, and they look really willing to fork out some dough). I think the sweepstakes on effective relievers will be very competitive this FA season.

Quote Originally Posted by ARod2212
    1B- Giambi
    2B- Cano
    3B- Rodriguez
    SS- Jeter
    LF- Matsui
    CF- Hunter
    RF- Sheffield
    C- Hernandez
    DH- Posada

SP- Johnson
    SP- Mussina
    SP- Chacon
    SP- Wang
    SP- Wright

RP- Small
    RP- Proctor
    RP- Rivera
    RP- Ryan
    RP- Wagner/Gordon
    RP- Sturtze

Bn- Crosby
    Bn- Bellhorn/Infielder
    Bn- Martinez
    Bn- Escalona
    Bn- 5th outfielder

Manager- Joe Torre
    GM- Brian Cashman

I wouldn't mind that, I think there going to sign Bernie to a small contratc, like 1 year to be kind of like Ruben, Pinch hitter and possible OF

What kinda contract do we have with Embree and Leiter, are they all done??

And we need to resign Matsui and Chacon

Embree is definitely done, they may be able to talk Leiter into being a lefty out of the pen. He did do awful good in that role.

And I don't expect Wagner and Ryan to take on setup roles, which is why I'd prefer Gordon to Wagner. But if someone took Gordon I think we'd have to make a run at both of those guys to actually improve our bullpen.

I also gotta say the Yankees aren't a test it out kinda team, like test this season if it'll work, if not change,

Seeing how this season ended, I don't know if all the starters from last year will still be here starting 99% of the games

Evil Emperor

its still early so ill wait until after the World Series to make all of my predictions on who will be on the 2006 roster.

I dont like Pierre, I would not mind Damon (for 2 or 3), trading for Cam, or getting Hunter. Though I would prefer one of the first teo I mentioned, because you all know im a huge Melky fan and want him to be the everyday CFer in a few years (not going to happen with Hunter in there). But dont get me wrong, I would be very saitsfied with Hunter.

No way we get both Wagner and Ryan, I would be somewhat surprised if we get one of them. Wagner I doubt will take a setup role and Ryan is still up in the air.

Embree is definately gone, I think Al Leiter retires to the YES booth with his good pal Kichael Kay.
    I wouldnt mind having Andy Phillips take the backup infielder role, and maybe even teach him some outfield in spring training, which would make him the most versatile player on the team. I want Tino back (only if Joe is back, if Joe's gone I want him to sign with another team then all of the "Yankees" such as Jeter, Rivera, Bernie, Posada, etc.. demand trades to that team and I will automatically root for that team.) I wouldnt mind having Womack back, though I have a better chance of making the Yankees next year than Womack being brought back. Reason I like Womack is because hes super quick, when in there everyday he can hit sometimes, hes versatile as he can play all 3 outfield positions and the middle infield. But if they get rid of him I would want to keep Lawton or bring in Rickey Ledee for old-time's sake.

I wouldnt be super surprised if the Yankees trade Posada. I owuld be very happy with what Arod proposed with getting Ramon Hernandez to catch. I also recently read a thing in one of the papers regarding Molina possibly coming to New York (the big talk is for him to come to the mets, but the Yankees were also mentioned in the article). If thats the case, him and posada can platood between catcher and DH. The one thing I DO NOT like about that is that we would have to carry 3 catcher-only players (players who can do noting but catch, even though in emergencys Posada can play 2nd and Flaherty can play 1st) and the fact that we pretty much lose the DH spot for Bernie, Sierra, or whoever.

Last year I was a mad-man in the offseason, I knew every roster move as it happened, I could tell you when a no-name veteran, over the hill guy signed a minor league contract with someone. thats how crazy I was, like I could have been a reporter last winter, I dont anticipate doing that this year, im just too drained. (Though I will follow super closely on a daily basis, im just not going to spend every second of every day exploring the hot stove)

Go Astros!

NY has dug themselves a nice hole in their starting staff by signing Pavano and Wright longterm. Both have had ONLY ONE good season each. They have proven nothing. Mussina is aging very ungracefully, RJ is a roll of the dice at his age. They've locked themselves up for 3 years as far as their starting staff with no hints of any 20 game winners on board.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeessuck013
    They've locked themselves up for 3 years as far as their starting staff with no hints of any 20 game winners on board.
    "No hints of any 20 game winners?" Here's a big hint:

Randy Johnson struggled mightily this year and still won 17 games; he, almost certainly, is going to have a better season next year. 20 is not that big a stretch given what he did this last month, when he started acting like Randy Johnson.
    When we are born, we cry, that we are come
    To this great stage of fools.

he's gonna be a year older and I can't see him pitiching as much as he did this year.

Johnson could still very well win 20 games, let's not kid ourselves. We gave A-Rod and adjustment year, and this year he was MVP. That was Johnson's grace year, now it's time for him to step up and be the pitcher we know he is.