Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Yankees' bench coach Joe Girardi, candidate for manager of D-Rays

Fenway Resident

Yankees' bench coach Joe Girardi, candidate for manager of D-Rays

D-Rays given permission to interview Girardi

NEW YORK (AP) - Yankees bench coach Joe Girardi was given permission Saturday to interview for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' managerial opening. Girardi interviewed Friday for the Marlins' manager job, and Florida plans to schedule a second interview. Jack McKeon, who managed the Marlins to a World Series victory over the Yankees in 2003, said last weekend that he would not return next season. "They're a young team," Girardi said. "They have kids coming. It's a chance to win."

Tampa Bay agreed to let manager Lou Piniella out of the final season of his four-year contract. Stuart Sternberg took over Thursday from Vince Naimoli as the Devil Rays' controlling owner and immediately fired general manager Chuck LaMar.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Evil Emperor

Re: Yankees' bench coach Joe Girardi, candidate for manager of D-Rays

Girardi seems to be the talk of several manager-less franchises. Specifically the Florida teams. There was a good article in yesterdays daily news by Bill Madden (i think)..if i find a link i will post.

With how things have gone so far with Loria, i would be surprised if he doesnt end up managing in Florida.

Evil Emperor

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-301599c.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Madden, NY Daily News
    Fla. teams want Girardi

For a guy who has never managed a day in his life, Joe Girardi is certainly generating a lot of interest. Besides Florida owner Jeffrey Loria, who has been actively pursuing Girardi for a year now, the Devil Rays' new ownership team is said to have the Yankee bench coach on its radar as a top candidate to succeed Lou Piniella as manager. What makes Girardi particularly attractive to both Florida teams is that the owners are looking for a manager who can grow with a young team and come cheaply. Loria has done a commendable job in maintaining a winning team in Miami despite severe financial constraints as a result of his stadium situation. Because Florida bureaucrats have once again put the kibosh on the stadium financing plan for Miami, Loria is probably going to be forced to let many of his higher-salaried players go this winter.

Evil Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by Today's Daily News, "Yankee Notes" Section, written by beat writer Sam Borden
    COURTING JOE: The Devil Rays received permission to interview bench coach Joe Girardi for their managerial opening. There had been some question as to whether George Steinbrenner - who regards the Devil Rays as an intense rival since the Yankees' second home is in Tampa - would be willing to allow Girardi to talk with the Rays, but the OK ultimately was given. Girardi already has had one conversation with the Marlins about their opening and could meet with them again within a week. One thing Girardi knows for sure about the Tampa job is who his top candidate to become bench coach would be: Don Zimmer, who worked as an adviser for the club the past two seasons.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-301804c.html

...posted that because of the Zimmer note. It will be interestign to see ZIm next to Girardi. I wonder if Girrdi gets the marlins job, does Zim leave the Devil Rays for Miami?

If Joe takes the Devil Rays job there is no doubt Zim is on the bench with him.

This is my rifle....

I'll be totally shocked if he ends up in Florida over Tampa Bay. Tampa's previous miserly owner, Lamioli (sp?) has lost control of the team, with controlling interest going to Sternberg. I've heard some radio interviews of his down here, and he seems interested in producing a quality product for the Central Florida market. The Marlins FO always seems to have its head up its ass, and ownership seems only interested in keeping the margins that line their pockets right. Plus, Tampa has a crop of good young hitters that can fly on the basepaths, which fits in perfectly with Girardi's desire to play aggressive.

Evil Emperor

I agree that the Devil Rays TEAM might fit Girardi better, but it just looks as if he is very close to agreeing upon a contract with Loria. And I think he would do good there. Hes not a guy I want controlling a team of rookies, as he would be a rookie too. I understand wanting him "to grow with the team" but I just think he would do better with the talent in Miami. But who knows, its a tossup either way as to where he ends up.

I hope he's managing the Yankees next year after Steinbrenner acts stupid and fires Torre.
    9-11-01 FDNYPD We will not forget.
    Just because it's a rivalry doesn't mean you need to make retarded arguments.