Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6/23 SOX @ Reds 1:40PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Not even close to one. He's shown no sign of decline and is doing better in almost every category, except RBI-related ones. (BTW, I'm not one who believes that clutch is a sustainable skillset.)

He's just now entering peak prime, so no, I do not expect or see any sign of decline.

Ask me in 2-3 years.
    For his career Devers is averaging 106 RBI per 162 games. He's just been having one of those years of making a lot of outs with men on. But that's bound to turn around.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    If the SOX are still in PO contention by the TDL, I don't see how they can trade Kenley and/or Martin.
    It would sure upset a lot of fans.

This season, has a feel like 2021. Not many had high expectations going into either season, and a bunch of things went right that overpowered the bunch that went wrong.

The Schwarber acquisition was a big part of the continued success and near ALCS championship. Lesser pick-ups like Iggy, Shaw and Robles helped, too. The highest ranked prospect we gave up, that year, was Aldo Ramirez. I could see Brez trying to do something along those lines, this deadline.

Maybe we trade O'Neill and also acquire a couple key pieces.

A couple weeks ago, I was feeling like we were at about a 90% sel chance. Now, it looks under 50-50.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Jansen is pitching himself into being indispensable.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    It would sure upset a lot of fans.

This season, has a feel like 2021. Not many had high expectations going into either season, and a bunch of things went right that overpowered the bunch that went wrong.

The Schwarber acquisition was a big part of the continued success and near ALCS championship. Lesser pick-ups like Iggy, Shaw and Robles helped, too. The highest ranked prospect we gave up, that year, was Aldo Ramirez. I could see Brez trying to do something along those lines, this deadline.

Maybe we trade O'Neill and also acquire a couple key pieces.

A couple weeks ago, I was feeling like we were at about a 90% sel chance. Now, it looks under 50-50.
    Forget about it upsetting those crybaby fans as you call them, but MORE importantly it would upset, and piss off the players in that clubhouse.

Jansen has become the beats he once was.

Some of us were questioning his apparent declining trend, earlier this year, but man o man, were we wrong.

This team has a lot of heart and soul. I'm not sure those are the best words. Maybe "grit" is better, but you gotta feel the shift in attitude and confidence.

We are coming back in games, in series and overcoming some bad trends we saw earlier in the season and in May.

We should all know, we will have a rough patch or two, at some point, but I'm feeling more and more confident we can keep those stretches short and the good ones, longer.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    For his career Devers is averaging 106 RBI per 162 games. He's just been having one of those years of making a lot of outs with men on. But that's bound to turn around.
    Devers in some fans eyes can go from Devers Forever to Never Devers from game to game, and sometimes pitch to pitch. Some just don’t get that point.

Another series win over a team that the Sox should beat . Used up a lot of BP going into next week. . All the buy-sell talk will have to wait. This group is on a nice roll that needs to run deep into July to confirm if we need/want help or could they benefit by moving 1 or 2 and gaining different skills.

Good Game, Red Sox !

Wong and Duran need to be all stars. They probably won’t but both deserve it and then some
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    No doubt, he's having a rough time in those specific situations which amount to these sample sizes:

78 PAs w RISP (When you factor in he was walked 12 of those 78, his chances for rbis other than by HR was 62 ABs) 25 RBI in 62 ABs

138 PAs w Men on Base (116 ABs) 30 RBI in 116 ABs

All hitters have ups and downs, within a season and from season to season. I'm not reading into this low RBI start as much as others, but it certainly has hurt our chances at winning more than we have.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Wong and Duran need to be all stars. They probably won’t but both deserve it and then some
    Duran is 5th in fWAR among AL outfielders. Wong leads AL catchers in fWAR.

If you like fWAR as a measure of worthiness for the All Star game, Wong is a no brainer to make the team. Duran would also deserve it, but his spot could be lost to some players who is a sole team rep…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Duran is 5th in fWAR among AL outfielders. Wong leads AL catchers in fWAR.

If you like fWAR as a measure of worthiness for the All Star game, Wong is a no brainer to make the team. Duran would also deserve it, but his spot could be lost to some players who is a sole team rep…
    While he is 5th in fWAR among OF'ers, there is also this:

He was 0.1 behind Tucker, before today. He may be tied, now.
    He is T7th in overall AL fWAR, which is a pretty good tool for measuring the overall value of players.

I think he belongs, along with Wong and Houck, but it would not surprise me, if Houck is our only rep.

I do not think fWAR is what most fans look at before voting.

All-Star
    What to do with Yoshida?
    He is providing nothing to the team this season …..

Deity
    Jansen has become the beats he once was.

Some of us were questioning his apparent declining trend, earlier this year, but man o man, were we wrong.

This team has a lot of heart and soul. I'm not sure those are the best words. Maybe "grit" is better, but you gotta feel the shift in attitude and confidence.

We are coming back in games, in series and overcoming some bad trends we saw earlier in the season and in May.

We should all know, we will have a rough patch or two, at some point, but I'm feeling more and more confident we can keep those stretches short and the good ones, longer.
    Three days ago, before the series in Cincy, I was the only one saying the Sox were/are in the hunt for the postseason. And right now--and I agree there are bound to be more ups and downs--the Sox are ahead of the Royals for the 3d wild card and 1/2 game behind the Twins for the 2d wild card.

It's primarily the no-name pitching, which, as you say, lately is getting some support from the no-name lineup. And the bad-name defense is slightly mitigated by the no-name base-running.

What might have turned the tide was 8 days ago when Jansen called Cora from the bullpen and said "put me in" against the Yankees in the 8th inning when the score was 6-4 Sox and the Yankees had 2 on and 2 out. Cora did put him in, and he got 4 outs. That was real leadership by Jansen and the message was simple: we're here to win games--and we can!
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 06-23-2024 at 05:41 PM.

Jarren Duran is such an awesome player. Every day he is making in impact in some sort of way

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Three days ago, before the series in Cincy, I was the only one saying the Sox were/are in the hunt for the postseason. And right now--and I agree there are bound to be more ups and downs--the Sox are ahead of the Royals for the 3d wild card and 1/2 game behind the Twins for the 2d wild card.

It's primarily the no-name pitching, which, as you say, lately is getting some support from the no-name lineup. And the bad-name defense is slightly mitigated by the no-name base-running.

What might have turned the tide was 8 days ago when Jansen called Cora from the bullpen and said "put me in" against the Yankees in the 8th inning when the score was 6-4 Sox and the Yankees had 2 on and 2 out. Cora did put him in, and he got 4 outs. That was real leadership by Jansen and the message was simple: we're here to win games--and we can!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Jarren Duran is such an awesome player. Every day he is making in impact in some sort of way
    He has become my Red Sox favourite player, with his combination of good defence, bat to ball skills, power, base running and all out effort playing every game.