Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/21 Red Sox at Cincinnati Reds Summer's Here, Where's the Beer ?

6/21 Red Sox at Cincinnati Reds Summer's Here, Where's the Beer ?

Kutter Crawford pitching vs Andrew Abbott (LH) , so we should see Wong catching and Refsnyder in the DH slot . Duran, Hamilton, Devers will have to suck it up.

Only one RS batter has ever faced Abbott , that being Tyler O'Neill who is 0-2.

Looking at a long list of team stats, the Sox should be able to beat the Reds in this series. Boston outranks Cincinnati in most hitting and pitching line items.

Can we pump this streak up to 10 ? That would affect a lot of the thinking going into July and the eventual trade deadline. Nobody said it was going to be easy, Craig

The last place Reds might not be as bad as it looks.

While they are 35-39, that is only 4.5 games worse than the Sox, and they have a +10 run differential, which is 13th best in MLB.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The Red Sox statistical advantages, including W-L records, are not large and reasonably reflect the W-L records, which could reverse within a week's worth of play.

These are the teams Boston needs to take series from if they are to make a serious run at the WC slots .

I heard a stat yesterday which was amazing. Orioles have now won 22 consecutive series vs AL East opponents .

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    The Red Sox statistical advantages, including W-L records, are not large and reasonably reflect the W-L records, which could reverse within a week's worth of play.

These are the teams Boston needs to take series from if they are to make a serious run at the WC slots .

I heard a stat yesterday which was amazing. Orioles have now won 22 consecutive series vs AL East opponents .
    They did split a couple of series with the Jays this year.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Kutter Crawford pitching vs Andrew Abbott (LH) , so we should see Wong catching and Refsnyder in the DH slot . Duran, Hamilton, Devers will have to suck it up.

Only one RS batter has ever faced Abbott , that being Tyler O'Neill who is 0-2.

Looking at a long list of team stats, the Sox should be able to beat the Reds in this series. Boston outranks Cincinnati in most hitting and pitching line items.

Can we pump this streak up to 10 ? That would affect a lot of the thinking going into July and the eventual trade deadline. Nobody said it was going to be easy, Craig
    Right now Craig Breslow has to be quietly ecstatic. Taking the Sox job was/is high risk given JH's reluctance to spend big, especially for starters. So of course Craig started out by signing Giolito for $36M for 2 years, which quickly became $36M for one year, if that. Then he dumped Sale to the Braves, where he is now their ace and, to sweeten the deal, the Sox are paying $17M of Sale's salary this year. Horrible!!

Surprise, surprise, the Sox pitching is right now, 75 games into the season, 5th in MLB in ERA and the best it's been in a long time. Better, in fact, than the high-priced Sox pitchers in 2018. The only expensive Sox pitcher is closer Jansen, $16M, who just might be worth that insane price. Gotta love that phone call to Cora: send me in. Credit the new pitching coach and maybe Breslow for insisting on replacing last year's model.

The Sox hitting is basically a bunch of no names except for Rafael Devers, who's having a pretty good season (not counting rbi's of course). Lately the no names have been, well, hitting the dang ball and--hold onto your hats, folks--actually scoring runs. Thus 7 wins in 9 games vs. the Yankees, Phillies, and Jays.

The defense still stinks, but maybe a little less. And the baserunning slightly compensates with all those SB's.

A month from now when it's trade time, Craig Breslow just might be in the catbird seat, dealing from strength, not weakness.

On Giolito, there is a 14M club option for 2026 if he pitches under 140 innings next season and a mutual 19M option if he pitches over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    On Giolito, there is a 14M club option for 2026 if he pitches under 140 innings next season and a mutual 19M option if he pitches over.
    I think he’s going to struggle to break that 140 IP limit…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think he’s going to struggle to break that 140 IP limit…
    Speaking of IP, what's the current over/under on 2024 IP for these guys?

EST based on about 2.16 x current IP:

205 Houck
    180 Crawford
    150 Bello
    115 Pivetta
    110 Criswell

(80 for Slaten & Anderson)

I’ll be at the game tonight. First time in Cincy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Lucky you!

Enjoy it!

Interesting stat regarding this 35-39 Reds' team; they are 30-1 when leading after 6.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 06-21-2024 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Interesting stat regarding this 35-39 Reds' team; they are 30-1 when leading after 6.
    Sox need to score first, early and often

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Stay hydrated.

Deity
    Can this continue the winning streak? We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Horrendous contract.

Had he pitched well, he would have opted out. I doubt the brass thought we'd get into the playoffs so even assuming a good season from Giolito, it probably would have meant nothing significant in terms of playoffs chances.

Maybe they were more optimistic than rest of us. It's a sucky contract from financial stand point. Just my opinion of course.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?