Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 6/19 Juneteenth in Toronto. Ready to sweep?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Yes, the one chain rule was noted in Spring Training.
    Do they also have rules against pearl necklaces like the ones worn by Joc Pederson and Brayan Bello?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm kind of anti-beard, so the Yankee rule doesn't bother me. But overall I think beards are harmless.

The gold chains, on the other hand, strike me as vanity run amuck--and that absolutely includes guys like Mookie Betts. When I see the chains, I silently hum "I feel pretty" from West Side Story. Interestingly, neither actress who played Maria in the two West Side Story movies wore a necklace for the simple reason they had to dance.
    It seems hypocritical to tell grown men they can’t have beards, they can’t wear two chains, but they do have to wear see-through pants.

Also, when is it officially a beard? Does that pre-pubescent scruff on Justin Steele’s face count?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Do they also have rules against pearl necklaces like the ones worn by Joc Pederson and Brayan Bello?
    Pearl necklaces are right out!

"Mattingly! I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

The only two teams that will not do a City Connect jersey: Yankees and Athletics.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    It seems hypocritical to tell grown men they can’t have beards, they can’t wear two chains, but they do have to wear see-through pants.

Also, when is it officially a beard? Does that pre-pubescent scruff on Justin Steele’s face count?
    In my business, shaving was obligatory, and gold chains, had they ever been worn, would have been scorned. I think the beards and gold chains are entirely about getting people's attention, which is what most if not all adolescents do. And let's not forget all the hand waving, etc whenever anyone gets a hit. Look at me, look at me, look at me. I accept all that because it's now part of the game, but I don't think any of it makes the game better.

I do, however, have the sneaking suspicion that MLB likes the gyrations, the beards, the jewelry, etc because they hope it will increase attendance and/or viewership.

Deity
    Pearl necklaces are right out!

"Mattingly! I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!"
    “Still like him better than Steinbrenner.”

Deity
    The only two teams that will not do a City Connect jersey: Yankees and Athletics.
    That does make sense.

The Yankee pinstripes are already one of the most iconic uniforms in all of American sports.

And it would be a slap in the face for the A’s to make a City Connect uniform while they’re in the process of disconnecting from Oakland…

That does make sense.

The Yankee pinstripes are already one of the most iconic uniforms in all of American sports.

And it would be a slap in the face for the A’s to make a City Connect uniform while they’re in the process of disconnecting from Oakland…
    Ewwww
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    In my business, shaving was obligatory, and gold chains, had they ever been worn, would have been scorned. I think the beards and gold chains are entirely about getting people's attention, which is what most if not all adolescents do. And let's not forget all the hand waving, etc whenever anyone gets a hit. Look at me, look at me, look at me. I accept all that because it's now part of the game, but I don't think any of it makes the game better.

I do, however, have the sneaking suspicion that MLB likes the gyrations, the beards, the jewelry, etc because they hope it will increase attendance and/or viewership.
    Real baseball died the day the high five was created. Can't even take a family to see a kids game anymore!
    I get MV Pee.

That does make sense.

There are other iconic MLB uniforms.

In any case, not sure what it would have to do with electing not to ever wear the City Connect jerseys.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There are other iconic MLB uniforms.

In any case, not sure what it would have to do with electing not to ever wear the City Connect jerseys.
    What is the purpose of City Connect uniforms?

And as much as I don’t like it, Yankee pinstripes really are the most famous uniform in MLB…

City Connect jerseys showcase the vibrant and distinct culture of their team and their city.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

And as much as I don’t like it, Yankee pinstripes really are the most famous uniform in MLB…
    The purpose of the City Connects is to sell more team apparel/caps on the basis that it relates to the city specifically , not just the baseball team. You never see the team name on a City Connect, only the city name.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    The purpose of the City Connects is to sell more team apparel/caps on the basis that it relates to the city specifically , not just the baseball team. You never see the team name on a City Connect, only the city name.
    That makes sense.