Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Willie Mays

Deity
    It might be repetitive but he was the best I ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Only Ruth and the cheater Bonds has a high fWAR?

Do you think they got that wrong?
    Mays had skills that would transcend time. Ruth did not. Bonds was great before the cream and clear, but was not at the Mays level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Mays had skills that would transcend time. Ruth did not. Bonds was great before the cream and clear, but was not at the Mays level.
    Willie was so talented that he took regular infield practice at shortstop, where his manager said he'd be a starting All-Star if he ever had to move there.

Now, what other all-time great in the name of JOHN HENRY can anyone remember actually moving from the outfield to a middle infield position?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Willie was so talented that he took regular infield practice at shortstop, where his manager said he'd be a starting All-Star if he ever had to move there.

Now, what other all-time great in the name of JOHN HENRY can anyone remember actually moving from the outfield to a middle infield position?
    Ease up on JH and/or his managers. In his reign the Sox have won 4 WS. In Willie's 22 seasons with the Giants, they won 1 WS. Kike had a terrific year in 2021 and was one of the big reasons the Sox made it to the postseason and then to the ALCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Ease up on JH and/or his managers. In his reign the Sox have won 4 WS. In Willie's 22 seasons with the Giants, they won 1 WS. Kike had a terrific year in 2021 and was one of the big reasons the Sox made it to the postseason and then to the ALCS.
    You must have misread my post. I said all-time great -- like Marcus Betts -- who moved to the middle infield and still led his league in WAR...

... not grate, as in the kind of unpleasant rasping sound the crowd made whenever Kike Hernandez fielded a ball at shortstop for Boston.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    ...win lose or whatever, regardless of anything JH has or has not done, Willie Mays was the best I ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    ...win lose or whatever, regardless of anything JH has or has not done, Willie Mays was the best I ever saw.
    I only saw him on TV, when he was much older. It's hard to imagine anyone was better.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?