Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 6/16 Yankees at Red Sox

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    It wasn't long ago that the analytics folks were saying that stolen bases were overrated and not worth the risk. I guess they will admit they were wrong .
    Incorrect. They never said that about stolen bases. Analytics discussed what success rates impact runs scoring. Now they did at one point recommend minimizing stealing bases if you are maximizing launch angle/exit velocity, because the increase in home runs should decrease the need for stolen bases. But that’s not the same thing.

Anyway, from 2018, there is this:

https://batflipsandnerds.com/2018/11...e-stolen-base/

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Baseball changed the dimensions of the bases to encourage basestealing. I kind of like basestealing, but am less sure than you it's been the key to the Sox offense. Far from it, in fact. The Sox right now are ranked 5th in base stealing and 5th in team OPS, but they are just 11th (actually 10th because 10th San Diego has 1 more run and 3 more games than the Sox) in runs scored.
    I thought they increased the base size to make it safer for middle infielders to turn double plays in the absence of the Neighborhood Play…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It's worth it depending upon success rate, personnel and matchups. The increase in base size helps somewhat, but I think the pitch clock and limitations on pitchers throwing to 1b had a bigger impact.

Pitch clock and pick off limits are huge.

Ian Hamilton made two quick pick off attempts at David Hamilton last night. After the second I was thinking “David Hamilton can take 45 foot lead right now and there’s nothing Ian Hamilton can do.”

I really didn’t use their full names, but it looked confusing when I just used Hamilton for both…

Felt good to get series win!

Let’s do the same against Toronto.

Jays have won 5 of their last 6 series. Should be a tough series for us

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Ian Hamilton made two quick pick off attempts at David Hamilton last night. After the second I was thinking “David Hamilton can take 45 foot lead right now and there’s nothing Ian Hamilton can do.”
    Does running at the baserunner with the ball count as a pickoff attempt?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Does running at the baserunner with the ball count as a pickoff attempt?
    Yes.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

I really didn’t use their full names, but it looked confusing when I just used Hamilton for both…
    i know you know this but he can make a 3rd pickoff attempt. he just has to get the runner out or it's considered a balk. i actually saw this happen a couple weeks ago in a AA MiLB game. dude took a huge lead and was nailed on the 3rd pick off attempt.

Two moments I especially liked in last night's game:

1) Zack Kelly of course did an amazing job. But that 3-2 pitch to Torres for the first out was bonkers. Torres has got to be looking fastball all the way, and Kelly/Wong dial up a sweeper way the heck out of the zone to punch his ticket. That took some balls.

2) Wong has played a bit like 2004 postseason Johnny Damon this year: no smiles until the game is won, and probably not then either. Stoic. So to see him fired up after his big triple was really exciting. Loved that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Agreed, and it was a good gamble to take.
    Not a good gamble with no outs or one out. Good gamble with 2 outs.