Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/11 Phillies @ SOX 7:10PM ET

Even when Smith makes a nice play he almost throws it away or gets crawford killed on the toss. PoS

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    I would cut Smith when casa comes back and keep Red Sox lifer, Bobby Dalbec, just because people like him.
    Will Casas be one swing away from the IL again after he returns? The SOX aren't going anywhere, so I see no reason to 'rush' Casas return.

So Houck will have 6 days of rest between starts. I certainly hope this long gap between starts doesn't mess up his timing. But Cora knows best I've been told.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Almost always to 2B.
    The Red Sox have the highest error rate/game in MLB .
    When you also can’t hit, that’s a deadly combination.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscars View Post
    The Red Sox have the highest error rate/game in MLB .
    When you also can’t hit, that’s a deadly combination.
    They’re a last place caliber team. They haven’t yet entered the dungeon but they will soon. Right now they are a mediocre team at .500 (and there’s nothing worse than being a mediocre team) but the truth is that AGAIN they are a bad team.
    It’s getting old.

Like most great pitchers you have to get them early, which the SOX tried to do, but failed. Now it's long past early.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Solo HR pending.
    His last time up, his last 2 strikes were against curves well below the strike zone. I believe he swings at almost any curve because he is not sure he can hit fast balls.

This just might be the worst Sox lineup I can remember because they are wimps at the plate, especially with men on base, and they are the worst team in MLB in the field.

The Phillies took the 3-1 lead on an error on a throw to 1b, which is supposed to be the easiest play in baseball. Just stick that huge mitt somewhere in the path of the ball. If it's in the ground, the error is always on the thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    They’re a last place caliber team. They haven’t yet entered the dungeon but they will soon. Right now they are a mediocre team at .500 (and there’s nothing worse than being a mediocre team) but the truth is that AGAIN they are a bad team.
    It’s getting old.
    This homestand has a high likelihood of being a 1-5 outcome, with entry to last place AL East , door wide open.

An optimist would say that if it weren't for Schwarb's 2 bombs and Smith's error the Sox would be leading the Phillies , 1-0 with a great effort by Crawford.

OTOH, a pessimist is rarely disappointed

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    So Houck will have 6 days of rest between starts. I certainly hope this long gap between starts doesn't mess up his timing. But Cora knows best I've been told.
    You implied, so I have to respond. Cora managed the Sox to their best season in their history. Granted, he definitely had the lineup and the pitching although Kimbrel did not impress in the postseason. Then DD left, as did Mookie and Price. Sale went on the IL. But still the Sox made it to the postseason in 2021--without a closer! Not only that, but they made it to the ALCS, which the 2016 and 2017 teams could not do. Oh, and DD's 4th Sox team 2019, didn't even make it to the postseason despite the highest payroll in MLB. Pitching collapsed, of course they did.

And this year the Sox have no business being at .500 with that absolutely horrendous defense, inconsistent offense (especially with men on base), and now struggles with the pitching. When they went to Chicago to play the White Sox, the home team was on a 13 game losing streak and still split the series, 2-2, because of the Red Sox players, not their manager. And tonight against a good team, the 2d and 3d runs scored by the Phillies are both unearned because Smith can't catch a throw to 1b with that gigantic glove.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    You implied, so I have to respond. Cora managed the Sox to their best season in their history. Granted, he definitely had the lineup and the pitching although Kimbrel did not impress in the postseason. Then DD left, as did Mookie and Price. Sale went on the IL. But still the Sox made it to the postseason in 2021--without a closer! Not only that, but they made it to the ALCS, which the 2016 and 2017 teams could not do. Oh, and DD's 4th Sox team 2019, didn't even make it to the postseason despite the highest payroll in MLB. Pitching collapsed, of course they did.

And this year the Sox have no business being at .500 with that absolutely horrendous defense, inconsistent offense (especially with men on base), and now struggles with the pitching. When they went to Chicago to play the White Sox, the home team was on a 13 game losing streak and still split the series, 2-2, because of the Red Sox players, not their manager. And tonight against a good team, the 2d and 3d runs scored by the Phillies are both unearned because Smith can't catch a throw to 1b with that gigantic glove.
    It’s not Cora. This full throttle team is simply bad. One of the worst Sox teams I have ever seen-and I’ve seen a lot of them. While somehow they are at .500 now they will end up much worse. Another season to hold your nose.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    An optimist would say that if it weren't for Schwarb's 2 bombs and Smith's error the Sox would be leading the Phillies , 1-0 with a great effort by Crawford.

OTOH, a pessimist is rarely disappointed
    I'm not an optimist, at least not this year with that defense. The dinger was off the first pitch of the game, a fast ball right down the middle--and Schwarber was ready for it. The error was about standard for these Sox.

To be honest, Wheeler has looked pretty good tonight, once he got past those two leadoff hits and the sac fly by Refsnyder. To win against the Phillies with their excellent record, you need to play tough, and I don't see much toughness in these Sox.

Wheeler , who has a very low BB rate, is going against a team of batters whose strategy on 3-2 counts is to try and fake the umpire into a walk, instead of hacking the ball. Where do they learn this ? They didn't get to MLB by being shy.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Houck is on pace to blow away his career high in IP at any level of baseball. He has also had an injury history.

Do we think he should get 190+ IP, this year?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Wheeler has pitched well tonight, and Schwarber has those 2 dingers.

But guess what? We've in the 7th and, without that 2 run error, the game would be 2-1, Phillies. And the Phillies are a much better team.

moonslav has been griping about the Sox defense for what seems like centuries, but this season has exposed just how devastating bad defense can be. Don't forget all the weak defensive plays that aren't errors but should have been made.