Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/11 Phillies @ SOX 7:10PM ET

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    He was the worst Cooper to play for the Red Sox.
    Just ahead of Criswell?

And where does Scott rank on this list?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Jen is reporting it’s 90% Phillies fans out around Fenway. Love it!
    Why?

It doesn’t matter to Henry who buys the tickets. As long as someone does…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    474 winning % (Marlins at 460, Padres at 465, Rockies at 464)
    11,279 losses (#1)
    2 WS (Rockies, Padres have 0)

They have a good claim at worst franchise of all time, but the 2 World Series titles kind of turns it around. Over the past 50 years, they've been a fairly good franchise. Their distant past is what drags them down. That's history pal!

Marlins are pathetic, but have a few rings. Rockies and Padres have similar W/L and neither have won a World Series. Rockies have Rocktober. Padres beat the Cubbies for an episode of Punky Brewster. I believe the worst franchise of all time is the Padres. Their 5th highest career bWAR guy is Andy Ashby at 22.6 bWAR (he wouldn't be top 5 for the Rockies who have a 25 year disadvantage).
    That’s fair.

Those “bad years” for the Phillies were actually loaded with serious HOF talent. But somehow the failures of this team got ignored. Growing up we all heard about the futility of the Cubs and Red Sox with their long WS droughts. And everyone ignored the Phillies - an original team on the Senior Circuit - didn’t win a World Series until 1980.

The White Sox - whose title drought started the year before Boston’s and ended the year after - are the other team whose long history of failure largely gets ignored. Including in your analysis. How did you forget that team?

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why?

It doesn’t matter to Henry who buys the tickets. As long as someone does…
    It wasn’t about if the park is filled, or not, but that Philly fans are outnumbering the Red Sox fans at Fenway. WHY? Philly fans have more to cheer about.
    🙈🤭

Deity
    It wasn’t about if the park is filled, or not, but that Philly fans are outnumbering the Red Sox fans at Fenway. WHY? Philly fans have more to cheer about.
    ����
    But that helps Henry maintain his spendthrift ways. He doesn’t care if opposing fans come; in fact, he appears to be counting on it…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But that helps Henry maintain his spendthrift ways. He doesn’t care if opposing fans come; in fact, he appears to be counting on it…
    That’s a whole SEPARATE discussion. The MAIN point is Philly fans outnumbering Red Sox fans at Fenway.

Deity
    That’s a whole SEPARATE discussion. The MAIN point is Philly fans outnumbering Red Sox fans at Fenway.
    Yes, and it’s not good for the Red Sox by any measure. Unless you enjoy watching the team flounder and hope it continues…

If John Henry doesn't care if Phillies fans take over Fenway, then I will dislike him even more than I do now.
    Old school is good school.

By Houck not starting tonight he will not have a start against the Yankems. I think that sux.

Deity
    The discussion was about DD Phillies, which only has to do with 2021 to the present. Still take Boston’s 2022, 2023, and 2024?
    Phillies are doing well under DD and the Sox have struggled, 2022-24. All true.

However, the Sox lost all six ALDS games in 2016 and 2017 with DD in charge--even with the 3d highest payroll. In 2018, with the highest payroll in MLB, they had the best Sox season ever, thanks in part to DD.

But in 2019 they didn't even make the postseason with the biggest payroll. Moreover, it was a good bet that, about the time DD was fired, he was asking JH for a bunch more money--over and above the biggest payroll in MLB--to outbid the Dodgers for Mookie and to pay for expensive replacements for Price and Sale (while also paying their hefty salaries).

CB wasn't the answer, but I don't think JH knew exactly what kind of a CBO and team he wanted. The two things he was sure of were that Mookie was unaffordable--with which I agree because the Dodgers could afford to pay more--and that he wasn't going to shell out major dollars for starters any more. Too risky. However, Giolito has a $39M contact for 2 years, which is now a $39M for 1 year because he went on the IL in spring training and we have no idea when or whether he will start next season.

I think DD overall has an excellent track record as a CBO. But I don't blame DD for getting rid of him after the disaster of the 2019 season--and the even greater demands DD would make on what was already the biggest payroll in MLB. On paper Craig Breslow looks like a very good fit, but right now CBO for John Henry just might the toughest CBO job in MLB.

Kids in the nieghborhood: "Ms O'Neill can Tyler come out and play?"

Ms O'Neill: "Now boys, you know how fragile Tyler is. He's gonna stay in his exercise room until I think it's safe for him to go outdoors."

Kids: "Well, can we come in and watch him lift weights?"

Ms O'Neill: "OK, but please don't disturb his concentration."
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 06-11-2024 at 05:55 PM.

IMHO, Wheeler is one of the 3 best pitchers in MLB. Hopefully. I've just jinxed him for tonight's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Phillies are doing well under DD and the Sox have struggled, 2022-24. All true.

However, the Sox lost all six ALDS games in 2016 and 2017 with DD in charge--even with the 3d highest payroll. In 2018, with the highest payroll in MLB, they had the best Sox season ever, thanks in part to DD.

But in 2019 they didn't even make the postseason with the biggest payroll. Moreover, it was a good bet that, about the time DD was fired, he was asking JH for a bunch more money--over and above the biggest payroll in MLB--to outbid the Dodgers for Mookie and to pay for expensive replacements for Price and Sale (while also paying their hefty salaries).

CB wasn't the answer, but I don't think JH knew exactly what kind of a CBO and team he wanted. The two things he was sure of were that Mookie was unaffordable--with which I agree because the Dodgers could afford to pay more--and that he wasn't going to shell out major dollars for starters any more. Too risky. However, Giolito has a $39M contact for 2 years, which is now a $39M for 1 year because he went on the IL in spring training and we have no idea when or whether he will start next season.

I think DD overall has an excellent track record as a CBO. But I don't blame DD for getting rid of him after the disaster of the 2019 season--and the even greater demands DD would make on what was already the biggest payroll in MLB. On paper Craig Breslow looks like a very good fit, but right now CBO for John Henry just might the toughest CBO job in MLB.
    It blows that a player who is out for the season with an injury still gets his full salary. I say put Gio on Workmens Comp.
    Same goes for SOS (Same Old Story.)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The Red Sox have a great history. No doubt. But that makes it more aggravating that they have allowed this to happen. Meanwhile, Phillies fans are having a blast. They are not concerned about what happened years ago.
    When you say "great history," you seem to mean "ancient history." The Sox best season ever was just 6 years ago--and that was the Sox 4th WS in 14 season after the 86 year drought. And 3 years ago they made it to the ALCS, which is something that DD did with the Sox exactly once in 4 years, and when he did it he had the top payroll in MLB.

I admit I'm not too happy with the Sox right now, but I also think JH has earned the right to do whatever he wants with this team.

That said, I agree we fans are fickle. What have you done for us lately?

Schwarber jumps Kutter on pitch #1. Get ready boys, the heat is on