Register now to remove this ad

Page 53 of 109 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades?

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Breslow did an interview within the last week. I don't have a link, but it is on YouTube somewhere and he mentioned Grissom a few times. My take is that he expects Grissom to return this year and contribute. Accordingly, I don't think the Red Sox are pursuing a 2b--I think they are content with Hamilton until Grissom returns.
    I doubt we do anything major with everyday players, unless we lose faith in a Casas or Grissom return.

I do think we may do a mid level deal for a RHd 2Bman, SS or 1Bman.

Any major or near major deal should be for a SPer.

While the D at 2B/SS has been and still is bad, our O has been decent since about June1st for Raphael’s, Romy. Valdez and DHam.

I think a Rez rolls the current dice at 2B.

Maybe he trades a LHd OFer for a RHd OF or middle IFer.

We need pitching first.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Breslow did an interview within the last week. I don't have a link, but it is on YouTube somewhere and he mentioned Grissom a few times. My take is that he expects Grissom to return this year and contribute. Accordingly, I don't think the Red Sox are pursuing a 2b--I think they are content with Hamilton until Grissom returns.
    At the rate Campbell is getting promoted and embarrassing AA pitchers, maybe he is able to answer the call before Grissom…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    At the rate Campbell is getting promoted and embarrassing AA pitchers, maybe he is able to answer the call before Grissom…
    I think we see Valdez again.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think we see Valdez again.
    I hope they simply use Hamilton and Romy in a platoon. And at some point, msybe Grissom comes back.

Unless they really like Andy Ibanez and can get him from Detroit…

LMAO!
    The pink hat crew is in rare form on the trade deadline thread!

It’s a youth movement and the youth is on the verge of making an impact. To think Henry hired Breezelow to make a deadline deal with any impact is delusional. Breezelow is keeping the seat warm for Epstein when he takes over baseball ops next winter

Who’s the clown who just said trade Teel, is it the same clown who said trade Mayer last deadline cus he was hitting .205? How’s that looking now genius?

If Henry is paying attention, you dump the “beer leaguer over achievers” (see Hamilton) for Pitching depth which again is an Organizational dumpster fire. Outside of one or two young sp prospects in the lower system, Crockett again hasn’t developed any but that’s another discussion
    Case and point tonight with a beer leaguer from Detroit on the mound you lose!

After KC loss 16 28 vs Teams with a 500 or better record, you might be knocking on the playoff door but the Championship door is welded shut

Yorke to 2B after break
    Mayer to SS in September Rafaela to CF
    Anthony September call up
    BJordan 1B Casas into DH role in September
    Teel
    Mata starting rotation see what you got
    Activate Grissom and send him to AAA for further development

Take calls on O’Neill Yoshida Pivetta Janzen see who will overpay for developmental Pitching

Those are the facts and the The facts are undisputed !

Deity
    I doubt we do anything major with everyday players, unless we lose faith in a Casas or Grissom return.

I do think we may do a mid level deal for a RHd 2Bman, SS or 1Bman.

Any major or near major deal should be for a SPer.

While the D at 2B/SS has been and still is bad, our O has been decent since about June1st for Raphael’s, Romy. Valdez and DHam.

I think a Rez rolls the current dice at 2B.

Maybe he trades a LHd OFer for a RHd OF or middle IFer.

We need pitching first.

I have my doubts about Casas's return, but no hard evidence he won't.

Teel, Lugo, and Jordan OR Romero to Blue Jays for Guerrero and Bassitt OR Gausman OR Berrios

Teel, Lugo, and Jordan OR Romero to Blue Jays for Guerrero and Bassitt OR Gausman OR Berrios
    They all cost too much for JH to accept, and only Berrios is under control beyond 2025.

Throw in Yoshida and maybe…

Yusei Kikuchi is another Blue Jays starter to consider, a free agent at the end of the season. Not great, but would give the Red Sox some SP depth. Obviously, the key piece/acquisition would be Guererro.

Gausman is interesting in that he has been a quality starter in the past but is having a down year. Can the Red Sox figure out a way to get more out of him? The Blue Jays would probably like to move on from Gausman, since he will make 23 million next year and 23 million in 2026. Taking on Gausman would probably reduce Guererro's trade value since the Blue Jays would like to dump the contract. Bassitt is the more attractive SP option for Boston--he is having a better year than Gausman and is only signed for one more season.

Teel, Lugo, Jordan, and Romero for Guererro, Bassitt, and a relief pitcher?

The cheaper route for the Red Sox would be Teel, Lugo, Jordan, and Romero for Guererro, Kikuchi (free agent at the end of the season), and a relief pitcher.

It is hard to know which Blue Jays starter would be most appealing to Breslow. He seems to have particular preferences, but I don't know what they are.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-13-2024 at 07:56 AM.

Yusei Kikuchi is another Blue Jays starter to consider, a free agent at the end of the season. Not great, but would give the Red Sox some SP depth. Obviously, the key piece/acquisition would be Guererro.

Gausman is interesting in that he has been a quality starter in the past but is having a down year. Can the Red Sox figure out a way to get more out of him? The Blue Jays would probably like to move on from Gausman, since he will make 23 million next year and 23 million in 2026. Taking on Gausman would probably reduce Guererro's trade value since the Blue Jays would like to dump the contract. Bassitt is the more attractive SP option for Boston--he is having a better year than Gausman and is only signed for one more season.

The cheaper route for the Red Sox would be Teel, Lugo, Jordan, and Romero for Guererro, Kikuchi (free agent at the end of the season), and a relief pitcher.

It is hard to know which Blue Jays starter would be most appealing to Breslow. He seems to have particular preferences, but I don't know what they are.
    Brez is not the one who decides on adding $30M+ to the budget.

He’d have to get TOR to take Yoshida or Story for the money to be acceptable to JH.

Good job on the proposals. I wanted every one of the pitchers you listed to join the Sox before the Jays paid what it took to land them.

I just can't get include Teel in a deal, because potential star catchers are so rare. I know Wong is improved, but this may also be his peak...

Instead, I'd have to include Mayer -- but only if Vlad is part of the return. It's ironic, that every year I've been on this board, posters have advocated drafting the best player available -- invariably a shortstop (the position the best amateurs always play) -- and it's ok to stockpile a surplus, because you "can always trade them for pitching."

The Red Sox keep drafting and signing middle infielders... and yet, never trade them for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Good job on the proposals. I wanted every one of the pitchers you listed to join the Sox before the Jays paid what it took to land them.

I just can't get include Teel in a deal, because potential star catchers are so rare. I know Wong is improved, but this may also be his peak...

Instead, I'd have to include Mayer -- but only if Vlad is part of the return. It's ironic, that every year I've been on this board, posters have advocated drafting the best player available -- invariably a shortstop (the position the best amateurs always play) -- and it's ok to stockpile a surplus, because you "can always trade them for pitching."

The Red Sox keep drafting and signing middle infielders... and yet, never trade them for pitching.
    Trade for pitching, not Vladdy.

Top Sox OPS since1967 (1000+ PAs)
    .999 Manny R
    .956 Ortiz L
    .936 Vaughn L
    .923 Nomar R
    .902 Lynn L
    .895 AGon L
    .893 Betts R
    .890 Boggs L

JD, Youk, Everett, Jefferson, Stanley, Devers
    Rice, Mueller, Carbo, Yaz, Nixon, Evans, Fisk
    Greenwell, Daubach, Smith, Drew, Valentin, Easter
    All at .815 and above.

Trade for pitching, not Vladdy.
    The trade proposal was for both -- RHH bench guys, even with good splits, just aren't enough vs. a tough lefty like Ragans, as we saw last night.

I'm not thrilled about moving Teel. But I think it is possible that, in two years, J.Garcia can be where Teel is now as a prospect. In the meantime, Wong can hold down the position at the major level for a few seasons and then in two years Garcia will begin knocking at the door.