Register now to remove this ad

Page 43 of 87 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I keep hearing the Sox desperately need a right-handed bat. But where is this bat supposed to play?
    Ein gutefrage. If we are talking about this season, I think the infield, thus the DeJonge notion could have merit. Thus have Garciaparra and Bogaerts had the longest tenure as Sox SS's in the last 30 years.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    DH? Against LHP at the very least.
    Probably what we will see tonight--Ref at DH instead of Yoshida. But the funny thing is that really good righty bats can also hit righty pitchers.

My own pet theory on why the Sox have a losing record at home this season is not enough good righty bats to take advantage of the green monster.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Probably what we will see tonight--Ref at DH instead of Yoshida. But the funny thing is that really good righty bats can also hit righty pitchers.

My own pet theory on why the Sox have a losing record at home this season is not enough good righty bats to take advantage of the green monster.
    The pitching hasn’t been nowhere near as good at home as it’s been on the road either.

I keep hearing the Sox desperately need a right-handed bat. But where is this bat supposed to play?
    That was my point.

Not 1B, unless you think Casas is toast.
    Not DH as we have Ref for the platoon DH slot.
    Not catcher or 3B.
    We could swap a lefty OF bay for a righty to go along with O’Neil and Rafaela, but we aren’t benching Duran for an all righty OF. (Yes, Rafaela could play SS FT to make it happen, and Romy/DHam split time at 2B.

That leaves 2B or SS for a big righty bat who is not a negative on D. Name names or suggest an OF swap. Nobody wants Duran traded anymore, so it would have to be Abreu.

Interesting how the two guys perhaps most expendable are Aubrey and Valdez.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don’t disagree but we had bad D and bad O for years.
    Well that won't work for the playoffs, now will it?
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That was my point.

Not 1B, unless you think Casas is toast.
    Not DH as we have Ref for the platoon DH slot.
    Not catcher or 3B.
    We could swap a lefty OF bay for a righty to go along with O’Neil and Rafaela, but we aren’t benching Duran for an all righty OF. (Yes, Rafaela could play SS FT to make it happen, and Romy/DHam split time at 2B.

That leaves 2B or SS for a big righty bat who is not a negative on D. Name names or suggest an OF swap. Nobody wants Duran traded anymore, so it would have to be Abreu.

Interesting how the two guys perhaps most expendable are Aubrey and Valdez.
    Casas is nowhere close to being ready, and who knows what you’ll get out of him when he comes back, because he usually starts out slow as it is.
    DHam, and Romy have contributed, but are you comfortable with them in a pennant race? Raf Man has handled SS somewhat, but would be better FT in CF.

Fenway is a better hitters park for lefties than righties. It has a 112 factor for LHB and 104 for RHB. It's the #1 doubles park for lefties by far. That's not the case for righties.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity

Anyone can DH. I’d think they want a RHH for SS or RF. Of course they have Refsnyder (.899 vs LHP) and Romy Gonzalez (.833 vs LHP) capable of playing those positions, although neither is much defensively.

1b was the glaring need, but they aren’t going to platoon Casas, even though his slow start will be inevitable.

I think the Sox best all-around OF is Duran-Rafaela-O’Neill, but Abreu has been too good to bench or demote. I’m not a fan of bouncing players around defensively as part of a platoon, but Cora is clearly not bothered by it. But if he just commits to leaving Rafaela at SS, then I suppose a RHH platoon bat to compliment Abreu is the most likely add…

DH and dump Yoshida, who simply isn't good enough. Bottom line: you can't keep a DH who has an OPS+ of 92. He either improves or he is gone.

A better strategy: play the RHB at 1b, give Yohshida more time to hit and replace Yoshida with Casas later on if Yoshida continues to suck.

Anyone can DH.
    That was the issue with the Sox going all in on unproven Yoshida. If he didn't really hit, his poor defense was going to really sink the contract. Having him as DH only now is a killer.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Anyone can DH. I’d think they want a RHH for SS or RF. Of course they have Refsnyder (.899 vs LHP) and Romy Gonzalez (.833 vs LHP) capable of playing those positions, although neither is much defensively.

1b was the glaring need, but they aren’t going to platoon Casas, even though his slow start will be inevitable.

I think the Sox best all-around OF is Duran-Rafaela-O’Neill, but Abreu has been too good to bench or demote. I’m not a fan of bouncing players around defensively as part of a platoon, but Cora is clearly not bothered by it. But if he just commits to leaving Rafaela at SS, then I suppose a RHH platoon bat to compliment Abreu is the most likely add…
    Two guys who might fit the Sox here are Mark Canha and Randal Grichuk.

Both are free agents after this season. Canha (.851 vs LHP) hits lefties better but really is a bad fit for RF at Fenway. But he could DH with Refsnyder in RF. Grichuk (.792 vs LHP) fits better defensively, but isn’t hitting lefties as hard. Also the DBacks are only 2.5 games out of the WC despite being under .500. Their status as sellers is up in the air. They might deal Grichuk anyway since he is 5th or 6th on their OF depth chart. But they probably keep him if they’re not selling and platoon him at DH with Joc Pederson…

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Fenway is a better hitters park for lefties than righties. It has a 112 factor for LHB and 104 for RHB. It's the #1 doubles park for lefties by far. That's not the case for righties.
    Seems counter-intuitive (but that's baseball) because you'd think it's the wall that produces all the extra doubles and hitters pull the ball more than they go opposite field. Any theories?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Seems counter-intuitive (but that's baseball) because you'd think it's the wall that produces all the extra doubles and hitters pull the ball more than they go opposite field. Any theories?
    Maybe how the OFers are shifted against LHB allowing Monster doubles (rather than having a CF shifted closer to LF helping to hold a runner at 1b) plus there's a big open RF for lefties hitting with authority to leg out doubles.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    That was the issue with the Sox going all in on unproven Yoshida. If he didn't really hit, his poor defense was going to really sink the contract. Having him as DH only now is a killer.
    He proves the point. They signed him to play LF and found him to be a defensive liability and defaulted him to DH…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Average fastball velocity - 94mph. Going the other way isn’t always a choice…